What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Redundancy?

insomniac_AU

@#$%ing power company! Turning power off on Wednesday, all day AGAIN!

This will be the second time this flower cycle and about the 5th time this year. I'll be running CFLs off an inverter. What measures do you people have as backup in case of power failure?

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Can you run a generator while power is off...
Powering your room & critical appliances such as the fridge/freezer?

insomniac_AU

Can you run a generator while power is off...
Powering your room & critical appliances such as the fridge/freezer?

I could but I live in a suburban area and grow. No one else in the area runs a generator I just think it would seem suss. I have an inverter which runs bare minimum lighting. Fortunately my light cycle is 11:30pm to 11:30am so it only affects the flower box for a few hours. PITA though.

Maple_Flail

sunroom, solar batteries.. SILs should be able to managed of two panel and maybe two battery.

UPS power supplies don't have the juice unless you want to buy one that costs the same as a small house

situation sucks man good luck

insomniac_AU

sunroom, solar batteries.. SILs should be able to managed of two panel and maybe two battery.

UPS power supplies don't have the juice unless you want to buy one that costs the same as a small house

situation sucks man good luck

Yeah I don't think a UPS is feasible like you said. A home made solar charged battery backup is probably the cheapest solution like you said. Something to run a bigger inverter for decent amount of time.

Stupid thing is I produce my own power I have solar at my house but for safety reasons for what they call the islanding effect the inverter is shut down when mains power is lost. To stop the grid still being live when they disconnect the feed I guess.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Yeah I don't think a UPS is feasible like you said. A home made solar charged battery backup is probably the cheapest solution like you said. Something to run a bigger inverter for decent amount of time.

Stupid thing is I produce my own power I have solar at my house but for safety reasons for what they call the islanding effect the inverter is shut down when mains power is lost. To stop the grid still being live when they disconnect the feed I guess.
Can't you simply isolate the power to the main, effectively isolating your supply to the rest of the world?

Bobby Boucher

They sell D battery powered air pumps at fishing supply stores..

As for the lights..

Attachments

• bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 18

insomniac_AU

Can't you simply isolate the power to the main, effectively isolating your supply to the rest of the world?

Unfortunately not. The way the regulations are here all grid tie inverters have to be configured this way. So no mains feed no power. Sucks but I can see where it would be a safety issue. You can't have houses all over the place feeding power into the grid when it's supposed to be off.

Latest posts

Latest posts