What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Question about breeding

lespaulcustom

I was wanting to do a little breeding project. I had three nirvana ak48's and three nirvana top 44. Out of all i was left with one female top 44 and one male ak48. I had topped both before sexing so i a few bud sites to pollenate. After reading on here and og about how to pollenate with the q-tip method i did four of the lower budding shoots on the top 44 with the ak48 pollen. First of all a few more buds got pollenated no matter how careful i was. I was worried about the seeds maturing since i've never grown top44 and it has a shorter flowering period. And they say atleast a month with the buds to mature and i did it about the second week in flower. Well, i have about maybe a week left at the most before harvest so today i cut a lower branch off just to sampe it at this stage. I saw a seed pod so i pinched it off and kinda squished it and it was hard so i peeled off the casing and it was a big dark brown seed. Cool as hell. I thought it would still be white and immature. Ok so after reading all of this to inform you of what i did here is my questions about breeding.

1. The top44 and ak48 would be my parents right?
2. The offspring of parent top44 and parent ak48 will be f1s? Which are the seeds i'm producing right now from crossing the two.
3. The off spring between male f1 and female f1 will be f2s?

Any help would be great. I look at this info and some of its quite confusing concerning the f1's and the f2's and all that. Some say this and some say that. This is how i understand it so far.

Also if anyone has grown nirvana top 44 i will be posting a question about it in the basic growing section. Thanks

Last edited:
G

Well......it's a hard call.....assuming there weren't a few male preflowers that you missed,then your timeline seems about right.

JLP

Veteran
If you breed two P1(parents) you get an F1,first falial generation.
When you cross the seeds you make,those will be F2.
In any case you'll see a good bit of variation from the progeny.

JLP:)

lespaulcustom

Rezdog and JLP, thanks for the info. Just wanted to make sure i was on the right track. I kept three clones of the top 44 female because somewhere i think i will have to backcross or cross back to the original mother. I'm thinking that will be with the f2's. Thanks again....

JLP, i have your juliet. Are those f1's or f2's?

Last edited:

EHP

Using Cubing To Fix Characteristics

Using Cubing To Fix Characteristics

You can use linebreeding, or cubing to do exactly that, fix the characteristics of an F1 hybrid individual to get a large population of similar genetics. I don't think it matters too much what the staminate plant contributes to the seeds although its traits can certainly be seen in the first linebred generation. Indoors, under lights this can be achieved fairly quickly. After one backcrossing, you have seeds which contain 75% of the genes of the mother plant. The system which I've found works the best is to inbreed, or cross brother and sister, of this generation, rather than continue on with the linebreeding of the original plant. Keep the original alive as a clone to use as a comparative plant along the way. Grow out quite a few of this IB3/4 generation, save seeds from at least 5 of the best females and pollinate them with 4-6 of the best males. That way you will have backups in case some plants don't 'throw' what they show. Two or three more generations of inbreeding will result in an 'open pollinated' or truebreeding strain hopefully containing all the qualities (and maybe a few more cool ones you add along the way) of the original cloned F1 hybrid plant. If you don't linebreed more than one generation, and you include many individuals of both sexes early on in your breeding plan, you will have a strain which will still exhibit alot of variation, but within the parameters you set with the original plant.

G

Yuppers.....

Yuppers.....

EHP,am using 2BXs on the Sour Diesel and two on the William's Wonder before inbreeding begins,but essentially am down w what yr' sayin :)