What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Who has legit durban poison?

browntrout

Veteran
Two phenos in the DP Durban Poison for me, it's an IBL from early 90's stock. One ever so slightly fruity and very pungent stink, the other more spicy with more airy buds and slight purple. This one has been going for some time, seemed like it was in the ripening stages. will post back with smoke test.

BT

Apomixis

So if by good authority the Durban Poison was an early maturing strain(like many South African varieties), why are the longer flowering Dutch Passion stock being represented as the original? What am I missing?

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Not all the Durban Poinson strains are early maturing... in fact, most are late just like most african tropical varieties, but in South Africa existed a big amount of hybridisation for decades (just like Jamaica, Mexico, etc). It's simply because of the latitude, there is no need for any tropical strain to be early maturing as there aren't short summers in those latitudes. Neither they should have big calyxes and compact buds if they have pure african genetics in their heritage. You just need to ask yourself about the modern mexican or jamaican strains that can be found in the past decades.

I've seen other pure south african strains like Swazis, Cape Town, Durban and so on flowering all of them around 15-17 weeks. So I wonder what's going on with this "fast durbans" being all from the same latitude? Of course either they have been hybridised or they were took from other places.

Of course any of the "dutch" durban poison strains are indeed durban/skunk hybrids (probably from the same source, so all relatives) and if other faster pure Durbans do exists, they have been hybridised for sure in my opinion. All african strains are descendants from the same tropical indian strains so there's no reason for any hashplant looking 8-10 week african landraces lol.

vibes.

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Of course any of the "dutch" durban poison strains are indeed durban/skunk hybrids (probably from the same source, so all relatives) and if other faster pure Durbans do exists, they have been hybridised for sure in my opinion. All african strains are descendants from the same tropical indian strains so there's no reason for any hashplant looking 8-10 week african landraces lol.

vibes.

SamS knows Durban Poison very well, if I remember correctly it was him who bred the faster flowering version. Without any Skunk at that point.

I have to disagree about ALL African strains being derived from south Indian genetics. Morocco and Egypt are in Africa too and the strains are closer to Midde Eastern varieties.

I would think the ME influence goes much further than that as the first farmers would have brought the species to North Africa millenia ago. This how ever is debatable :) I still think we shouldn't underestimate the influence arabs used to have in Africa later on:

ic
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/83/African_slave_trade.png
ic

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
I have to disagree about ALL African strains being derived from south Indian genetics. Morocco and Egypt are in Africa too and the strains are closer to Midde Eastern varieties.

Hey bro, yeah of course... I was speaking about pure tropical strains (Eastern, Southern and Equatorial Africa strains) and not the northern and magreb hashplants. So all this Middle Eastern strains were probably hybridized with the tropicals at some point originating faster maturing african hybrids, so I still have my doubts about the purity of any 8-10 week plant in tropical regions. :biggrin:

Thanks for the interesting document as well. :tiphat:

Vibes.

Bulldog420

Veteran
I have a buddy that has kept the same Durban since the mid 90's. I have never seen the cut or the flowers from it (buddy moved out of state) but he has sent me seeds. The seeds are hybrids, but the Durban leaning pheno's where really racy. Good hybrids for sure.

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Hey bro, yeah of course... I was speaking about pure tropical strains (Eastern, Southern and Equatorial Africa strains) and not the northern and magreb hashplants. So all this Middle Eastern strains were probably hybridized with the tropicals at some point originating faster maturing african hybrids, so I still have my doubts about the purity of any 8-10 week plant in tropical regions. :biggrin:

Thanks for the interesting document as well. :tiphat:

Vibes.

Africa is a massive continent, Egypt lying at 26 degrees north and South Africa 26 degrees south. Cape good hope is at the 34th parallel south which corresponds to Afganistan in Central Asia, so not that tropical at all. I'm just doing a bit of stoned research but my point is that this far from the equator you can expect to see a trend towards faster and stockier phenotypes in cannabis.

We don't really know where the dagga cultivated by the Khoisan originated from and if it contributed to the modern genepool but it was there when the Dutch arrived and the local words for cannabis have no Indian substrates which hints at a different origin. South Africa then went on to have immigrants from all parts of India, also the hashproducing areas in the north.

That's why I think we now have a very mixed bunch of strains down there. Those pink pistils in Durban Poison or Angola Roja did not originate in southern India.

D. B. Doober

Boston, MA
Veteran
So if by good authority the Durban Poison was an early maturing strain(like many South African varieties), why are the longer flowering Dutch Passion stock being represented as the original? What am I missing?

marketing BS...the Dutch Durban Poisons with the exception of Dutch Passion are all crossed with a Skunk #1 and aren't really Durban Poison.

sal opette

ICMag Donor
Followed a link here to an old Durban tread

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=76594

Here's Sam The Skunkman over there describing his Pinetown Durban Poison

Well you are dead wrong Miss T,
I bred the Durban Poison in the early 1970's in Cali and it was early from the get. it came from the 30th latitude and I did the work at the 37th. It was also small plants and hermi but I worked on it for a few years got rid of the hermis, and selected for big bracts, and spicy taste and high, as well as earlyness, and cleaned it up. No Hybidization, No acclimatization, just hard work killing all the rejects and keeping only the best for the goal. I did have a lot to select from!
BTW it is pure from S Africa, never hybidized, if you refer to my S.African Durban Poison, which has been around for many others to copy and/or hybridize from the mid 70's, until recenty when other S African seeds suppliers have also sold seeds from S Africa or with S African genes in it. My S African Durban Poison is early enough that it can be grown outdoors in the ground in Holland 53rd latitude if the winter is a bit late and moderate, maybe 30-50% of the years. BTW I have also grown many pure Durban seeds from S Africa that were not early like mine.
-SamS

This is apparently the stock the got sent to the Netherlands and the basis of Sensi and DP's Durban - which are both now hybridised, well thats my experience 1996-present day.

sal opette

ICMag Donor
I bought packs from the Sensi seed shop in Amsterdam 1996 and then again in 1997, very early 8weeks, totally sativa plants light green, very thin stems, formed a lovely wine glass shape when pinched out, big airy foxtail buds of small calyx, with loads of tiny resin heads. The high was short but bright, personally had great visual effects with really over saturated colours, some found it too racy. Not high potency, single figure % THC probably but a very inspiring, light, energetic high. Tasted sweet, spicy, flowery, woody, known as "plasters" because when cured it had an antiseptic taste and smelled like old style pink fabric plasters (or err think you call them Band-aids in the US)

Pretty much experienced everything purple_man's bro did back in late 90's

great info fambz! :)

to be honest, im not sure about dutch passions version... back in the days (end of 90s) a bro used to grow lots of durban, sensi and dp, the strange thing to me was: dutch passions version had the broad leaves and rounded buds, like on the pix above from yoss, it did taste different guess thats the anise/liqurice flava BUT the effect was always red eyed couchlock for me (we speak about 100s of plants grown over the years from seeds...), never found a single uppedy plant in it... sensi seeds used to be a whole different story, their version produced mostly thin leaved plants and spear shaped buds, with a similar flavor, more spicy/minty, and 90% + phenos were uppedy, rather short lived high (1h approx.), but after 2k2 or so, the sensi versions changed... became wispy, hempy, hay tasting, phenos most of the times, and germination probs occured ...

Then 3 years ago... I tried a pack of Sensi and a pack of DP's Durban-

DP's plants were all dark green with purple highlights very sturdy stems, they were definitely a hybrid by the structure and shape of the buds The high was pretty good but definitely it had some body to it. - again I agree with purple_man's bro on the DP's

Sensi... well they had changed loads and there was little in common with the 1996 & 7, some smells only reminded me a bit of what I remember but with minty dutch indica mixed in. It was more sativa in structure than the DP's (but more indica than the 90's Sensi ones), light green with thinnish stems and branchy but the buds were very indica influenced and the high was muddy.

sal opette

ICMag Donor
Hey Doober, I think there is a Hightimes article where they grow a A/B test of the Durban and the Sensi, the results are the total opposite to what purple_man's bro and I experienced. :ying:

Apomixis

Being as that Sam bred and NAMED Durban Poison, the question begs to be asked what have these supposedly African seed companies been sending stateside?

-Kanza

SpaceBros.

Being as that Sam bred and NAMED Durban Poison, the question begs to be asked what have these supposedly African seed companies been sending stateside?

-Kanza

Durban Poison we all know and love comes from Durban South Africa. Apparently Ed Rosenthal was responsible for bringing it back from South Africa in the 1970's. The Durban these African seedbanks are selling now are recent collections of the same or similar plants found in and around Durban, SA. They have similar characteristics of Dutch 70's Durban - early flowering for a Sativa, uplifting high and anise aroma with a slightly longer flowering time. Nothing unusual there.

idiit

Veteran

i've worked with three 'seeds of africa' strains; durban,malawi gold, zamal.

their durban was a mixture of genetics hand collected in africa. i have one nice durban#2 female in clone form. i grew her outdoors last year and she was not finished by the polar vortex freeze that hit here 11/15. did have some anisce terps, but subtle. the buds are still strong in the potency department and is the most up/energetic smoke of anything i've grown outdoors.

their malawi gold and zamal are the real deal imo.

i almost got busted last fall and ditched my camera and everything else out in the woods getting away from a "boots on the ground" stakeout.

i have a new camera on its way that will take better pics. than my old point and shoot compact. i'll post pics. once i get the camera. i have one durban female clone in flower now and can take pics. of some 2015 durban od buds.

OldSSSCGuy

Amazing the folklore created around some things.

What's wacky is that I knew a guy who lived in Umbilo (A Durban suburb), where he went after leaving Vietnam in the late 1960's. When he came back to the USA in like '72-'73 he brought a selection of seed with him from the Nam, Thailand and SA; including an indigenous Durban strain he called "Zulu" because it came from KwaZulu in Natal. He grew and bred all sorts of intermixes from that stock. I could easily be wrong on this one but I always thought (assumed) he bred the "Durban-Thai Highflyer" which was sold by the SSSC. That said, he was not a very friendly fella and did almost all his breeding in Arkansas and Tennessee and Indiana so the geography does not bare out. However he did talk of close friends in San Francisco and Zaandam (just outside of Amsterdam)- and I know for a fact that he shared his breeds with other growers in those cities at the time but I have no idea exactly who they were.

Now I read that Ed Rosenthal and Sam were almost the 'fathers' of the original Durban strains. Makes it seem like no other human had ever been to SA or returned with a native sativa. Just feels a bit like telling the Cheyenne or Shosone tribes that Lewis & Clark discovered the Grand Canyon, eh?

Just sayin'

SpaceBros.

Amazing the folklore created around some things.

What's wacky is that I knew a guy who lived in Umbilo (A Durban suburb), where he went after leaving Vietnam in the late 1960's. When he came back to the USA in like '72-'73 he brought a selection of seed with him from the Nam, Thailand and SA; including an indigenous Durban strain he called "Zulu" because it came from KwaZulu in Natal. He grew and bred all sorts of intermixes from that stock. I could easily be wrong on this one but I always thought (assumed) he bred the "Durban-Thai Highflyer" which was sold by the SSSC. That said, he was not a very friendly fella and did almost all his breeding in Arkansas and Tennessee and Indiana so the geography does not bare out. However he did talk of close friends in San Francisco and Zaandam (just outside of Amsterdam)- and I know for a fact that he shared his breeds with other growers in those cities at the time but I have no idea exactly who they were.

Now I read that Ed Rosenthal and Sam were almost the 'fathers' of the original Durban strains. Makes it seem like no other human had ever been to SA or returned with a native sativa. Just feels a bit like telling the Cheyenne or Shosone tribes that Lewis & Clark discovered the Grand Canyon, eh?

Just sayin'

Well obviously the locals had been breeding and growing for sometime. I think the name Durban Poison may have been coined prior to Eds excursion. In any case we have to give credit to Ed, Mel and Sam for making it available to the masses and the Western world.

Latest posts

Latest posts