What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Making cages to keep animals away from plants

rusto

Beast
thanks for the info!! I was thinking of going without but I have a lot of rabbits i might need a cage.

cute pooch

Dignan

The Soapmaker!
Veteran
Update: I ended up using some leftover chicken wire on 1/2 the plants rather than the hardware cloth. Last night I checked the plots and 2 of the containers (each has 3-4 plants in it) have nothing but stems inside. :pointlaugh:

No digging, no chewing, no holes anywhere, except for the 1" or so holes the chicken wire has in it... whatever is getting in there is able to squeeze through the holes in the chicken wire.

I didn't want to do it, but my next course of action is going to be to put 2 mouse traps on the surface of the soil in each pot. Whatever is getting inside the chicken wire cages is going to regret it. :bat:

In the future, I'll using nothing but hardware cloth.

redlevels

Dignan said:
Update: I ended up using some leftover chicken wire on 1/2 the plants rather than the hardware cloth. Last night I checked the plots and 2 of the containers (each has 3-4 plants in it) have nothing but stems inside.

Sorry to hear the plants was eaten by the vermin, I had the same experience, it fucked up my only 2 blue berry seeds that actually sprouted and messed up my 2007 blue berry season.

But I read that redfox urine works on rodent and squirrels, so I'm thinking redfox urine in combination with the less expensive chicken wire fence might be the trick?

Last edited:

Kev555

Fishing line is a very good, cheap and effective alternative for dear and other animals since they don't see it and will freak out once they touch it. It's also barely visible from the sky.

yes, i also have to endorse that fishing line. just lost 50 plants to deer this weekend. i was beyond pissed!good thing i've got more seed and enough time to get more started.use no less than 45lb strength.

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you're going to be stringing 45 pound fish line you better be sure there are no kids around. That size test could cut skin before it breaks. It will also break wings of birds and if low enough becomes a good trip wire. If someone runs into this they are going to start looking around.......

BACKCOUNTRY

Mourning the loss of my dog......
Veteran
Fishing line is BS in my experience, tried it once during my OG days, all I got was tore up fishing line and my plants destroyed....

My assumption is that a buck got his antlers hooked into it and freaked out......

Last edited:
in my neck 'o da woods be jackpines thet be blown over by da wind. ive found using dead tops, 2'-3' lg. ea. , placed strategically over da grow makes fer a good deer barrier. da trunks need to be broken so to look natural. this works well fer me

Kev555

You have to place it correctly. Not too far from the plant and not too high. Also, use trees or put sticks in the ground and put one line 1 inch from the ground for small creatures, 2, 3 and 4 inches for rabbits, 10 inches, 15 inches and so on.

I haven't tried it yet but if all installed correctly it must work.

alih92

LMAO at the thought of rabbits eating thc coated buds. LOL For me animals is not a problem one problem i'm having is that the mexican lawn mowers keep mowing my tomato and carrot plants please help what do i do? Should i deport them. Yes im serious this is a real problem i'm having.

Last edited:

Gantz

Smoke weed and prosper
Veteran
Meet the ENEMY

Eh, (bud munching sound) ... what's up, doc?"

3648Marijuana_Happy_Bunnies_by_marijuana.jpg

Last edited:

alih92

lol but really those mexicans are killing my veggies please help can i make a cage for mexicans or better yet get a man eating taco or get those mexicans deported or even better trade them seeds for those killer mexican seeds.

Dignan

The Soapmaker!
Veteran
Suspect Apprehended

Suspect Apprehended

Dignan said:
Update: I ended up using some leftover chicken wire on 1/2 the plants rather than the hardware cloth. Last night I checked the plots and 2 of the containers (each has 3-4 plants in it) have nothing but stems inside. :pointlaugh:

No digging, no chewing, no holes anywhere, except for the 1" or so holes the chicken wire has in it... whatever is getting in there is able to squeeze through the holes in the chicken wire.

I didn't want to do it, but my next course of action is going to be to put 2 mouse traps on the surface of the soil in each pot. Whatever is getting inside the chicken wire cages is going to regret it. :bat:

In the future, I'll using nothing but hardware cloth.

Caught a few of the culprits.

rusto

Beast
^ oh man that little fucker still got in there but failed to get what he wanted. Is that a mouse?!

Dignan

The Soapmaker!
Veteran
Yep, just a regular field mouse. Several of them. I have a feeling that there are 10 mice for every one trap that was in stock at the local grocery store. In other words, it would be silly for me to use traps to control mice rather than to just use hardware cloth cages that they can't possibly fit through. This was really just a test to see what in the hell was eating my plants while I was gone.

Just thought I would add my 2 cents...

I found that a lot of the paint I had sprayed on my chicken wire came off after I had rolled up my cages for transport in my backpack and unrolled them again in the field. The wire was very shiny before painting so i guess the paint didn't stick well. Next time I will use the fire method. Thanks for all the good info, peace.

bongasaurus

king of the dinosaurs
Veteran
a little makeshift but they seem to be working.

i wont show you the 2 ones that got eaten. im assuming rabbits or ground hogs. covered over top well but not near the bottom. going to bulk up all the other next weekend just to be safe...

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
you should really paint those black though. I was watching a thing just the other day about how they spot marijuana grows and they said the easiest is spotting metal glint from chicken fencing.

PHB

Motaco - what was it you were watching? It sounds like it could be helpful in learning about stealth techniques.

Thanks,
PHB

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
it was a really funny video. it's on google vid or you tube. its called

"marijuana: the real facts. anti marijuana educational video. reading the smoke signals"

the grow stuff is in the middle. they even show some of those floating raft swamp buckets busted, small greenhouses etc. I think they also wanted to put in this video for kids a message like "if you grow weed we WILL find it" by showing them small personal busts and stuff. trying to convince them not to put ten plants in the woods.

better chance those small busts were happenstance or a tipoff.