What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

low germination rates

thekill

i have some mtf beans that i am trying to germ.
I can not seem to get them to pop open. The seeds look good, they are fresh but none will pop open. The shell is very hard and seems to be stopping the tap root from coming through. I have read about scaring the out side of the shell to make it softer but need some advice on wether or not this works. :confused:

JLP

Veteran
Have you tried putting them in a glass of water?

Sometimes this softens the casing better than the paper towel method.

JLP:)

thekill

yes i tried that with no luck ......the shells wont crack....it makes me mad it is my own backcross of mantanuskan mist from sagarmatha .....they are probaly just imature or junk...thanks for the help though :D .........ps let me know how that dj thing is goin

KGB47

"It's just a flesh wound"
Veteran
You soaked them in distilled water for 24 hours and still no dice?
That sucks bro, you could add a little "Super Thrive" to the water and see what happens.Good luck.:cool:

G

Thats my approach KGB

I soak for 24 in a dilution of distilled water and superthrive. Caution on the superthrive it's potent stuff. I only put a small drop. You could probably just get a little on the end of your finger and touch the top of the water in the shot glass.

The good seeds sink within 12 hours at the max. Some will sink as soon as they hit the water. Just tap the floating seeds every once in a while to break surface tension. They'll sink if viable.

After 24 they are into a non bleach coffee filter or same paper towel. I had an LSD with a taproot out onetime in about three hours. A couple a days for most to get a good tap root

Good luck.

If talkin nice to them does't work, cuss at them a little, maybe that will kick'em in gear

Texas Kid

GreatLakes THC

an Arthur P. Jacobs production
Veteran
Texas Kid said:
If talkin nice to them does't work, cuss at them a little, maybe that will kick'em in gear

TheKill, these guys know what they're talking about. Just keep at it and sooner or later something will pop.

Texas Kid that was hilarious,
GreatLakes THC

thekill

thanks to all and i will try the 24 hour soak again maybe the 36 hour soak even :p

Hey great lakes you aren't the only one near them lakes that are great.......gotta love that fresh water fishing......;)

GreatLakes THC

an Arthur P. Jacobs production
Veteran
So true...

So true...

When I was over at OG it seemed like I was the only one from this area. For that reason I didn't post much, but being here at this site I'm finding out that I'm not alone. There's a lot of growers in this area. It's a wonderful feeling to know you're not alone. Good luck with the beans.

GreatLakes THC

docker

probably rotten now

probably rotten now

too much water squeeze one and smell it,good luck

Last edited:

funker

I knew I should have taken pictures...

I just germed 5 dif varieties from SD catalogue. All 100% germ rate with the above methods.

Some seeds can take forever to pop. Its just the genetics. Out of all of the dif varieties I was germing, the skunk #1 was the slowest (6 days!).

Like said before, if your seeds don't sink within 12 hours in a cup of warm water (after a little tappa-tappa) then you probably have air instead of embryos.

Gluck mate. Those sound like fine genetics, i hope it works out for you in the end.

-funker

EDIT: Hey guys, live on one of the lakes myself :)

thekill

well i thought i would update things a little .....I put about 100 beans in a cup of water for about 28 hours. Most of them sank with light tapping, but only 2 show signs of germination. I have moved them to a moist towel at about 75- 80 degrees......lets hope we get more then 2 out of this...:p if this doesn't work i'll have to get some of those junk beans from BOG :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

teddynugent

thekill- If you just made the seeds, they might still be too fresh. At least that's what it sounds like to me. I always let my seeds sit out to dry for at least a couple weeks before I even try to crack them. Might want to give that a try if the seeds are still pretty fresh. I've tried to plant seeds shortly after harvest and it's never worked. i seem to get the best resultsabout a month after harvest. Usually get around 90-100% germ rates then. It works out anyway, cause I usually don't have the room to crack any of the seeds I made until about a month after I've made them.

Good luck and let me know how things turn out,

-Teddy

thekill

:( not lookin good none are showing any real tap roots ............next time i will let my seeds get good and mature ........:p

I'm going to give them about a week so i'll keep it updated :cool:

the beans are from last fall so that isn't the problem.....they are light colored and very few have stripes so i think they are immature....:rolleyes: ..rookie mistake

Last edited:

thekill

:( no tap roots and a little mold so out they go

remember kids....always let them beans mature all the way :p

Last edited: