Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Growing in Greenhouses > DIY light deep inside a greenhouse?

Thread Title Search
DIY light deep inside a greenhouse? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-19-2017, 04:04 AM #1
petert

petert is on a distinguished road
DIY light deep inside a greenhouse?

I've got a 30 X 50 gothic style greenhouse.. 5' roll up sides and 16' at the peak.
I'm looking to build a light dep structure inside the greenhouse for year round growing. I have 90 amps out there now, looking to up that to 200 amps.
Ideas for the build out inside the greenhouse? I'm thinking of at least a 20 x 30 structure.
petert is offline Quote

Old 08-19-2017, 01:30 PM #2
Limeygreen

Limeygreen is a glorious beacon of lightLimeygreen is a glorious beacon of lightLimeygreen is a glorious beacon of lightLimeygreen is a glorious beacon of lightLimeygreen is a glorious beacon of lightLimeygreen is a glorious beacon of lightLimeygreen is a glorious beacon of lightLimeygreen is a glorious beacon of lightLimeygreen is a glorious beacon of lightLimeygreen is a glorious beacon of lightLimeygreen is a glorious beacon of light
I would plan to have air exchange for when it is blacked out to control humidity. If you can I would also have it automated so you don't have to worry about opening and closing it.

If you look at some of the systems available they like to do on rails or poles rolling up, I would suggest to do it like a proper greenhouse system, have several runs of screen that meet together, the edges that meet you put a heavy duty strip to cover the seam where they meet on the edges (something like a 2-3 inch weather strip or door sweep). You can then have the sections controlled by wires and pulleys, you fix the wires in multiple anchor points on the edge (steel tubing) and have these wires (nylon wires) the top and bottom of the screen, this will help the screen from blowing up and down too much, try every foot or foot and half. Side walls I would have them fall straight down with a roll shaft running on a track, you can already buy something like this for the rollup sides on hoop houses or use some materials from a garage door kit, tracks, rollers and top rail could be fitted together for this purpose and then a motor to lift and drop it or hand crank to do the same.

If you want to do everything manually I would connect everything to pipe rails with something that glide on the them so pulling the screen is easy.

Old 08-20-2017, 08:58 AM #3
CrushnYuba

CrushnYuba is a jewel in the roughCrushnYuba is a jewel in the roughCrushnYuba is a jewel in the roughCrushnYuba is a jewel in the roughCrushnYuba is a jewel in the roughCrushnYuba is a jewel in the rough
Why inside? Automated outside covering is probably the easiest and cheapest
You could put another steel hoop structure inside up to 24x46 or so. Rollers and black out. It would basically be the same thing. You would just be losing square footage. Unless wind is a big problem, i don't see the point.
Why don't you give some info on your climate zone so you can get more help. General area and elevation.
CrushnYuba is offline Quote

Old 08-23-2017, 06:05 AM #4
petert

Yeah. I thought about outside. But I live in a very windy part of Oregon along with getting pretty decent dumps of snow in the winter!
General area is north central Columbia Gorge.
Warm, dry, windy summers.. cold, wet, snowy winter. 45N
petert is offline Quote

Old 08-24-2017, 07:21 PM #5
CrushnYuba

CrushnYuba is a jewel in the roughCrushnYuba is a jewel in the roughCrushnYuba is a jewel in the roughCrushnYuba is a jewel in the roughCrushnYuba is a jewel in the roughCrushnYuba is a jewel in the rough
Ok. Yea, cover on the inside. 24x46 straight wall steel structure inside works well. Automated rollers.
I would use some sort of renewable energy furnace. Propane to me is not feasible and i don't even get snow. You will have to vent and heat at the same time. Wood and pellet is cheap.

Lighting

Old 11-12-2017, 06:25 PM #6
self
ready for whatever

self is just really niceself is just really niceself is just really niceself is just really niceself is just really niceself is just really niceself is just really niceself is just really niceself is just really nice
i have a 20x36x12 gothic GH. Link in signature.
I ran cables the length of the GH every 5' and draped panda film over that (actually farmtek poultry blackout ) . It was pretty easy to haul back and forth. like this...

next year Ill hang it on pulleys or runners so it slides a little easier, but it definitely got the job done.
I get high winds here, I dont think an exterior dep tarp would survive very long. Also, winters, snow, etc.
I only need the dep tarp on 1-2 out of 4 runs a year, so this just made a lot more sense.
heat pumps, quest dehuey, CO2, drip irrigation FTW

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:53 AM #7
ubi

ubi has a spectacular aura aboutubi has a spectacular aura aboutubi has a spectacular aura aboutubi has a spectacular aura aboutubi has a spectacular aura about
Humboldt light dep retro fit kit. there are pics similar to what i built. kinda pricey but TOTALLY worth compared to the price of fabric black systems on farmtek. or even a foreverflowering GH.
i have a series 500 20w x 60L x 16h , built a 2x4 and pvc frame on inside. set rollers with control box, then ran panda film. used dehu's inside b/o area to control moisture, maybe louvered b/o vents w/fans to control temp.. i just used panda film for my first light dep run, and it stretched and tore holes all over the place. no bueno.
just my 2cents, get the americover tarp strong with sewn layers, but doesnt breath like fabric but fabric holds all sorts of nastiness.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:24 AM #8
raphenilweed

raphenilweed will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by self View Post
i have a 20x36x12 gothic GH. Link in signature.
I ran cables the length of the GH every 5' and draped panda film over that (actually farmtek poultry blackout ) . It was pretty easy to haul back and forth. like this...
View Image
next year Ill hang it on pulleys or runners so it slides a little easier, but it definitely got the job done.
I get high winds here, I dont think an exterior dep tarp would survive very long. Also, winters, snow, etc.
I only need the dep tarp on 1-2 out of 4 runs a year, so this just made a lot more sense.
heat pumps, quest dehuey, CO2, drip irrigation FTW
Best way. Run the cable through 1/2 poly tubing to help tarp slide easier.

I find it great humor watching these guys pulling wet tarp over wet greenhouse, slipping and sliding in the mud. Even with their overpriced hinge and 20 ft pole "tarp puller". If your going to do it that way run some pvc hoops over the GH to break the surface tension.

Damn stoners ditching science class in jr high.
raphenilweed is offline Quote

Old 01-14-2018, 10:07 PM #9
CrushnYuba

Manually doing anything is such a hassle but cables inside are definitely the best. With cables It's easy to pull but you still have to be There twice a day every day.
I sell auto black out retro fits locally for 1000$ that can be used on inside or outside covers. I'm sure With how common It's becoming others have kits With similar pricing.

Old 01-27-2018, 03:16 AM #10
petert

Hey crushn... my plan is to be completely auto. Right now my plant count is really limited, so I’m building a 16x25 pvc hoop 9’8” at the peak. Using Americover bold blackout tarp.
I’m interested in your kit!
petert is offline Quote