What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

???cloning clones????

G

If i clone a clone over and over to what I think is called a C6 what ared the disadvantages of this ? and how much will it disapate quality each cycle?

funker

If you take a clone from a clone its not a big deal, but after a while the plant genetics will sort of disintigrate. This can also happen with mother plants after a while.

-funker

teddynugent

Scamographic- From my experience there are disadvantages for sure. They definately lose potency after a while, and they also start losing all their vigor, smell, and taste. I used to take clones of clones all the time, but now keep mothers and the difference is very noticable to me. Anyway, just my experience with it.
Jorge Cervantes has only bad things to say about cloning clones in his book "Indoor Marijuana Horticulture". I agree with everything he says based on my experience with cloning clones.

G

thanks everyone for the info I am working on finding a good mom as we speak.
I recieved bogs grape punch Nirvana misty,B52,durban p,and skunk#1 tuesday and they are all ready working on the second set of leaves what great germination . Hopefully I will find a good mom out of them .:D

phillykid

I've heard different things. There used to be a theory that clones lose potency after generations. And there are experts on both sides, Ed Rosenthal has said that they don't and there are no disadvantages to taking clones of clones repeatedly. Based on just theoretical science though, a clone is a clone, it's a genetically identical replica of the parent it came from. Sure things like genetic drift do occur but that occurs over many generations, some have said they've taken clones from clones for years with no noticeable change. Even if random mutations occur as they do in all living things, why would a clone be susceptible and the mother not be? The cells of the mother plant still divide. In humans the older the cells the higher chances of mutation, thus cancer is more prevalent in the elderly due to the shortening of telomers at the ends of chromosomes with each subsequent division. I don't see why this couldn't be the case with plants. It stands to reason that an older cell has had more contact with oxidants and other mutagens. One issue with clones is that since they all have the same genetic makeup, viral infection can wipe out the whole crop if it occurs in one plant. Keep in mind this is just from a science standpoint, nature does some weird things sometimes that we haven't been able to understand yet.

teddynugent

Yup, I've definatly heard arguments from both sides. I have read a good amont of Ed Rosenthal's stuff, and have read what you mentioned about him saying that there is no disadvantages of cloning clones. He also says that during veg, if you run your lights on anything but 24/0, your wasting time, which I think is complete bullshit because plants need dark time(they dont need it but grow better with it). I really don't agree with a bunch of the stuff he says. I really don't give a shit what Ed Rosenthal says, or Jorge Cervantes (they both have opposite opinions on many things). I'm to the point now where I go with my experience and what works for me to prduce the best plants.

I honestly have no idea what actually happenes to plants from clone as you keep cloning the clones, as far as all that genetic drift stuff goes. All I know is what I experienced, and what I experienced was a decrease in the quality of the plant. You don't notice it as much when your doing it. But, take a plant that you have taken clones of clones of clones of, and grow it side-by-side with an original clone from the mature mother plant and the difference is huge. Again, I am just going by wat I have seen and done.

Latest posts

Latest posts