Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Organic Soil > Soil, water, and tea questions

Thread Title Search
Soil, water, and tea questions Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-13-2018, 01:47 AM #331
moose eater

Location: Off a dead-end dirt road, near a river, out of town, in the hills and trees
moose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivor
Thanks for the code for savings. That'll come in handy, and makes up for the $2 price difference.

Haven't yet tasted the Sea90, but coming from the Sea of Cortez, I wondered what psycho-active properties it might possess? ;^>)

Apparently there were heated arguments in the Meat Dept at Sam's Club. Good place to get bloody, as it'd be harder to isolate DNA there. Animal? Human? Neanderthal? No difference to speak of? All of the above?

I'd have to go check my notes, but I had added the Sea90 directly to the mix, dry, with all the other amendments, for a good tumble or three.. or four..

I can pretty much guarantee that I exceeded the limits you're employing with the stuff. I'd commented earlier that the leaves on some of the moms looked like plants with excess salts. Little bit saggy and weary. Every now and then they flip me the bird.

I need to decide soon if we're going to use our own seed, taken from this last year's spud harvest (all of which was quite productive with the exception of the Delta Rose; a nearly total dud, despite the seeds having nice characteristics.. made me wonder .. again, more wondering...). If we're ordering seed from down south (18 lbs. +/- to a USPS flat-rate box), then I need to start getting my list thought out..

Other than that and my shop, I can't even comprehend using energy thinking about the veggie garden at this point.

Sun's going down. Looking for a deal on a 4-place snow-go trailer to be able to take sufficient freight sleds and machines into the mountains for my two sons and I. It's getting on that time of year for an extended visit to 'mountain lake church services.' 'Nuther couple months or so.
moose eater is offline Quote

Old 01-13-2018, 12:14 PM #332
h.h.

h.h. is a glorious beacon of lighth.h. is a glorious beacon of lighth.h. is a glorious beacon of lighth.h. is a glorious beacon of lighth.h. is a glorious beacon of lighth.h. is a glorious beacon of lighth.h. is a glorious beacon of lighth.h. is a glorious beacon of lighth.h. is a glorious beacon of lighth.h. is a glorious beacon of lighth.h. is a glorious beacon of light
It's summer for winter around here. The ground is starting to freeze but mostly where I've provided water.
I put in 100 trees last year which left me behind in developing garden beds. That and I don't move as fast anymore. A couple hours plowing and I'm ready for my nap.
Not my pictures. Same plow. My dirt bike, not. My snow machine, not. My plow. My solitude. I once rode Huskys and BMWs, now I push a Subaru.

Quote:
Sodium appears to be required for many plants native to sodium-rich soils. Plants that need sodium also include species that have special types of photosynthesis adapted to hot, sunny climates (C4 and CAM photosynthesis). These include cacti, succulents, and many warm-season grasses such as corn and sugarcane. In some plants, sodium can have a variety of beneficial effects and can substitute for some potassium; in others, sodium can be toxic.

Plaster, Edward. Soil Science and Management (Page 304). Cengage Textbook. Kindle Edition.

Quote:
it’s mighty sad when average health has declined to the point that people become fatally ill from exposure to a little animal shit.
Solomon, Steve; Reinheimer, Erica (2012-12-04). The Intelligent Gardener: Growing Nutrient Dense Food (p. 271). New Society Publishers. Kindle Edition.
h.h. is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:32 PM #333
moose eater

Location: Off a dead-end dirt road, near a river, out of town, in the hills and trees
moose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivor
I'm thinking this is a good time for a Yucca extract bath for the mums, and see if they feel any brighter about tomorrow. Neutralization of salts seems to be in order right now.

Fruit trees? Ornamentals?

We can typically plant carrots and spuds about May 20-25th, and most bedding plants can go into raised beds here between then and (the classic 'put your plants out' date) June 1st. Not that we -can't- get frosts after June 1st, but that's traditionally been the mark on the calendar for many here for putting veggies, etc., outside.

Hot houses can be a bit earlier, and varies fairly radically anymore, depending on the year/spring. During some recent springs, folks could have gotten away with hot house planting in early to mid-April, and one or two years we could've planted outside by later April, setting a record not too many years ago where we reached temps in the +80 range. Incredible. And no, these weather patterns aren't exactly 'normal'; not within my life-time, anyway.

Folks who grow reefer outdoors here often start the clones or seeds about February or March. If done outdoors, and not auto-flowering, keeping them in anything up to a portion/section of a 55-gal drum, and movable via a hand-truck or (????) so they can be taken into a shed manually, or (???) to provide the photo-period.

Greenhouses can be blocked off from light, and the newer agricultural cloth (white cotton-canvas looking stuff) permits not having the traditional black poly visible from the air, that used to amount to a neon sign for aircraft that translated into, "HEY!!! OVER HERE!!! WE'RE GROWING WEED!!"

All sorts of applicable methods for making 12 hours of darkness for the ladies when the Sun says there's actually 20 or so.

But by mid-to-later August, they need to be long-ago ripened and cut. We can have frost in mid-August, most of August is wetter, and back when we got more typical weather, we have seen notable amounts of snow as early as September 1st in this area.

Cantwell one year got a freakish storm that left them 5" of snow in early or mid-July.. Depressing moments for a gardener.

A friend in the mountains has seen destructive hail come that time of year or in later June, but they're at 1,500 ft. above sea level, and we're just over 500 ft. where I am.

Shorter gardening season compared to many places down south, but when the Sun's visible for 21' 50" the plants go ape-shit, if in correct soil, etc.

Old 01-14-2018, 03:38 PM #334
h.h.

h.h. is a glorious beacon of lighth.h. is a glorious beacon of lighth.h. is a glorious beacon of lighth.h. is a glorious beacon of lighth.h. is a glorious beacon of lighth.h. is a glorious beacon of lighth.h. is a glorious beacon of lighth.h. is a glorious beacon of lighth.h. is a glorious beacon of lighth.h. is a glorious beacon of lighth.h. is a glorious beacon of light
I was doing the manual thing a few yeas back. I was just running CFL's at night and moving them outside during the day and then outside to finish. As long as everything finished before May/June.
I tend to give them 24 hour light during veg. It always seems to work the best for me. At least with CFL's. Google seems to agree.

I have around 200 fruit trees. Maybe 10 nut trees, grapes, currents, and gooseberries.
Too many days going hungry. Everything is dual purpose. If I can't consume it or it doesn't serve to aid my consumables,..
Flowers are my ornamentals. I only excuse them because the support beneficial insects.

Just under 6,600' here. The weather is temper mental. It will warm up in spring and then have a cold snap. Much depends the wind and mountains to the west.
I don't know what has influenced what the most, the wind currents or the mountain? Or was it the snow and rain? The chicken or the egg?
The weather circles around us. Mostly sunshine with the odd storm wiping everything out.
I have thoughts of covering the hoop houses with hardware cloth for hail protection. They could double as bird pens.
I'd like to do some fish ponds under them. I could probably grow out some tilapia. Don't much care for tilapia. Not a lot of value. Rather have trout. That takes running water, but that's what makes them healthy.

Need to change my light setup. Five little ones looking healthy yet a bit frail. I could put them outside to harden them off a bit.
Too much work now days. They're all in the basement.

Need to get some heat to the garage. Put everything on a flatbed trailer.

Quote:
it’s mighty sad when average health has declined to the point that people become fatally ill from exposure to a little animal shit.
Solomon, Steve; Reinheimer, Erica (2012-12-04). The Intelligent Gardener: Growing Nutrient Dense Food (p. 271). New Society Publishers. Kindle Edition.
h.h. is offline Quote

Old 01-14-2018, 10:01 PM #335
moose eater

Gave some yucca extract last night to the SLH and GTH#1 mums. 1-1/4 cups of H2O2/gal. with 2 tsp. of a 10% yucca extract. Haven't visited them yet this morning. We have a mutual restraining order with each other; I promise not to disturb them unnecessarily, and they promise to still look somewhat healthy when I do drop by. A Hollywood or Prudhoe Bay pipeline worker marriage, of sorts..

In the process of procuring a 4-place trailer (maybe) to enhance the ability to take a third person with a third machine to the mountains, should my older son be able to get the time. I become more neurotic than normal when spending larger amounts of money. Deer in the headlights, until I can find some internal balance that says, "Hey.. What ever.. It's all good," and actually bullshit myself into some sense of calm about the security of the immediate future.

I began a thread inquiring about functional LED BR or PAR 30-38 flood style LED bulbs in the range of an actual 10-15 watts, with an equivalent output of 120-150 watts incandescent/conventional bulb, potentially in the far red spectrum, to add to my boxes, in the corners, to add to the red spectrum, maybe a bit of blue, and increase watts of light therein and thereby. So far no hits. May need to go back to offering free beer.

Old 01-14-2018, 10:48 PM #336
h.h.

I ordered this one a few days ago. Bit of a chance. A lot cheaper than the equivalent looking light on Amazon. I've ordered other stuff from this outfit with no complaints on quality. Orders take about 20 days.
https://www.gearbest.com/grow-lights...47.html?wid=21

Quote:
h.h. is offline Quote

Old 01-15-2018, 12:40 AM #337
moose eater

Thanks. I'll give it a peek.

Heading down to the River now for a bit.

May or may not end up following through, & putting the mums into the gigantic planters here, a size or 2 up from the Classic 2000s, in order to inspire a return to greater happiness among them before taking cuttings.

Go backward a bit in many changes, keeping the better ones, but reducing amounts, and doing my own math instead of relying on others set recipes. It seems to work out a bit better when I play it that way.

Old 01-15-2018, 02:01 AM #338
h.h.

I can't say yay or nay on the light' It has few specs listed. I can say more when it gets here. That may be a good 2 weeks.

Quote:
h.h. is offline Quote

Old 01-15-2018, 02:06 AM #339
moose eater

The river was still there. Nestle hasn't stolen it yet. Probably too much silt for them, without an additional investment in purification that would cut too deeply into their taking something for nothing from the Public, and making a kazillion % profit on it.

Too big of a river to hide, or I'd start investing more wasted energy, scheming about camouflaging it.

Old 01-15-2018, 02:16 AM #340
moose eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.h. View Post
I can't say yay or nay on the light' It has few specs listed. I can say more when it gets here. That may be a good 2 weeks.
That's been the bulk of the problem with the lights of that sort I've looked at on-line.

Some have 5 reviews, others maybe a hundred or so. They're not the most popular lighting for this 'industry,' but they have their place.. I think what I want to use them for is an example of such.

But of those persons giving them a (what ever-star review or mark), there's rarely a way to determine what the buyer's level of experience with growing -anything- is, and may simply amount to, "The plants didn't die right off, and the spectrum looks cool, though everything appears to have a yellow hue when I look away after staring into it.. Cool!"

Very little meaningful data.

May be a niche market for some canna-friendly lighting guru.. 'LED flood lamp consultant.'

I'm sure I've got at least 4 weeks before the application would become more urgent. Clones, then vegging en masse in 3" cubes with a bit of veg soil, then bloom soil into what ever final (larger) containers.

Probably at least 4 weeks, and the way my energy has been, maybe an assignment to leave someone in my Last Will and Testament; "(Person X) can have x, y, and z from my estate, but first they must run a crop in my boxes, with these specific changes, and then they may inherit the described kibble."