What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ethiopian sativa

Kaskadian

Veteran
This is going to be a good one! Can’t wait to see how they all turn out for ya. Ethiopian is a very interesting strain. I was lucky enough to score a pack of the Ethiopian x Zamaldelica I bet there will be some badass plants in that pack.

Ethiopian x Zamaldelica sounds like a winner to me buddy! Awesome! I’d like to cross this Ethiopian to Malawi if time allows.

Ethiopian is not strong but it is a very nice and pretty unique high. I need to grow some of this again. Crossing it with something stronger makes a lot of sense as long as you don't mess too much with the Ethiopian high.
Sativa lovers should experience this high though. One of the most pleasant highs I've had.

This is going to sound ridiculous man but I want some herb that I can work around the property with; stuff like mowing the lawn, working in the garden, etc. I love that sativa buzz! I’m very excited to give Ethiopian a run.

Kaskadian

Veteran
I had a very small harvest and I tried to keep it for special occasions, I was surprised by the potency, it's definitely energetic and creeps. It's a bit too introspective for me if I want to just chill. It's not great if I am feeling a little stressed but I can appreciate how clear it is

I've had more potent but it's more potent than I thought it was going to be.

here's a bad picture I took before smoking the last of it.

View media item 18708455

I'll have to start a few seeds of the cross I made, I have a clone of this mom but there's no way it'll finish outdoors here, hopefully I find something good in the cross I made.

Great looking bud man! The creeper aspect you mentioned doesn’t surprise me but the potency sure does. How long has it been curing? I’m wondering if a long cure would change the effect.

Really appreciate the feedback.

burningfire

Veteran
just under 3 months... the potency just took me by surprise, I've had "landrace" africans in a commercial offering here called Congo and that was just a happy head high without the physical energy. This ethiopian was more physically stimulating. It creeped on me and then I realized I was pacing around the room feeling a little scatterbrained, which is kind of my normal mental state, this just amped it up. Mixing it with my mainstay which is kind of a balanced and happy high the Ethiopian still came through with a bit more introspection. I wouldn't call it jittery or racey but it's very active. Hopefully I can get a good Ethiopian influence in the cross for this summer.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
You don't know how happy makes me feel to see you back after so many years @Kaskadian :huggy: !
Feel free to make your own thread for the Ethiopian grow, or here as well in main sticky thread of the strain, both are fine.

Thanks a lot for your positive feedback @Chi13 @burningfire by reading your words can feel you really appreciate old classic sativas, although when their effects are not so strong, a few words resonate to me: energetic, creeper, pleasant, unique ... i would also add clean.

And with a bit of selection, surprisingly potent pure Ethiopians can be found from the released seeds.

Kaskadian

Veteran
You don't know how happy makes me feel to see you back after so many years @Kaskadian :huggy: !
Feel free to make your own thread for the Ethiopian grow, or here as well in main sticky thread of the strain, both are fine.

Thanks a lot for your positive feedback @Chi13 @burningfire by reading your words can feel you really appreciate old classic sativas, although when their effects are not so strong, a few words resonate to me: energetic, creeper, pleasant, unique ... i would also add clean.

And with a bit of selection, surprisingly potent pure Ethiopians can be found from the released seeds.

Thanks @dubi it’s great to be back my friend.

These baby Ethiopians have an incredible wingspan! They look like they could fly away if they wanted. :D

Feeding is now between 250-300ppm and I’m keeping a close eye on them for over feeding. I don’t plan to exceed 300 ppm for quite some time.

8F8D0BC7-D596-49CB-8822-4DF8070F1076.jpeg
58C8B189-5573-4D96-9853-3B878E2CE68A.jpeg
736156D0-935E-4D35-8B69-A49F5E6E0864.jpeg

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
heheheheh they do really have that tropical look from the very start @Kaskadian

Well done @Keif Cake :yes: i like a lot how the Ethiopians are fllowering indoors there, they seem to enjoy with your type of light, setup and your good cares, that's for sure :) The smaller one has indeed really abundance of huge trichomes, better than the average. This pure Ethiopian was poor in resins as we received it, but getting better and better after doing our selections, now line has much better terpenes and effects, and higher cannabinoid contents too.

Keif Cake

Veteran
heheheheh they do really have that tropical look from the very start @Kaskadian

Well done @Keif Cake :yes: i like a lot how the Ethiopians are fllowering indoors there, they seem to enjoy with your type of light, setup and your good cares, that's for sure :) The smaller one has indeed really abundance of huge trichomes, better than the average. This pure Ethiopian was poor in resins as we received it, but getting better and better after doing our selections, now line has much better terpenes and effects, and higher cannabinoid contents too.
Thank you! Thats really good information to know! You've done really good work then, because both have plenty of resin. I will get more pics up soon, they are starting to fill in quite well

jogrow

Looking super nice @Keif Cake . I use the same strategy vegging in 1L and then flowering in 4L. Think the increased wet/dry back cycles improved resin production, and flowering time is definitely reduced. How’s the aroma on your Ethiopia coming? I’m about to pop 12 to pheno hunt and work into my Durban lines, looking to find one high in THVC, @dubi is there any telltale aroma or bud structure that would indicate higher chance of THCV on the Ethiopians?

Keif Cake

Veteran
Looking super nice @Keif Cake . I use the same strategy vegging in 1L and then flowering in 4L. Think the increased wet/dry back cycles improved resin production, and flowering time is definitely reduced. How’s the aroma on your Ethiopia coming? I’m about to pop 12 to pheno hunt and work into my Durban lines, looking to find one high in THVC, @dubi is there any telltale aroma or bud structure that would indicate higher chance of THCV on the Ethiopians?
I'm not really sure how to describe the smell, can certainly tell there is Pinene, i guess it could be best described as a clean fresh scent, not really piney but nice

The taller longer flowering one has been quite unstable, and thankfully the shorter Christmas tree shaped one is longer flowering and stable

20230419_205243.jpg
20230419_205152.jpg
20230419_205220.jpg
20230419_205220.jpg
20230419_205152.jpg

Keif Cake

Veteran
I do believe my first Ethiopian is ready for harvest. It wont be tonight though.

I haven't seen any new nanners in a couple weeks, I'm set for life on Ethiopian seeds now, S1's and fems. it'll be nice to get her sister back in the tent.
20230502_224451.jpg
20230502_224355.jpg
20230502_224336.jpg
20230502_224316.jpg
20230502_224241.jpg

Attachments

• 20230502_224340.jpg
    20230502_224340.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 54

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Wonderfully grown @Keif Cake you are a doing an amazing job there providing to your indoor system a great environment for tropical sativa indoor cultivatation :love: love at first sight for all us sativa lovers with such long, big tropical colas! Great looking resins and flower leaf ratio as well. A pitty the taller one showed some nanners in late flowering, Ethiopian line is not so fully sexually stable yet at P3 stage like our other older sativas lines, but in my experience even those Ethiopians showing bananas indoors rarely do the same outdoors. Of course better select the nicest for effects and terps that show strong sexual stability in your environment.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
I’m about to pop 12 to pheno hunt and work into my Durban lines, looking to find one high in THVC, @dubi is there any telltale aroma or bud structure that would indicate higher chance of THCV on the Ethiopians?
Thanks for your support @jogrow Good luck with your upcoming pure Ethiopian selection :yes: Please, keep us updated.

Unfortunately i cannot give you a better reply at the moment since we did all the Ethiopian breeding and analyses of tyhe strain before our local lab could detect THCV, but in my breeding experience terpene profiles and chemotypes are not heavily linked traits.

Keif Cake

Veteran
Wonderfully grown @Keif Cake you are a doing an amazing job there providing to your indoor system a great environment for tropical sativa indoor cultivatation :love: love at first sight for all us sativa lovers with such long, big tropical colas! Great looking resins and flower leaf ratio as well. A pitty the taller one showed some nanners in late flowering, Ethiopian line is not so fully sexually stable yet at P3 stage like our other older sativas lines, but in my experience even those Ethiopians showing bananas indoors rarely do the same outdoors. Of course better select the nicest for effects and terps that show strong sexual stability in your environment.
Thank you! I always appreciate the compliments, and continually trying to improve the system, and little by little it's getting better and better.

Im not too much complaining about the nanners, plenty of seeds, and it appears that the longer flowering, shorter Christmas tree shaped one in the same pot is going to be much more fragrant, and is pretty rock solid sexually, she has been out in the room that isnt exactly dark in the daytime, it's not brightly lit, but id expect being in those conditions could be quite stressful, no signs of instability at all.

Keif Cake

Veteran
Is anyone familiar with Dog Fennel? A common weed that grows.

The smell you get when you crush it, thats the smell im getting the Ethiopian thats about to be harvested.

goingrey

Is anyone familiar with Dog Fennel? A common weed that grows.

The smell you get when you crush it, thats the smell im getting the Ethiopian thats about to be harvested.
Interesting. They say its essential oil is antifungal, bodes well for growing the Ethiopian outdoors.

Unfortunately I have no idea what it smells like. Like roadkill skunk, another roadside smell specific to North America. :D

Keif Cake

Veteran
Interesting. They say its essential oil is antifungal, bodes well for growing the Ethiopian outdoors.

Unfortunately I have no idea what it smells like. Like roadkill skunk, another roadside smell specific to North America. :D
I was wondering how widespread this invasive was as i typed that.
I do remember reading something about medical benefits before, never felt the need the experiment myself.