What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What is allowed for cloning in Recreational producers.

packerfan79

Veteran
So, my buddy has been hired as a grower for a Recreational marijuana business. I was offered a job with him.

He is claiming that we have to clone using Aloe Vera. Does anyone know if their are other options? I am all for using natural products, I don't understand is their an issue with rooting hormones. Maeby it's just California being stupid as always

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Try looking up the regulations regarding the subject matter.

Stoners can speculate all damn day and still not be correct in their assumptions.

I like to clone using aloe vera juice and fulvic/humic acid .
Whole leaf Lily of the desert is my preference, the one without potassium sorbate. the only ingredient other then aloe is citric acid.
Seems to work just fine.

N

naturalbornkilr

I don't mean to be rude but if you've been hired for a growers position in a legal commercial grow and don't know the answer to this question you're probably not fit for the job. What else are you going to need help with when problems arise? What are you going to do when you get pests , disease or mold? Ill throw you a bone here, an aero cloner with basic bloom fertilizer is going to be your best bet. If I were you Id start doing some serious learning and fast.

I think the OP is asking if it is against regulations to use anything besides Aloe.

I'm sure he knows how to clone, and isn't asking for tips on how to clone. But is asking for clarification on the regulations.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
I don't mean to be rude but if you've been hired for a growers position in a legal commercial grow and don't know the answer to this question you're probably not fit for the job. What else are you going to need help with when problems arise? What are you going to do when you get pests , disease or mold? Ill throw you a bone here, an aero cloner with basic bloom fertilizer is going to be your best bet. If I were you Id start doing some serious learning and fast.

Not good to just assume people are beginners. His question was specific regarding regulation.

To the OP, Willow water is also a good choice.

packerfan79

Veteran

I haven't been hired yet. It's an offer that was made. I haven't even decided if I am going to take the job. I don't even know what the pay is. I am not sure I want this to be my legitimate source of income.

My first reaction was why not use a cloner with mild nute solution. Obviously their is going to be a learning curve. The company is running 500 lights, I will be one of 20 growers working their. Recreational marijuana business is in it infancy. They just started the testing on July 1st. I won't be doing this solo.

packerfan79

Veteran
I think the OP is asking if it is against regulations to use anything besides Aloe.

I'm sure he knows how to clone, and isn't asking for tips on how to clone. But is asking for clarification on the regulations.

Central you are correct. I have almost 10 years growing under my belt. I have cloned in rootriot, rock wool, and coco. I use powdered cloning hormone, so aloe is new to me. I am just unsure if that is the best option.

MedResearcher

Veteran
Assuming it is out of fear of failing a lab test for illegal hormones. Nobody wants to throw away 1,000 units of indoor from a failed test.

I am skeptical that some dip and grow, or w/e would show up in the final product. They should make a small R&D experiment to find out first hand.

If the job description is glorified field worker, and not a grow manager. They are paying you to do what they say, over, over, and over again. No need to try to fix/change their set up. If something went wrong regardless if it was caused by you, you may take the blame because people like to blame others as well as change for their own mistakes.

Have a handful of friends who are always working for new startup mega farms. Same story, over and over. Some guy, with tons of money, with little growing experience. Plants tons, and hires some growers who have more experience than him. Instead of listening to the growers experience and brainstorming, he forces them to make all the mistakes that his heart desires. Then blames them at the end of the crop, after he failed to listen to any advice at all.

Really fantastic, old time grower. Pioneer in the indoor revolution through the 70-90's. He told me that cloning was 100% about the environment. Environment and plain water was all it took. He claimed that rooting hormone would actually slow the process down.

Mr^^

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm in agreement with your old timer friend, MedResearcher. I've been cloning cannabis plants since the 70's. I haven't used any rooting hormone powder on cannabis in years. I always get 100%. I count on it since I have many old heirloom clones. You may need some rooting hormone to root that citrus branch or that passion fruit vine, but you don't need it for cannabis.

packerfan79

Veteran
I guess I should try aloe Vera and see how it works. I am all for natural. I will try a few different ways. They are saying it takes twice as long to root. So mothers have to be of optimal health to give clones that can handle the extra time.

B

bench warmer

Assuming it is out of fear of failing a lab test for illegal hormones. Nobody wants to throw away 1,000 units of indoor from a failed test.

I am skeptical that some dip and grow, or w/e would show up in the final product. They should make a small R&D experiment to find out first hand.

If the job description is glorified field worker, and not a grow manager. They are paying you to do what they say, over, over, and over again. No need to try to fix/change their set up. If something went wrong regardless if it was caused by you, you may take the blame because people like to blame others as well as change for their own mistakes.

Have a handful of friends who are always working for new startup mega farms. Same story, over and over. Some guy, with tons of money, with little growing experience. Plants tons, and hires some growers who have more experience than him. Instead of listening to the growers experience and brainstorming, he forces them to make all the mistakes that his heart desires. Then blames them at the end of the crop, after he failed to listen to any advice at all.

Really fantastic, old time grower. Pioneer in the indoor revolution through the 70-90's. He told me that cloning was 100% about the environment. Environment and plain water was all it took. He claimed that rooting hormone would actually slow the process down.

Mr^^

Truth, truth & more truth.

Good luck packerfan! You seem to have a good attitude as well as relevant experience. Hopefully, they’ll recognize.

HHILL

Not to mention that many rooting hormones are not to be used with plants for human consumption... +1 for willow bark and aloe techniques, never tried plain water, but then again I’m a seed type person so I don’t do it often.

ahortator

Veteran
If they have money. Areoponic clonning would be great.

If there is not enough money you can try this:

uMp6djE.jpg

PjF0Rhd.jpg

Photos aren't mine.

Dirt Bag

I haven't been hired yet. It's an offer that was made. I haven't even decided if I am going to take the job. I don't even know what the pay is. I am not sure I want this to be my legitimate source of income.

My first reaction was why not use a cloner with mild nute solution. Obviously their is going to be a learning curve. The company is running 500 lights, I will be one of 20 growers working their. Recreational marijuana business is in it infancy. They just started the testing on July 1st. I won't be doing this solo.

This post makes me cringe.

There is an adverb of place.
Their is a possessive adjective.
They're is a contraction of they and are.

Promote literacy and help remove the brain dead stoner stigma from our glorious herb...

[URL="[IMG]https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=77899&pictureid=1877224[/IMG]"]

packerfan79

Veteran
This post makes me cringe.

There is an adverb of place.
Their is a possessive adjective.
They're is a contraction of they and are.

Promote literacy and help remove the brain dead stoner stigma from our glorious herb...

[URL="[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=77899&pictureid=1877224]View Image[/URL]"][URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=77899&pictureid=1877224]View Image
[/URL]

I welcome all to comment. Let's keep it on topic. I know the difference, that being said. It's a freaking weed forum, not an English assignment. Chill out .

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't think nutrients make clones root faster either. In fact too much nutrient probably slows it because the plant doesn't need roots if there's nutes. Hey that rhymed. Or at least, roots don't grow as fast in search of nutrients if there's plenty right here.

I think it's hard to get used to the idea that clones need so little light, little or no nutrients and no hormones. We just naturally want to mess around with things, and the idea that something will do better with less is counter intuitive.