What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The hemp seed hub: A thread for those who seek seeds and infos on hemp

ghostmade

Veteran
so tagged man!great op and thread

hemp is the most universal plants out there. from fuel, to food and everything else across the board.
i belive c.sativa is what is most used as "hemp" even though indicas would be great for hemp oils and extracts. i cant wait for this field to develop (once again ),in this millennium. lol

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
SAM, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE CORRECTIONS AND YOUR INSIDER KNOWLEDGE!
Acknowledgements also to all the others who find errors and add additional informations. I'll successively adapt and correct my first post accordingly.

So, it was really YOU who 'invented' Finola? Freaking gorgeous, really!!

I still have a question concerning your statement
Finola is not autoflowering.
-SamS
But it's supposed to start flowering at an age of 25 to 30 days... What triggers flower onset if not time/age? Is it the plants size? I can't see how Finola could be photoperiodic when it starts flowering in early summer high up north where they have up to 20 hour daylight (if only a mean of 10 hours sunshine). And where's the practical difference for a farmer/grower? I mean, it flowers very early and this is all that counts, right? Or did I miss a point concerning the definition of auto-flowering (which may easily be the case)?

Hemphrey Bogart

Veteran
Cool thread so far. Thanks for posting the thread up, OO.

I got a question though and I'm just curious....

If hemp becomes a major crop again in the states and elsewhere like it seems like it might...is it possible that some hemp pollen will hit some drug strains of cannabis that are being grown in the same vicinity as a hemp farm that is say 5 miles away or so?

I've heard that there are some hemp farms already in operation in Colorado, so it got me wondering about the possible negative ramifications surrounding the commercial growing of hemp.

Again, I'm sorry for the stupid question, but I'm just curious.

HB.

purple_man

Veteran
the vavilov research center in st. petersburg, might still be holding the oldest collection of cannabis cultivars -> great place to get real infos when it comes to history and heirlooms...

for commercial hemp variaties best bet is check out european hemp seed vendors

blessss

oldchuck

Veteran
Cool thread so far. Thanks for posting the thread up, OO.

Again, I'm sorry for the stupid question, but I'm just curious.

HB.

It's not a stupid question. The answer is clearly yes, but I think 5 miles is a stretch. Pollination is often an issue in agriculture. Takes different forms with different crops. All Cannabis varieties interbreed so what grows in your neighbor's field matters.

All farmers need to pay attention to how and by what their crops are pollinated.

Only Ornamental

Veteran
for commercial hemp variaties best bet is check out european hemp seed vendors
Problem is, that they usually sell in 25 kg sacks at a current price of € 250.- a piece. And where I live, it'll be monoecious varieties only *blork*...

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
...that are being grown in the same vicinity as a hemp farm that is say 5 miles away or so?
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Ehhh.... under ideal conditions it's a bit more... say, ten to hundred times more... But then, I'm not sure whether that pollen still is viable and you got to be really unlucky if such a long-range flier hits exactly your plants. Still, hemp produces a hell of a lot of pollen.
It truly is a problem, especially with nearby fields. There's a post here somewhere on icmag from a Spanish guy who said that they get even pollen warnings for allergic persons due to Moroccan hash plant pollen! And that's at least 50 to over 500 km from the Ref to mainland Spain (at least, it's decent pollen LoL).
[/FONT]Best in the case of hemp in the surroundings would be an indoor pollination to ensure an 'unharmed' offspring.

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Finola is not autoflowering.
-SamS

How do you define autoflower then? This variety flowers at 30-40 days after germination in 24/0. In my book that means autoflower, given they're not like lowryder in the sense that they can be put to flower earlier by reducing daylenght.

Interesting that you were the source of both strains. Which part of Siberia did they come from?

rawdietaryhemp

Quick phenotypes are not autoflowering, its a hormone. Really want to learn the difference try Photosynthetic Artificial Darkness/Rauber TEK on a rudy.

VonBudí

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ
Veteran
@ ornamental

off topic but something i was wondering do you know if its possible to make hemp silage? or what methods are used for preserving hemp for animal feed? or are just the seeds stored?
ty

Only Ornamental

Veteran
@Thule:
See HERE. It's the VIR database, go to the "oil and fiber" tab and search for "cannabis". Accession numbers 313 and 315 are both on page 13 and were collected in Kirov, Russia in 1957. Both strains are seemingly pretty similar.

N

new3

The Purpurea Ticinensis is a swiss red hemp strain. She is the result of eight years of selective breeding at 1300 meter elevation in the Tessinger mountains. Purpurea is an early blooming, red stemmed strain that turns completely purple-red in the cold. She grows anywhere and has no problems adapting. She is also resistant agains mold diseases. We are proud of the Purpurea Ticinensis, because she is an original swiss strain, and contains a low, natural amount of THC. She is suited as an ornamental plant or for essential oils because of her unbelievable scent.

Only Ornamental

Veteran
@new3: Uhhh... this is the "HEMP seed hub"; the purpurea is a drug type cannabis variety most certainly containing genetics from Afghanistan, Pakistan or the Maghreb maybe crossed with Swiss hemp varieties. I'm not sure whether the stroy told by Felix Kautz about the Ticino grandmas is true or not (besides, it's not Tessinger, if ever it'll be tessiner)... Back in the days when Owl/SwissSeeds (United Seedbanks) still was in Switzerland and hemp/cannabis cultivation was semi-legal, most of the outdoor crop got pollinated by fiber/seed hemp strains. Felix simply made a passion of that and selected hybrids with the benefits of both parents.
Due to the current law in Switzerland, all the old fiber/seed hemp varieties have disappeared (there may still be a few seeds stocked in heirloom seed banks, there's at least one at the VIR). What remains is the French Fedora 17 and privately grown drug type cannabis hybrids ;( . Oh, and the Swiss hemp varieties usually were green not purple ;) .
Truth be told, your right insofar that the purpurea is the only officially remaining and still cultivated Swiss cannabis variety no matter whether it is pure or not.

We are proud of the Purpurea Ticinensis because she ... contains a low, natural amount of THC
Do I get that right, you're from Switzerland? :wave:
But why would you be proud of a drug strain with low THC? That's rather an effect obtained by crossing drug type cannabis with fiber/seed hemp and has nothing to do with "natural amounts"...

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Small addition:
It seems that seeds from Carmagnola, Finola, a variety called Speedy, and a SwissMix (notably all THC-free hemp cultivars) are available at cannabis-helvetica.ch SHOP. Don't know why and how they can do that with the current Swiss legislation... still awaiting an email answer.

Only Ornamental

Veteran
I want some Yugoslavian hemp
A hemp variety registered in one of the countries of the former republic of yugoslavia or a Yugoslavian land race?
Just wondering why you want such a variety...
Because in Yugoslavia, mainly all the Hungarian varieties and the Italian Fibranova have been cultivated. Nowadays it's mainly Serbia which cultivates hemp and it seems as if they were gradually switching to 'Novosadska konoplja' which is a Fleischmann hemp selection and therefore of Italian origin.
Also, the Fleischmann hemp had a strong influence on Hungarian varieties and therefore most of the agricultural hemp in Serbia is closely related to Italian hemp.

On the other hand, I suppose that in this region you have a fair chance of still finding feral hemp (either endemic or more likely fibre hemp gone wild). Best chance here would be to find someone living there ;) .

Latest posts

Latest posts