What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

my tomato plants I have a few questions.

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
why arn't they blooming and growing any tomatos?

so far I have only gotton 8-9 tomatos.

here r some pix of em from 1-2 days ago.
we gave em some bloodmeal around 2 1/2 weeks ago. then we put some flowerpower on then 1 1/2 weeks ago.
but not too much of eather one.

also what about cutting off the tops of a few of them that r getting 6'+ tall.

also I think there is 27-30 plants out there.
and some of the tomato strains we have out there r some early girls, pink girls, lemon boys, kellogs, jet stars, brandywines, cherry red tomatos, sweet summer times, and a few others.

So have a gander at the pix and tell us what yall think.
and what we r doing wrong.

Last edited:

Cool Moe

Veteran
#1 cheese, sorry about your troubles. I did a few things different this year. I started mine early inside, and I amended my outdoor soil rows adding a long list of organics. And I give them fox farms tomato and vegetable dry ferts, spray them with a pump sprayer once or twice a week w/ aerated worm castings/compost tea.

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
couple tricks to tomatoes for 1 you want to give very little N - especially towards flower set and, you can water stress them a little by letting them get close to wilt when you want them to fruit.

w/ too much N they will put a lot of energy into veg growth

they are a water loving plant which will go into progeny mode once deprived

K

kannubis

It is said that 10 days over 90° will stop bloom and fruit setting from happening. I have a topsy turvy with 1 tomato that got set before the heat kicked in here. Hopefully more will take as it goes along.

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
coool big thanks for the advice on tomatos.

the temps have been around the mid 80s for a while now.
so basicly I need not give any N. what about giving more P insted.

OK so what about cutting the very tall top off to maybe help them grow bushyer.
2 of em r growing to 6 feet tall + like growing over the fence.

:thank you:

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
you might try some shade cloth because yeah they do hate the hot

as far as P goes, you can side dress w/ bonemeal or feed @ 0-5-5 or 2-6-4 *it really depends on what they are established in what you may like to add but a little extra P wont hurt

they feed a little heavier but not like corn or canna

dont prune them because the really big growers are what they call indeterminate and will keep setting fruit on the new growth - you can prune but it will actually decrease your harvest (but like if they are growing into the neighbors yard or ?)

V

Voodoo

we gave em some bloodmeal around 2 1/2 weeks ago. then we put some flowerpower on then 1 1/2 weeks ago.

and some of the tomato strains we have out there r some early girls, pink girls, lemon boys, kellogs, jet stars, brandywines, cherry red tomatos, sweet summer times, and a few others.

too early in the season to produce tomatoes yet, I routinely pick the suckers off (forced veg) till the 21st of June. Youll get tomatoes lie you've never seen... :)

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
thanks for d great info guys. I guess Ill just have to wate and see what happends.

also if I see tiny spiters on a few of them is this a bad thing or will there spiters webs catch other bad bugs that might invade d plants?

diamondmine

Voodoo is right. I got mine in earlier than ever this year in march and I have fist sized toms but nothing ripe yet so give it some time. If you keep them wet they will veg, keep them dry and they will flower, but it's a balance.

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i leave spiders alone and encourage them in my garden just like lady bugs

pruning (pinching) suckers is good advice (same as having too much veg growth) suckers are the runners that come off at the base esp on the indeterminate ones

L

lloy

hi i will 3rd voodo keep picking them off for about a couple more weeks give or take . good selection i myself have early girl, lemon boy and chery red. lol sound like mj names. you should try sweet 100 also if you like th cherrys ..... plants look good n healthy keep it up. good day lloy.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
The guys are right about taking off the laterals and only leave one leader , encourages lots more tomatoes to set ..
On the nitrogen , it is safe to use nitrogen , i dose mine fortnightly with a solution of seaweed and fish extract and theres a lot of chicken manure in the ground , the plants are almost out of control now , setting up to 8 sets of tomatoes even before getting as tall as me ..
The plants in the pics above look like they could use some more sun to me ,, growth seems thin and a bit spindly ...

grapeman

Veteran
Fruit set is affected by variety, sun, temps, location, water regimen, nutrients & soil. I can grow early girl in the desert in blow sand and I'll get plenty of fruit. Growing beefsteak in the desert gives me nada unless I mix my own soil and mind the ph and sun location.

Biggest problem for fruit set is night time temperatures IMO. All of the above have a role but are secondary to temps.

kno3brock

your plants are still young, give them time. by the middle of july your going to have a jungle there with so many tomatoes your going to have to give them away to the neighbors.

V

Voodoo

Fruit set is affected by variety, sun, temps, location, water regimen, nutrients & soil. I can grow early girl in the desert in blow sand and I'll get plenty of fruit. Growing beefsteak in the desert gives me nada unless I mix my own soil and mind the ph and sun location.

Biggest problem for fruit set is night time temperatures IMO. All of the above have a role but are secondary to temps.

You're probably right, but my grandmother of 91 years told me the same thing from age 6; "wait till the longest days of the year before letting tomatoes flower up, it helps em grow strong."

M

medfinder

get the super bloom out!! and lots of it..also get some bloom spray..self pollenate the flowers with the spray..it also stops blossom end rot..i just took 35 ripe red best boys off mine..and the corn is ten feet tall..I dig my garden .com is great for all garden questions..I HAVE LEARNED A LOT FROM THAT SITE!

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
wow very very cool big thanks for the great info guys/gals.

I will try this stuff and see if it works out.

thanks agen.

hanuman

Sorry I haven't read the whole thread, but one thing is sure, you should leave maximum two stalks on each plant, unless they are cherry tomatoes, i.e you should prune the new growth that appears at the "armpits" of your plants.

If they aren't showing any flowers at this stage (I have some much smaller plants that are already blooming hard), it's because they are spending too much energy growing stalks and leaves. Also, with five or six or more stalks on each plant, your tomatoes are going to be tiny. I'll try to get some pics of mine later today to explain what I mean.

hth

h :ying:

Latest posts

Latest posts