You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Organic Soil > Soil, water, and tea questions

Thread Title Search
Click to Visit Dark Heart Nursery
Soil, water, and tea questions Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-13-2018, 12:44 AM #331
moose eater

Location: Off a dead-end dirt road, near a river, out of town, in the hills and trees
moose eater has a brilliant futuremoose eater has a brilliant futuremoose eater has a brilliant futuremoose eater has a brilliant futuremoose eater has a brilliant futuremoose eater has a brilliant futuremoose eater has a brilliant futuremoose eater has a brilliant futuremoose eater has a brilliant futuremoose eater has a brilliant futuremoose eater has a brilliant future
I located a very reasonable price on pumice in Los Anchorage. I think they can also compete well re. rock phosphate.

Lowe's will likely forever be the better perlite source, for what remains as necessary in the various mixes.

Thus far, zeolite and rice hulls are going to be shipped in from afar, unless I place an advance order preceding my trip to Anchor-town, and at this point, the timing isn't right. I'll be in A-town well before they can get a large bag of rice hulls in for me.

The zeolite is most attractive from 2 different spots; one a mine where I envision a couple guys with cheap canned beer in their hands, leaning on a front-end loader, sweating in the later winter sun, while filling bags with granules into larger flat-rate USPS Priority Mail boxes, and the other that advertises 'free shipping,' but where the pricing conspicuously resembles other's lesser-priced materials, with the cost of the aforementioned flat-rate box figured in. Another 'no free lunches' moment.

Maybe save all of $2 going with one over the other. So, the 2 tank-top bros in the desert, or the store with the catchy name and variety of offerings?

I hesitate to hit the 2 or 3 more troubled mothers with a foliar spray, knowing the NPK and other numbers on the amendments already added; again, presuming those numbers are accurate.. cough cough...

That said, if I do attempt some emergency first aid via foliar amendments, it'll be very light, and limited to 1 or 2 guinea pigs. If they become contorted, shrink in size, and begin hollering "Help me!! Help me!!' in a shrill voice, I'll know I'm in the wrong movie.

Reviewing amendments on-line last night, I saw one site that, at the bottom of the page, stated something about the 'Down to Earth' guarantee. I wondered about the time-frame involved, and if filing an inquiry about the changes in bat shit 15-18 years ago would fly in their claims dept. All without knowing exactly what their stated guarantee consists of.. Presumably it would be along the lines of "We guarantee you're shit out of luck."

With my internet slower than ever, I didn't click the link and find more chores to do in the middle of the night... I sometimes know when to accept defeat without getting too bloody.

Same source in Los Anchorage that has reasonable prices and availability on their pumice supply, wanted too much (imo) for the 8-oz. canister of Great White; I can clip an easy $20 off their pricing with free delivery elsewhere, but they did have Mammoth P, and some other goodies I'll need/want.

Off to another exciting day. Got some of my shop work done yesterday that had been languishing.

I'm told the Sam's Club in town has begun closing. A person I know went by there, and in a place with diminished budget for LE, I was told there were no fewer than 4 squad cars there, providing security and traffic control. At least 5 U-Haul trucks parked in the parking lot, and people had been standing in line for hours before it opened at -15 f. in order to score all of 25% off of items that often/sometimes run as high or higher as sale prices in the regular stores.

I know of persons who've used Sam's Club bulk Miracle Grow organic soil in larger bags, and wondered what they'll do now?

I wondered how much of a proposed (real or not) bargain needs to be announced for people to behave like hyenas on a zebra kill?

I wondered if people in Japan watch our mayhem over such events, in the same manner we watched the morbid mess when folks there were trampled to death over a toilet paper sale 30-some years ago?

I wondered how many on either side of the salt water realize there's little difference in such displays of weirdness?

I wondered how many people have the cash & free time on-hand to load up a whole truck with marginal deals,. on a work day, in the middle of the morning?

I wondered if Sam's Club was paying for the extra security apparently now required to run their fire sale, and taking up what is probably 90%+ of the City's currently-available LE tribe? (If it was a rock concert, the sponsors would likely get a bill for such BS. Will the Wal-Mart Klan suffer such indignity?).

In short, any more, I wonder a LOT.

The lines of vehicles reportedly reached over to the adjacent mall's parking lot, with cars and pick-ups (some of them reportedly loaded like the Beverly Hillbilly's truck) jamming every entrance, and nearly every sq. ft. of asphalt. The lines at the door and police presence led the person I spoke with to wonder if there'd been the customary Black Friday fisticuffs over that -one- item left that some otherwise ordinary, ordinarily-more-sane grandparent would absolutely NEED for little Johnny!!!

Yeah.. We've obviously evolved.. Devolved.. Something.. As long as we're not stagnant. I hate standing still, unless I have a good doobie or line of coke happening... Or maybe a good beverage.. Or I'm tired.
moose eater is offline Quote

Old 01-13-2018, 02:27 AM #332
h.h.

h.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really nice
Those two guys drinking beer may be the same outfit that I ordered from originally. Wasted my time. A place out of Nevada, I think. Obsolete web site.
I went with Kelp4Less. Code HAPPYPLANTS for 5% off.

Opened a bag of SEA90. That stuff is gonna last a long time. Unless I want to brine a turkey or put salt out for the pigs. Deice my driveway. I can see easily over doing it. Have you ever tasted it?
Some sodium is good. They're recommended dosage was 1 tsp./gallon for drench.
I used a forth of that to a couple of gallons.

Plowing the ground on the south side of the house, getting ready for a small hoop house.

Recommended
h.h. is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-13-2018, 02:47 AM #333
moose eater

Location: Off a dead-end dirt road, near a river, out of town, in the hills and trees
moose eater has a brilliant futuremoose eater has a brilliant futuremoose eater has a brilliant futuremoose eater has a brilliant futuremoose eater has a brilliant futuremoose eater has a brilliant futuremoose eater has a brilliant futuremoose eater has a brilliant futuremoose eater has a brilliant futuremoose eater has a brilliant futuremoose eater has a brilliant future
Thanks for the code for savings. That'll come in handy, and makes up for the $2 price difference.

Haven't yet tasted the Sea90, but coming from the Sea of Cortez, I wondered what psycho-active properties it might possess? ;^>)

Apparently there were heated arguments in the Meat Dept at Sam's Club. Good place to get bloody, as it'd be harder to isolate DNA there. Animal? Human? Neanderthal? No difference to speak of? All of the above?

I'd have to go check my notes, but I had added the Sea90 directly to the mix, dry, with all the other amendments, for a good tumble or three.. or four..

I can pretty much guarantee that I exceeded the limits you're employing with the stuff. I'd commented earlier that the leaves on some of the moms looked like plants with excess salts. Little bit saggy and weary. Every now and then they flip me the bird.

I need to decide soon if we're going to use our own seed, taken from this last year's spud harvest (all of which was quite productive with the exception of the Delta Rose; a nearly total dud, despite the seeds having nice characteristics.. made me wonder .. again, more wondering...). If we're ordering seed from down south (18 lbs. +/- to a USPS flat-rate box), then I need to start getting my list thought out..

Other than that and my shop, I can't even comprehend using energy thinking about the veggie garden at this point.

Sun's going down. Looking for a deal on a 4-place snow-go trailer to be able to take sufficient freight sleds and machines into the mountains for my two sons and I. It's getting on that time of year for an extended visit to 'mountain lake church services.' 'Nuther couple months or so.

Old 01-13-2018, 01:14 PM #334
h.h.

h.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really nice
It's summer for winter around here. The ground is starting to freeze but mostly where I've provided water.
I put in 100 trees last year which left me behind in developing garden beds. That and I don't move as fast anymore. A couple hours plowing and I'm ready for my nap.
Not my pictures. Same plow. My dirt bike, not. My snow machine, not. My plow. My solitude. I once rode Huskys and BMWs, now I push a Subaru.

Quote:
Sodium appears to be required for many plants native to sodium-rich soils. Plants that need sodium also include species that have special types of photosynthesis adapted to hot, sunny climates (C4 and CAM photosynthesis). These include cacti, succulents, and many warm-season grasses such as corn and sugarcane. In some plants, sodium can have a variety of beneficial effects and can substitute for some potassium; in others, sodium can be toxic.

Plaster, Edward. Soil Science and Management (Page 304). Cengage Textbook. Kindle Edition.
h.h. is offline Quote

Old 01-13-2018, 04:32 PM #335
moose eater

I'm thinking this is a good time for a Yucca extract bath for the mums, and see if they feel any brighter about tomorrow. Neutralization of salts seems to be in order right now.

Fruit trees? Ornamentals?

We can typically plant carrots and spuds about May 20-25th, and most bedding plants can go into raised beds here between then and (the classic 'put your plants out' date) June 1st. Not that we -can't- get frosts after June 1st, but that's traditionally been the mark on the calendar for many here for putting veggies, etc., outside.

Hot houses can be a bit earlier, and varies fairly radically anymore, depending on the year/spring. During some recent springs, folks could have gotten away with hot house planting in early to mid-April, and one or two years we could've planted outside by later April, setting a record not too many years ago where we reached temps in the +80 range. Incredible. And no, these weather patterns aren't exactly 'normal'; not within my life-time, anyway.

Folks who grow reefer outdoors here often start the clones or seeds about February or March. If done outdoors, and not auto-flowering, keeping them in anything up to a portion/section of a 55-gal drum, and movable via a hand-truck or (????) so they can be taken into a shed manually, or (???) to provide the photo-period.

Greenhouses can be blocked off from light, and the newer agricultural cloth (white cotton-canvas looking stuff) permits not having the traditional black poly visible from the air, that used to amount to a neon sign for aircraft that translated into, "HEY!!! OVER HERE!!! WE'RE GROWING WEED!!"

All sorts of applicable methods for making 12 hours of darkness for the ladies when the Sun says there's actually 20 or so.

But by mid-to-later August, they need to be long-ago ripened and cut. We can have frost in mid-August, most of August is wetter, and back when we got more typical weather, we have seen notable amounts of snow as early as September 1st in this area.

Cantwell one year got a freakish storm that left them 5" of snow in early or mid-July.. Depressing moments for a gardener.

A friend in the mountains has seen destructive hail come that time of year or in later June, but they're at 1,500 ft. above sea level, and we're just over 500 ft. where I am.

Shorter gardening season compared to many places down south, but when the Sun's visible for 21' 50" the plants go ape-shit, if in correct soil, etc.

Old 01-14-2018, 04:38 PM #336
h.h.

I was doing the manual thing a few yeas back. I was just running CFL's at night and moving them outside during the day and then outside to finish. As long as everything finished before May/June.
I tend to give them 24 hour light during veg. It always seems to work the best for me. At least with CFL's. Google seems to agree.

I have around 200 fruit trees. Maybe 10 nut trees, grapes, currents, and gooseberries.
Too many days going hungry. Everything is dual purpose. If I can't consume it or it doesn't serve to aid my consumables,..
Flowers are my ornamentals. I only excuse them because the support beneficial insects.

Just under 6,600' here. The weather is temper mental. It will warm up in spring and then have a cold snap. Much depends the wind and mountains to the west.
I don't know what has influenced what the most, the wind currents or the mountain? Or was it the snow and rain? The chicken or the egg?
The weather circles around us. Mostly sunshine with the odd storm wiping everything out.
I have thoughts of covering the hoop houses with hardware cloth for hail protection. They could double as bird pens.
I'd like to do some fish ponds under them. I could probably grow out some tilapia. Don't much care for tilapia. Not a lot of value. Rather have trout. That takes running water, but that's what makes them healthy.

Need to change my light setup. Five little ones looking healthy yet a bit frail. I could put them outside to harden them off a bit.
Too much work now days. They're all in the basement.

Need to get some heat to the garage. Put everything on a flatbed trailer.
h.h. is offline Quote

Old 01-14-2018, 11:01 PM #337
moose eater

Gave some yucca extract last night to the SLH and GTH#1 mums. 1-1/4 cups of H2O2/gal. with 2 tsp. of a 10% yucca extract. Haven't visited them yet this morning. We have a mutual restraining order with each other; I promise not to disturb them unnecessarily, and they promise to still look somewhat healthy when I do drop by. A Hollywood or Prudhoe Bay pipeline worker marriage, of sorts..

In the process of procuring a 4-place trailer (maybe) to enhance the ability to take a third person with a third machine to the mountains, should my older son be able to get the time. I become more neurotic than normal when spending larger amounts of money. Deer in the headlights, until I can find some internal balance that says, "Hey.. What ever.. It's all good," and actually bullshit myself into some sense of calm about the security of the immediate future.

I began a thread inquiring about functional LED BR or PAR 30-38 flood style LED bulbs in the range of an actual 10-15 watts, with an equivalent output of 120-150 watts incandescent/conventional bulb, potentially in the far red spectrum, to add to my boxes, in the corners, to add to the red spectrum, maybe a bit of blue, and increase watts of light therein and thereby. So far no hits. May need to go back to offering free beer.

Old 01-14-2018, 11:48 PM #338
h.h.

I ordered this one a few days ago. Bit of a chance. A lot cheaper than the equivalent looking light on Amazon. I've ordered other stuff from this outfit with no complaints on quality. Orders take about 20 days.
https://www.gearbest.com/grow-lights...47.html?wid=21
h.h. is offline Quote

Old 01-15-2018, 01:40 AM #339
moose eater

Thanks. I'll give it a peek.

Heading down to the River now for a bit.

May or may not end up following through, & putting the mums into the gigantic planters here, a size or 2 up from the Classic 2000s, in order to inspire a return to greater happiness among them before taking cuttings.

Go backward a bit in many changes, keeping the better ones, but reducing amounts, and doing my own math instead of relying on others set recipes. It seems to work out a bit better when I play it that way.

Old 01-15-2018, 03:01 AM #340
h.h.

I can't say yay or nay on the light' It has few specs listed. I can say more when it gets here. That may be a good 2 weeks.
h.h. is offline Quote