What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What size pots to use in a 4x4 tent??

Hi there,

I will be using a 4x4 (1.2m x 1.2m) tent looking to do 4 plants at a time...

I will start in a party cup.. but dont know what size to move up tooo..

preferably in litres...

Snypie

What kind of substrate do you want to use? If soil than the bigger will be the better (10-15 liters), if coco than a smaller (6-8 liter).

What kind of substrate do you want to use? If soil than the bigger will be the better (10-15 liters), if coco than a smaller (6-8 liter).

Soil.

I was going to start in a party cup.. transplant into something dont know what yet.. but then end in like a 5 gal or 20litre smart pot

mr.brunch

Veteran
420giveaway
I run soil in a 1m x 1m , and use 20 litre buckets... if fems, they go straight from the party cups into these.

Easy7

Veteran
Depends on size and dimensions of which pot you choose. I'd go with 15 gallon. General an ounce of bud per gallon, yet that is very ideal.

25 gallon will also do well for 1 plant per 4 x 4 space. Veg to 1/3rd the final desired size in the veg tent. Veg 3 days after transplant in flower tent, then 12/12 that sucker. Have topped and ready to go in the veg tent. Veg light is already on 18 hours for a few moms, so use that light. Keep the higher wattage tent for shutgun flowering. 5 harvests a year of 70 day strains or a bit less running narrow leaf long flowering varities.

Rather take my time and wait to find a great dank mom plant than run far too many in hopes.

Cork144

US gallon being 3.5 litre where as an english being 4.5litre aswell lol, seen my mate do giant plants with 11litres, feeding and watering everyday, in soil, 4 plants in a 4x4

Cork144

haha im sorry thank you for correcting me, still a 800ml difference there, confuses me as when I hear, '2 gallon' I used to imagine 9litres, turns out 6.5 was all I needed all along haha, cost me many extra pennies for a couple years

wutwut

Veteran
420giveaway
i try to go with 4-6 plants in 15l smart & air pots. let see what happens..

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I am running a 3x3 and use 3gal air pots, 5 gal for outdoor green house (sativas). Not all things are created equal. IME you get twice (probably more) roots with air pots than with conventional plastic pots, and they breathe. All my bonsais were grown in screen sided air boxes. I quick experiment is to grow the same strain in a 3gal conventional pot and a 3gal air pot, and compare their root systems after harvest. :) The best pots after these to grow in is terracotta. Too expensive and too fragile but, they act as mini refrigerators (benefical) but, the roots will circle in them as well and while they are circling (growing long) they aren't back budding to create the fine feeder roots we so much desire.

Vanilla Phoenix

Super Lurker
ICMag Donor
When I grew in a 4x4 tent, I used 3 gallon containers of soil with 4 plants under a 1000w hortilux. You can try 5 gallons but might need to thin them out more during/right after the stretch. :tiphat:

Mengsk

4 or 8 liter size will finish 1 meter plants just fine with good medium though Easy7's advice is better.

What size light? I would go with 5 gallons pots if your feeding them, 10 gallon pots if it's organic water only, 3 gallon pots of less than 600w of light..etc etc. Lots of variables to give a solid answer.

ODF

I do 25 liter pots. 4 of them in 120x120. 600w. Top once. Use a net to spread the branches out.

Really liking it.

upload.jpg

ODF

Thanks.

25 liter may be overkill, I don't know.

I believe the people who say more roots equal more buds. It's also nice not having to water them every day.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Thanks.

25 liter may be overkill, I don't know.

I believe the people who say more roots equal more buds. It's also nice not having to water them every day.
You shouldn't be watering every day if you have a good regimen/routine going.

Wrt roots, use air pots for massive root balls without large pots. BTW 25l is a 5 gal pot (for info only).

Latest posts

Latest posts