You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > Smoking Devices and Accessories > Stone Pipes

Thread Title Search
Click to visit Zamnesia
Stone Pipes Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-27-2017, 04:50 AM #21
moose eater

Location: Off a dead-end dirt road, near a river, out of town, in the hills and trees
moose eater has a reputation beyond reputemoose eater has a reputation beyond reputemoose eater has a reputation beyond reputemoose eater has a reputation beyond reputemoose eater has a reputation beyond reputemoose eater has a reputation beyond reputemoose eater has a reputation beyond reputemoose eater has a reputation beyond reputemoose eater has a reputation beyond reputemoose eater has a reputation beyond reputemoose eater has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by paper thorn View Post
<a href="https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=75525&pict ureid=1810326" target="_blank">View Image
Had this piece of spotted sandstone. made a nice little pipe. i gave it to a friend for Christmas.

<a href="https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=75525&pict ureid=1810327" target="_blank">View Image <a href="https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=75525&pict ureid=1810328" target="_blank">View Image <a href="https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=75525&pict ureid=1810329" target="_blank">View Image
The sandstone works as well under heat as harder stones like granite or onyx??

I had a favorite (smaller) (white with touches of black?) onyx pipe 40 years ago from Mexico, that, when stood up on the end of the bowl, looked like an abstract little dude wearing a narrower top hat. Called him Stoney Brook.

My wife's been reading along on occasion, and is intrigued now; she's craft oriented, has the tile saw I referenced earlier, and sees the potential for some limited side income, perhaps at the local Farmers' Market or craft fairs..

Thanks!
moose eater is offline Quote

Old 12-30-2017, 01:18 AM #22
paper thorn

paper thorn is a splendid one to beholdpaper thorn is a splendid one to beholdpaper thorn is a splendid one to beholdpaper thorn is a splendid one to beholdpaper thorn is a splendid one to beholdpaper thorn is a splendid one to beholdpaper thorn is a splendid one to beholdpaper thorn is a splendid one to beholdpaper thorn is a splendid one to beholdpaper thorn is a splendid one to beholdpaper thorn is a splendid one to behold
finishing a couple dark pipes

hey moose eater, I smoked out of that sandstone at a Christmas party with a few old guys. we broke in that pipe and it hit great and never got hot that we noticed.

I've been wondering if I could get a local dispensary to sell them or sell them online or something as a business, but I'm not sure.

finishing up the black one i was marking on in the above post.

in an earlier post i showed the rock and blank this one came from and had it marked for cutting. here the bowl is drilled, and chipped out. the rest is likely to break the edge of the bowl,(which sucks) so I have to grind the rest of the material out.

Grinding the bowl with a sintered burr. so muck better than using worn 5 mm bits and things. still though, the plated burrs are better for rounding the edges of the bowl. but the sintered burr is way better for the bottom. The last pic shows it done.
the guy loves it.

a couple guys have asked me about getting one. i will be sending them out soon. fear not.

NFT, Bubba, rocks, cats, dogs and stuff Current Grow (sorta)

Old Seeds, New Strains (not) current grow OLD thread

Come on son 3600 watts OLDER thread

Great song, check it out.

Ray Hubbard singing Beauty Way

Quote:
im babbling again i see,better get to trimming....and some rush 2112!
unclefishstick

Rachel Flotard sing Anchor Song, she's so perfect, maybe it's the hair

Blaze Foley singing WW3, cool song
paper thorn is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-30-2017, 02:34 AM #23
moose eater

Location: Off a dead-end dirt road, near a river, out of town, in the hills and trees
moose eater has a reputation beyond reputemoose eater has a reputation beyond reputemoose eater has a reputation beyond reputemoose eater has a reputation beyond reputemoose eater has a reputation beyond reputemoose eater has a reputation beyond reputemoose eater has a reputation beyond reputemoose eater has a reputation beyond reputemoose eater has a reputation beyond reputemoose eater has a reputation beyond reputemoose eater has a reputation beyond repute
Nice stuff, Paper.

Cool.

Businesses often want a commission; how much, is the question.

Farmers' markets and craft fairs typically charge by the table/sq. ft. of space, so there's sometimes heavy over-head in that direction, too.

Up here, out on the Parks Hwy, and sometimes other roads, I sometimes see folks selling jerky or smoked fish, or even fresh seafood on ice from the coast, on the side of the road, at rest-stop pull-outs, with their sandwich-sign adverts ahead of their location a bit, and more immediately around their vehicle.

Not sure of the technical legality of it, but they do it, and it seems there's notably less over-head in taking that route.... Not to mention the opportunity to get out of the house, and away from home/town for some business-oriented camp-outs. ;^>)

My guess is that (up here, and a bit away from Federal turf), some place not too far from Denali on the Parks Hwy, would be a good bet; tourists coming and going to Denali, wanting something truly Alaskan, not mass produced with laser jigs in China.

No clue of similar options in your area. Just thinking of ideas.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:59 PM #24
paper thorn

paper thorn is a splendid one to beholdpaper thorn is a splendid one to beholdpaper thorn is a splendid one to beholdpaper thorn is a splendid one to beholdpaper thorn is a splendid one to beholdpaper thorn is a splendid one to beholdpaper thorn is a splendid one to beholdpaper thorn is a splendid one to beholdpaper thorn is a splendid one to beholdpaper thorn is a splendid one to beholdpaper thorn is a splendid one to behold

I thought this was quartzite when i started, but figured out as i cut it that it is sandstone. it has set just like this for a couple weeks. I'll probably finish it someday. maybe.

The spotted block is a really nice piece of sandstone. I have a blank of it cut but fucked it up by slicing too much off of it while shaping, so it's kind of small. i hate it when i do that.

The poker/scraper is a plagioclase feldspar handle epoxied onto a piece of brazing rod. Deja vu. i think i've written about this before.

Random pics to finish this post. The white one at this stage still had a way too fat stem, narrowed it down to look normal

I'm going to try to have a more coherent format, with more order.

like showing one from rock to pipe. i don't know. just seems unorganized to me.

Quote:
unclefishstick

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:18 AM #25
paper thorn

a few more pics.

This is a 10 mm hole saw in the water swivel. I drill 3 hole for the bowl and chip it out from the middle.

some of the ones i've been showing. mostly done. The pic on the right is a simple piece of stainless rod with a slit. i take a strip of wet/dry sandpaper and stick the end in the slit, wrap it around and use it like a burr to smooth out inside curves, like where the bowl and stem meet.

That sintered burr. looks like it is going to last a long time. I think i need to up the speed on the drill press when i use it though. the rest of the pipes mostly done.

Quote:
unclefishstick

6 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:21 PM #26
paper thorn

That's an oil stick I'm using to hone the stem hole with.

I get the sticks in assorted grits from 180 to 1200. They break easy and I'm not sure they work all that great, I'll find something that'll work better. I saw some round 4mm diamond files in four different grits. I'll be getting them soon, they should be better. Hopefully.

The pic on the right shows a bag of 5mm bits and a 10mm hole saw.

Sanding by hand because of all the curves.

here i've epoxied an old broken drill bit into the end of a 60mm long 5mm diamond bit so I can drill deeper holes. they simply do not make any 5mm hole saws over 60mm long. which is like 2 3/8" I want to make longer stems.

Quote:
unclefishstick

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:20 AM #27
paper thorn

One of those cheap sets of diamond burrs my wife got for me. i use them for rounding bowls and grinding curves.

This is the ones that I've been showing all done with screens.
i just previewed the post and about half of them have screens here and they look a little bland in the pic. I'm going to post some individual shots of them that might be a little better.

Then I'm going to go through the camera and the pics i have of the new batch. I've got them all mostly shaped, and have drilled a lot of holes. still lots more drilling to go. I think they're going to look pretty good.

Up first is this low profile black spoon.
it's actually more reddish brown, and that's not a crack on the side of the bowl, looks like a cat hair got in the pic.

Quote:
unclefishstick

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:10 PM #28
meadowman

meadowman is a glorious beacon of lightmeadowman is a glorious beacon of lightmeadowman is a glorious beacon of lightmeadowman is a glorious beacon of lightmeadowman is a glorious beacon of lightmeadowman is a glorious beacon of lightmeadowman is a glorious beacon of lightmeadowman is a glorious beacon of lightmeadowman is a glorious beacon of lightmeadowman is a glorious beacon of lightmeadowman is a glorious beacon of light
wow, some of the markings on them is beautiful….great work man!
meadowman is online now Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:57 AM #29
paper thorn

This is a sweet little jasper or agate that looks like a wood grain. I have some cool pics of it with its parent rock coming up.

This one is Siskiyou's if he wants it.

btw, JW, and anyone else I've promised a pipe to, hang on, I'm getting to it.

Quote:
unclefishstick

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:07 PM #30
moose eater

Very nice pipe!