What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Breeding in the same facility with sensimilla production?

Miraculous Meds

I know this has been discussed, but I couldn't search and find the answers so here goes. I have experience doing small pollinations, but am planning on doing larger ones. I would like to open pollinate a whole small room or tent, in the same shared facility with other seedless crops.

I have some concerns with accidental pollination of the seedless rooms. I have seen vader doing some breeding with small rooms utilizing a pulley system to pull the male up from the fnd table, so it dries out and dies, and then I believe he sprays down the room before opening it up to collect seed and clean the room.

What is the general consensus out there, can this be done safely? I welcome all comments and thoughts here.

A few more questions, would a normal carbon filter system with a prefilter be plenty enough to not allow pollen to escape thru the exhaust? I know how to size fans and filters and create negative pressure.

Probably going with a 4x4 or 5x5 tent with a 400w or 600w per tent. Probably use a 8" 750cfm and can 100 for exhaust.

I would really appreciate thoughts on the subject since I was given a gift of permission to make some seeds of a old line for reproduction. and I think im going to give it a go! the seeds are already started so I need to get on a plan if im going to open pollinate.
:thank you:

GoatCheese

Veteran
If it's possible, i suggest you flower the males separately in some small set up which allows you to control possible stray-pollen better..
..then mix the pollen from every male and apply on the females with a powder brush or something. Little pollen goes a long way.
This way the pollen won't get blown around by the ventilation system so much in the female-flowering area compared to having males flowering in the same tent with females. Males produce alot of pollen so it will be blown around by ventilation.
Males flowered in a small tent/cab under some CFLs in small pots won't need much ventilation, so the pollen won't fly around too badly.

If you're planning to flower males in the same tent as females, i suggest you buy a proper pollen-filter cloth for your ventilation system.

Some people have used see-thru plastic storage boxes, with some filter/ventilation system to flower males in the same area as females, but still keep the pollen away from the female flowers. ICMAGers have used those so you should find pictures of these somewhere over here. I'm too tired and lazy atm to find those threads for you, sorry. Heh-heh:biggrin:

Miraculous Meds

If it's possible, i suggest you flower the males separately in some small set up which allows you to control possible stray-pollen better..
..then mix the pollen from every male and apply on the females with a powder brush or something. Little pollen goes a long way.
This way the pollen won't get blown around by the ventilation system so much in the female-flowering area compared to having males flowering in the same tent with females. Males produce alot of pollen so it will be blown around by ventilation.
Males flowered in a small tent/cab under some CFLs in small pots won't need much ventilation, so the pollen won't fly around too badly.

If you're planning to flower males in the same tent as females, i suggest you buy a proper pollen-filter cloth for your ventilation system.

Some people have used see-thru plastic storage boxes, with some filter/ventilation system to flower males in the same area as females, but still keep the pollen away from the female flowers. ICMAGers have used those so you should find pictures of these somewhere over here. I'm too tired and lazy atm to find those threads for you, sorry. Heh-heh:biggrin:

Thanks for the reply. I know the male flowering chambers you speak of. I think Jlp did a thread on them. Great idea. I might use a separate room for just males and collect, but I was looking to make quite a few seed, and I don't imagine painting all the females would do what I want. lll look deeper into the right filters. I need to know 100% they will work.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
:laughing:hahahahahahahahah

insert story you will tell to patients when all your meds looks like this here...
seedy-bud.jpg

seriously use a friend's basement for that and change yur clothes before watering your gear after visiting...

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
Very risky project u got go in there... How big of a room u talking??? How big of facility? The places layout would matter? 10 40 light rooms or 4 100s Honest answer is don't do it that way, do the breeding at home or another location but if u must, set up a tent inside its own sealed room at the opposite side of the facility far far away from flower rooms... Ran on its own separate everything, automate it and once pollen start a flying stay far away, never open the tent and have proper filtration not carbon but hepa types.

Vaders weed is shit, all tastes like additives last time i checked (few years), stop looking to mersh booboo producers for info. If breeding in the same house was a good idea we'd all have crosses.

GoatCheese

Veteran
Thanks for the reply. I know the male flowering chambers you speak of. I think Jlp did a thread on them. Great idea. I might use a separate room for just males and collect, but I was looking to make quite a few seed, and I don't imagine painting all the females would do what I want. lll look deeper into the right filters. I need to know 100% they will work.
Hi.
Well, you can dust a whole plant pretty fast with a good sized women's powder/make-up brush.
You don't have to try to pollinate each pistil separately, but you can gather some pollen on the brush and then kinda use the brush as "a catapult" to bomb larger areas of the plant at once.
..then repeat 4-5 days later.

It's good to remember that you can actually over-pollinate-a-plant, in which case the plant will produce a lot of pale/white seeds that won't mature. So you don't actually have to have every pistil pollinated to get a good amount of seeds.

But sure, if you have a shit load of plants then the powder brush-method could demand alot of work. The big positive of it is that you can control the amount of pollen flying around the grow are, as i mentioned earlier, so maybe some extra work is needed if you want to grow sensimilla bud in a tent near by.
+
+
"pollen filter" cloth should be fairly easy to find. Just look for the kind that filters out the finest dust particles. Allergic people use those on their windows during pollen season, so you just wrap some of that around your carbon filter.

Miraculous Meds

:laughing:hahahahahahahahah

insert story you will tell to patients when all your meds looks like this here...
View Image

Im just copying your idea homie! Just kidding, mine isn't a Cinderella story. Its more of a, you lucky son of a bitch, you became friends with Willy Wonka, and he said heres the recipe. This is a repro im talking about, not any personal work of my own except making seeds of this old line. I will do selections and pull out nice phenos to make individual crosses though.
I read you loud and clear, your votes for separate locations.
thanks for checking in bud.

Very risky project u got go in there... How big of a room u talking??? How big of facility? The places layout would matter? 10 40 light rooms or 4 100s Honest answer is don't do it that way, do the breeding at home or another location but if u must, set up a tent inside its own sealed room at the opposite side of the facility far far away from flower rooms... Ran on its own separate everything, automate it and once pollen start a flying stay far away, never open the tent and have proper filtration not carbon but hepa types.
Thanks for all the info bud! Another vote for separate. check.

Use a different room or place. My .02
thank you sir.

Vaders weed is shit, all tastes like additives last time i checked (few years), stop looking to mersh booboo producers for info. If breeding in the same house was a good idea we'd all have crosses.
Sorry you didn't have a good experience with vaders herb. I haven't smoked any of his product, but he is a very knowledgeable sharing guy, and I appreciate that, and his work impressed me, so im running a little bit of it now, and the aromas have been nothing short of spectacular so far. But this project has nothing to do with him or his genetics. I just mentioned him, because I thought he came up with a clever way of pollinating without having to open the door for pollen to escape.

Hi.
Well, you can dust a whole plant pretty fast with a good sized women's powder/make-up brush.
You don't have to try to pollinate each pistil separately, but you can gather some pollen on the brush and then kinda use the brush as "a catapult" to bomb larger areas of the plant at once.
..then repeat 4-5 days later.

It's good to remember that you can actually over-pollinate-a-plant, in which case the plant will produce a lot of pale/white seeds that won't mature. So you don't actually have to have every pistil pollinated to get a good amount of seeds.

But sure, if you have a shit load of plants then the powder brush-method could demand alot of work. The big positive of it is that you can control the amount of pollen flying around the grow are, as i mentioned earlier, so maybe some extra work is needed if you want to grow sensimilla bud in a tent near by.
+
+
"pollen filter" cloth should be fairly easy to find. Just look for the kind that filters out the finest dust particles. Allergic people use those on their windows during pollen season, so you just wrap some of that around your carbon filter.

Thanks again, I do think this may be a viable option.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
If it must be at the same location...

Micro grow cabinet, with HEPA intakes and outtakes. Turn fans off before opening, you can maintain as usual. As mentioned, once you open the box you'll want to shower and change clothes before wandering around the place. :)

ahortator

Veteran
This one is translated from a Spanish forum:
Well, I have to give you the thanks in our name to all the contributions you are making in "reproductive technology", pollen handling, liquid fertilization ... they are opening doors to the breeding fans!

Tell you that a companion has already used this autumn in outdoor liquid fertilization
as he says with "120% success"
Water and pollen, sprayed. This is how he has obtained the seed harvest that he had to produce.
It reports a practically zero level of contamination in the neighboring plants, with the precaution of using a piece of cloth as a "wall" of separation while it was sprayed.

I regret not having graphic material of the subject, but as it is a technique that we are beginning to use
We will leave a record in your thread as soon as you have images to accompany the text.

And this one is from "Cananbis growing guide. The joys of an herb garden at home v.3" by Toon
BREEDING
It is possible to breed and select cuttings from plants that grow, flower, and mature
faster. Some plants will naturally be better than others in this regard,
and it is easy to select not
only the most potent plants to clone or breed, but the fastest growing/flowering plants as well.
Find your fastest growth plant, and breed it with your "best high" male for fast flowering,
potent strains. Clone your fastest
, best high plant for the quickest monocrop garden possible.
Over time, it will save you a lot of waiting around for your plants to mature.
When a male is starting to flower (2
-
4 weeks before the females) it should be removed
from the females so it do
es not pollinate them. It is taken to a separate area. Any place that gets
just a few hours of light per day will be adequate, including close to a window in a separate
room in the house. Put newspaper or glass under it to catch the pollen as the flower
s drop it.
Keep a male alive indefinitely by bending it's top severely and putting it in mild shock
that delays it's maturity. Or take the tops as they mature and put the branches in water, over a
piece of plate glass. Shake the branches every morning
to release pollen onto the glass and then
scrap it with a razor blade to collect it. A male pruned in this fashion stays alive indefinitely and
will continue to produce flowers if it gets suitable dark periods. This is much better than putting
pollen i
n the freezer! Fresh pollen is always best.

Save pollen in an air tight bag in the freezer. It will be good for about a month. It may be
several more weeks before the females are ready to pollinate. Put a paper towel in the bag with it
to act as a des
cant.
A plant is ready to pollinate 2 weeks after the clusters of female flowers first appear. If
you pollinate too early, it may not work. Wait until the female flowers are well established, but
still all while hairs are showing.
Turn off all fans.
Use a paper bag to pollinate a branch of a female plant. Use different
pollen from two males on separate branches. Wrap the bag around the branch and seal it at the
opening to the branch. Shake the branch vigorously. Wet the paper bag after a few minute
s with
a sprayer and then carefully remove it. Large plastic zip
-
lock bags also. Slip the bag over the
male branch and shake the pollen loose. Carefully remove the bad and zip it up. It should be
very dusty with pollen. To pollinate, place it over a si
ngle branch of the female, zipping it up
sideways around the stem so no pollen leaks out. Shake the bag and the stem at the same time.
Allow to settle for an hour or two and shake it again. Remove it a few hours later. Your branch
is now well pollinated
and should show signs of visible seed production in 2 weeks, with ripe
seeds splitting the calyxes by 3
-
6 weeks. One pollinated branch can create hundreds of seeds, so
it should not be necessary to pollinate more than one or two branches in many cases.
When crossing two different varieties, a third variety of plant will be created. If you
know what characteristics your looking for in a new strain, you will need several plants to
choose from in order to have the best chance of finding all the qualities
desired. Sometimes, if
the two plants bred had dominant genes for certain characteristics, it will be impossible to get the
plant you want from one single cross. In this case, it is necessary to interbreed two plants from
the same batch of resultant seeds
from the initial cross. In this fashion, recessive genes will
become available, and the plant character you desire may only be possible in this manner.
Usually, it is desirable only to cross two strains that are very different. In this manner,
one usuall
y arrives at what is referred to as "hybrid vigour". In other words, often the best strains
are created by taking two very different strains and mating them. Less robust plants may be the
result of interbreeding, since it opens up recessive gene traits th
at may lead to reduced potency.
Hybrid offspring will all be very different from each other. Each plant grown from the
same batch of seeds collected from the same plant, will be different. It is then necessary to try
each plant separately and decide it's
individual merits for yourself. If you find one that seems to
be head and shoulders above the rest in terms of early flowering, high yield and get buzz, that's
the plant to clone and continue breeding.
In depth genetics is beyond the scope of this work.
See Marijuana Botany; Smith, for
more detailed info in this area

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
MM,

You can do as you propose as long as your diligent about keeping pollen contained.

When I did my Blue Moonshine repro the only filtration I had was a small carbon scrubber. Pollination was taking place “feet” from my sensi grow & I did not have any stray pollen on anything.

If your unsure about using a carbon filter, try and acquire a HEPA filter or pollen blocking screen, as previously suggested.
I believe screen can be purchased through seed savers exchange or similar heirloom vegetable seed companies.

Bring on more Blue Moonshine!
(My assumption about your repro... hehe)

Miraculous Meds

MM,

You can do as you propose as long as your diligent about keeping pollen contained.

When I did my Blue Moonshine repro the only filtration I had was a small carbon scrubber. Pollination was taking place “feet” from my sensi grow & I did not have any stray pollen on anything.

If your unsure about using a carbon filter, try and acquire a HEPA filter or pollen blocking screen, as previously suggested.
I believe screen can be purchased through seed savers exchange or similar heirloom vegetable seed companies.

Bring on more Blue Moonshine!
(My assumption about your repro... hehe)

Thanks for the replies guys. Im leaning towards doing it at another location. I feel confident in my ability to paint on pollen without any problems. I do it all the time on a small scale (50 to 200 seeds). Just wanted to make a few more this time since I might vend them.

Dj is already making BM seeds. I have pics of the new mother in my dj f4 rnd thread. Im growing out the new mom now, she has an almost blue stem. well I found a pic but not a close up. You can see it in the middle leaning to the right. Pruned to the top couple nodes, but a blue stem.
picture.php

Dj gave me permission and seed stock to do OTM. Heres a couple from the first round of germination. A few had purple cotyledons.
picture.php

Americangrower

Veteran
Well dusting a few branches the returning them is no big deal. I on the other hand hit whole plants of chem d and ecsd. Lets just say I think I'm going to have a lot more 69 Skunk crosses. No biggie as I have plenty of bud to smoke and can't wait to see the possibilities.

Wuachuma

Its all a matter of HVAC

I designed a breeding warehouse for a firm in Zimbabwe that had 8 rooms, each with their own redundant door entry to create neg-pressure decontamination rooms before going in/out of each isolated room - basically from the hallway, you open a door and its an isolated neg-press washroom to rinse off yourself and any plants, then you go through another door to enter the actual grow room, with another sink and shower.
The whole designed was based around how to get the HVAC to isolate each room.