Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Outdoors > What Plants Hide MJ Best?

Thread Title Search
Click for great cannabis genetics at Female Seeds!
What Plants Hide MJ Best? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-18-2008, 10:13 PM #21
reddy1

reddy1 is a jewel in the roughreddy1 is a jewel in the roughreddy1 is a jewel in the roughreddy1 is a jewel in the roughreddy1 is a jewel in the roughreddy1 is a jewel in the roughreddy1 is a jewel in the rough
reddy1 has completed 1 grow reports. Click to see my Grow Reports
there is a tree called the ghetto palm, stink tree, chinese sumac.

these are native to china and have invaded most temperate US climates. they are extremely invasive and would cover a major US city if we all disappeared. to us, they can be very useful. there are lots of urban praries, with weeds and sumacs. they kill other plants and leave open spaces for lots of sun. they typically grow in areas that people don't give a fuck about like urban decay, industrial or out in the sticks.

best part is they stink. run against one and you will smell. distinct smell that i can not describe. most people avoid coming close to or touching them.

poison sumac is also great for keeping people away. found in the midwest and eastern states around wetlands. they will fuck you up if you touch them. you can only hope a ripper falls into a grove of these. USE CAUTION. from wiki According to some botanists, poison sumac (Toxicodendron vernix) is the most toxic plant species in the United States

these are invase plants and good land use would see the elimination of them but if nobody cares to eradicate them, how are they going to eradicate mine?

Last edited by reddy1; 04-19-2008 at 12:23 PM.. Reason: fix pics
reddy1 is offline Quote

Old 04-18-2008, 10:20 PM #22
guest123

in the part of australia i am , and mostly along the east coast , we use lantana to grow in ..
it grows where theres a lot of light , and apparently is good for the soil ..
aswell there is a plant that grows around these parts called stinking roger , looks very similar to herb the way it grows , easy to hide a plant or 2 around them ....
most folks eyes arent as keen as u might think , and its pretty easy to disguise a few plants once u realise how to hide them in plain view .. hehehe

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:36 AM #23

Hi cfl king, good topic and one that can be much more involved than many growers understand.

I see the topic broken into 2 categories.

The first being hiding plants that are in the back yard garden and the garden selections suggested above are excellent for that application.

The second area is that of concealment/ companion plantings for the OD gorilla grower. This gorilla approach is seldom discussed so if you dont mind, I would like to offer these suggestions:

Gorilla plantings and gorilla site development can be very effective. The growth habits of garden cultivars and natural plants provide many opportunities to propagate and use these plants for cammo in the OD.

Plantings that create a gorilla site: Many times, I have come across good grow sites but they had some problem such as being visible from one certain direction, perhaps not enough vegetion. The gorilla grower can modify his planting site by plantings of either garden cultivars or native plantings.This is especially true of growers that use the same sites over year after year as I do. Look at that site with an eye towards the future and ask yourself what plantings would improve the site by either blocking the view or cammoflaging the plant.

Collecting native strains is the primary approach to gorilla companion planting. Vicious, vigourous vines, thorns, stinging nettles, all can be collected from seed in the fall and started in cups along with your seedlings in the spring. If its too late for this year, most will root from a cutting if you find a plant that will benefit you. Often, I will cut small scrub trees, make a triangle with them and then plant one of the vines that grow locally, has impalling thorns and is impenatrable in with my cut trees. By August, the vines/thorns have covered the tree piles and unless you know where the door is ...... My plants are in the middle of the triangle . Each year i grow there, I add to the site.

Native shrubs such as wild honeysuckle stay green late into the fall are drought resistant and are the first plants in the lancscape to leaf in the spring. When growing purple plants, I will mix in poke weed which is purple with purple berries. Wild cane is perhaps the ultimate cannibas companion plant. It stays evergreen, looks even from a short distance, just like it color, leaf structure and all. The stuff is easily obtained and grows voraciously in many cooler climates.Some tree seedlings can provide good cammo. Transplanting young cedars and pines can improve stealth. Root pruning of the small trees keeps them small over time. Poplar trees grow from seed to as much as 20' in their first year. Prune it and its 8' tall and 20' wide. By fall, your plants can be hidden in the middle. The Aussse tree. com. My buddy has 4 of these seedlings as they are to behave the same way.

Finding, propagating and utilizing natural plantings in your area will greatly improve your site. One word of caution. Make sure the plant you are propagating is a native plant. Plants such as Kudzu, vinca, viburnum, and burning bush just to name a few, have self sown in many areas and you don't want to contribute to that problem. Some study is required

Garden cultivars: Many of these can be utilized in a grow area. A grower needs to become familiar with their planting zone and what plants will grow well, but any simple garden primer should provide a list of such plants. Many will grow to 6' in one season and return the next.

Eulialha Grass
Heavenly bamboo
Tartian Honesuckle

Some vines that work well in Gorilla grows:
Ablelia
Japanese honeysuckle
Trumpet vine
Silver lace.

Silver lace, abelia and trumpet vine are rampant and can cover a 400 sq ft area in one season and dont self sow into the enviroment.

Sorry to ramble on, but ive studied this for some time and you never see discussions about it.

sb

Last edited by silverback; 04-19-2008 at 06:45 AM..

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:57 AM #24
wantaknow
ruger 500

wantaknow is a glorious beacon of lightwantaknow is a glorious beacon of lightwantaknow is a glorious beacon of lightwantaknow is a glorious beacon of lightwantaknow is a glorious beacon of lightwantaknow is a glorious beacon of lightwantaknow is a glorious beacon of lightwantaknow is a glorious beacon of lightwantaknow is a glorious beacon of lightwantaknow is a glorious beacon of lightwantaknow is a glorious beacon of light
google texas star looks like hemp

Old 04-19-2008, 02:16 PM #25
Jack D Ripper
Purity of Essence

Jack D Ripper will become famous soon enoughJack D Ripper will become famous soon enoughJack D Ripper will become famous soon enough
how about sulfur cinquefoil? it doesnt get very big, but looks the same

Old 04-21-2008, 08:04 AM #26
jmn2dmb

jmn2dmb is on a distinguished road
One problem I am noticing at least for the outdoor gorillas is that we are planting things that look alot like cannabis, so if there is a flyover there is actually a greater chance someone will see something that looks like cannabis and come take a look, in a back yard your probably fine is you have a small plant but if your plant is big and the cover plant is not as big or is too obvious people may once again become curious... I recently saw on cops a california man was growing in his back yard and had the plants taller and hanging over the fence all he did was put little plastic flowers in the plant to try and camaflouge it, but it was immediatly noticed by the coppers and ripped... IMHO if your in a back yard with neighbors or anything like that keep them small and concealable with maybe a guard plant blocking people in the area from seeing it all together
jmn2dmb is offline Quote

Old 04-21-2008, 08:13 AM #27
Retardo Motabon
Seenyourmember:0

Retardo Motabon has much to be proud ofRetardo Motabon has much to be proud ofRetardo Motabon has much to be proud ofRetardo Motabon has much to be proud ofRetardo Motabon has much to be proud ofRetardo Motabon has much to be proud ofRetardo Motabon has much to be proud ofRetardo Motabon has much to be proud ofRetardo Motabon has much to be proud ofRetardo Motabon has much to be proud ofRetardo Motabon has much to be proud of
Retardo Motabon has completed 3 grow reports. Click to see my Grow Reports
I second Dignan's nod to Cleome's. Every one of my friends that saw them in our yard before they bloomed said what are you doing? Smells skunky! you cant put these here! Once going the bloom travels up and up. They spread in each directions over the summer as well. Very scratchy plant, yet airy enough to let light in. The bloom will definitely steal the attention. I'm planting them again this year.

Support Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho for prezident
https://youtu.be/sGUNPMPrxvA
Retardo Motabon is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:33 AM #28
Jon

Jon is on a distinguished road
What would you guys think about a stealth photo contest? It was mentioned in another thread and I think its a great idea. Dont know what the prize would be. Maybe pride. Maybe genetics? Whatever it is I'm sure it would be fun.
Jon is offline Quote

Old 04-21-2008, 08:19 PM #29
Dignan
The Soapmaker!

Dignan is just really niceDignan is just really niceDignan is just really niceDignan is just really niceDignan is just really niceDignan is just really niceDignan is just really niceDignan is just really nice
That's a fine idea, Jon. I like it.

I definitely agree with jmn2dmb's point above. For guerrilla growing, I don't companion plant, but instead try to use the native flora to hide my plants. I'll purposely tuck each of my plants right up next to/between, even inside of, the native vegetation.

And even in a home situation, I think you want something that looks similar to cannabis, but definitely not something that looks LIKE cannabis. The cleomes, for example... they look enough like cannabis that when the human eye looks them over, your mind kinda goes... "hmmm... five bladed dark green leaf... that's nice... oooH! look at those incredible flowers!!"

Meanwhile, a cannabis plant 1/2 the size of the cleomes (which get 3-5' tall) sits down low and nobody suspects it's even there b/c they're too busy ogling the incredible flowers.

Cleomes are hardy as hell, too. Invasive, in fact. And they're self-seeding.

A particular variety is native to this area, which is how I came to know them. They tend to like shady areas, in ravines along with aspens... not the best place for sun-loving cannabis plants. But in a home situation, you can find the perfect spot for them and grow some smallish cannabis plants within the cleome patch.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:18 PM #30
BELOW FRIGID
Banned

BELOW FRIGID will become famous soon enough
Dry Hot Area.

I am in a dry hot area. So the surrounding native vegetation gets less and less green as summer wears on. The last thing I want to do is add more green to the area. Lots of oaks to plant under but I figure that is where they are going to look hardest. I try and put them in not the obvious places.
BELOW FRIGID is offline Quote

4 members found this post helpful.