What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Veging plants to tall and too few lower shoots.

Hello :wave:

I have a few plants that are supposed to be mothers to continue a cycle.
They ae touching the top of the box now, and don't have big enough lower shoots too take clones from yet.

I think I need to Top or Supercrop the plants, scrog of lst isn't an option due to lack space.

Which would you go for? any ideas?

Cheers..

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just crack her and bend her over dude, if she is real tall bend in a few spots.
Before you bend kinda warm up the steem section by rubbing it and squeezing it to gently crack it up and itll get real bendy for ya then make yer bends.
If you crack to much just tape and tie her up, it might look ugly but shells thank you later.

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran

I take off the fans to encourage em to shoot branches. If they are real tall you can make circle completely, if too hard stems bust em with a pliers gently like in a section and loosen em up heh, no space prollem cuz I train em to a circle bordering of the pot if im makn a bonzai mom.

Psyco G

Keep bending that will promote branching and make sure you keep the top of the plant under the lowest branch, that way the auxins will go to the lower branches, give her time.just keep topping her to.

Former Guest

If you pinch the top growth tip off, she will branch out. I let my plants grow about a foot then top so branches shoot up. You can also bend like suggested but IMHO I wouldnt cause the main stem to break/snap but branches are ok. I think that would be more stressful than a pinched off top. It doesn't seem to phase them and in two days you'll have side branches starting to grow.

Granger2

Veteran
Yes, pictured is one way to do it, but I would've started at the top and counted top as 1st leaf set, then down to 2nd set, then cut just above 3rd set. Or even cut just above 4th set. Make sure they have plenty of feed incl silica and root stimulator. That's just my preference. Good luck. -granger

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Depends really on how many cuts you need bro!

It looks harsh but that girl is gonna be shooting from each node within days.

If you work the stem, rub it get it warm it will become pliable like a piece of clay almost, never just go in crackin.

Thanks for all the great replys guys :tiphat: and especially for the photos Tony that helped allot seeing how you supported them I was thinking of holding them with string from above, but the sticka and ties are much more practical.

I think super cropping is the answer, i'll post a pic here later and see how I got on.

Thanks again for all the help.

Yes, pictured is one way to do it, but I would've started at the top and counted top as 1st leaf set, then down to 2nd set, then cut just above 3rd set. Or even cut just above 4th set. Make sure they have plenty of feed incl silica and root stimulator. That's just my preference. Good luck. -granger

Would you leave the plant to heal before going to the 2nd set?
For the root stimulator, could I just add a little clonex to the feed? or foliar with a little clonex?

When you say cut above 3/4th set do you mean cut the top off at this node?

Thanks.

Former Guest

Would you leave the plant to heal before going to the 2nd set?
For the root stimulator, could I just add a little clonex to the feed? or foliar with a little clonex?

When you say cut above 3/4th set do you mean cut the top off at this node?

Thanks.

He's saying to count the nodes starting at the top down to the third node and then cut there.

For root stim, you can use Rapid Start from General Hydroponics or they have an organic option on their organic side. House and Garden makes Roots Accelorater. It's almost twice the price as general hydroponics. Or you could use a mycorhizal innoculate like Azo, Zho or hydrogard.

He's saying to count the nodes starting at the top down to the third node and then cut there.

For root stim, you can use Rapid Start from General Hydroponics or they have an organic option on their organic side. House and Garden makes Roots Accelorater. It's almost twice the price as general hydroponics. Or you could use a mycorhizal innoculate like Azo, Zho or hydrogard.

Thank You :tiphat: I had read the post wrong, I thought he was saying to supercrop as the photo shows, then to Top at the 3/4th node :crazy:. I see he is talking about only topping now. Cheers..

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
If it were me...with that long, lanky plant, I would NOT use her as a mother. IMHO, the best mothers are more structured like "bushes"---not tall "red wood trees". When the distance between roots and scant "leaf structure" is as great as yours...I experienced hydration and nutrition issues resulting in a "less than vibrant" plant (think about it--long/tall xylem, water, gravity and scant leaf canopy...do these things contribute to "success" or "failure"?).

If it were me, I would grow her out a bit--clone her 100% and start over...this time try to refrain from removing bottom branches and top her (or clone the top...which is what I do) a bit earlier than normal.

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
My plants come out however I train em, in a week that one will be a nice mini bush with lots of cuts on it.

Granger2

Veteran
StonerPoker,
I'm not sure what you mean about "not spread the plant out too much." Topping like I suggested, or doing what TonyGreen did will make the plant branch and put out from the lower growth. Isn't that what you want?

This is not about measuring a certain distance from the top. It is about cutting back to a leaf set that will put out 2 main growing tips and cause branching on the lower leaf sets, making a shorter bush that will be efficient at using available light. It will also give you more tips to take cuttings from. Why would you not want to "spread them out?" Also, how much light is this plant under? Have you been removing lower growth from this plant?

I'm talking about cutting just above the 3rd or 4th leaf set in one fell swoop. I'm not talking about cutting it in stages.

The price is right on General Organics BioRoot. I've had really good results with it. I also have Roots Accelerator which works really well, but do not use a rooting hormone as a root stimulator. -granger

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
One thing I have noticed and it is why I prefer bending to cutting is that topping can be very stressful for plants, I have often seen them revert to producing lower leaf sets and have even topped some into what appeared to be reveg. :D

My method looks rough but I think it is less stress, produces more cuts quicker, keeps my moms tiny etc. Ill be able to get 12 cuts off that thing here next week at least and it is like 8 inches tall. Why cut off and waste plant unless you got more than you need anyway :D

Latest posts

Latest posts