What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Which foliar(s) in preflower and/or flower?

Mengsk

Organic community, in full disclosure I am attempting a hybrid organic approach this season. The starts kept in coco and a mix of bagged soils and perlite in 1, 2, 5 gallon grow pots. Maxsea or atlantic kelp-based 16-16-16 seems to be working great as an all in one until the soil takes over which is all worm humus and bat guano mixed in with compost native soil and 3-5 limes or rock dusts.

Foliar feeding at ~1/4 strength and alternating with water has been working well with some tiny beginnings of mold or something on a couple lower leaves but overall the plants enjoy the boost I think. Cut back on spraying a little to lower humidity.

What does anyone foliar feed during flowering? While I'm ok with maxsea on the vegetative growth I think I'll attempt a final round of either neem oil (from Berry Hill), sesame oil (Bee Safe 3 in 1), any pest control and then let the soil feed the plants. With less experience outdoor growing I'm not too familiar if anyone foliar feeds at this time and if so what with, thank you.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
I was under the impression that you shouldn't really foliar spray anything during flower? That the extra moisture can lead to bud rot? Do people spray in foliar and I'm just doing it wrong?

Mengsk

Ok so don't spray the buds with anything except maybe water or rain got it. But what if bugs or something come can I spray the leaves or lower parts of the plant once it starts flowering with neem oil or something or will that affect the taste of the flowers?

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
I also was under the impression you should never use neem during flower. Hopefully somebody with more experience can verify or contradict that.

RogueChief

If you're growing indoors I wouldn't worry about spraying anything during flower. Neem oil should be used in veg but if you sprayed it in flower it will turn all your pistils brown. I grow outdoors and have to spray BT through flower or else my buds would be infested with caterpillars. I also live in California and the weather is pretty dry in the summer so I don't have to worry too much about high humidity or mold/rot on buds even with the foliar.

Bozzer

I foliar feed all the way threw with seaweed, maxi crop, fulvic acid, em-1 and sometimes coconut water I have had a little grey mold, I remove and spray with a diluted solution H2O2, keeps it under control

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
^^Also dont spray with anything fish blood related outside of Veg..

Once the nugs get past a 1/2" to an inch you are asking for trouble spraying them with anything indoors imvho, unless maybe your environment is perfect..

Some things could be argued to be sprayed on plants in flower but you really should have soil good enough that no deficiencies are showing up anyway before you start thinking too much about foliar feeding, Imo.

That said foliar feeding isn't bad its just why are you needing to? What's up with your soil?

If you have to "correct" anything later get a small fine mister and spray the undersides of leaves..

I'm super curious about research showing the benefits of spraying vitamin C, Glutathione and B vitamins on plants to help with antioxidant prevented salt stress, @ 50 and 100ppm.. I test sprayed my plants in early flower with these on my last grow just to see if they would react badly or anything and nothing but huge happy fan leaves.. I only sprayed them once with at each conc. mind you.. I can't post the research from this device tho, a simple google search and you'll find it all.

Seaweed is the most widely accepted foliar feed for all the growth hormones and micronutrients..

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've never sprayed for pests after flowers set but I have used a full strength solution of GH Maxibloom mixed with some Fulvic acid as a foliar around the second week of flower as a bloom booster. This was in addition to normal feeding and I was outdoors spraying in the heat of the day so that the plants would dry sufficiently previous to nightfall.

The knowlege base that this idea was derived from came from an Aussie website that I do not have a link to. I spent a while searching for it but cannot seem to find it. I'll have to see if my buddy still has a link. He showed me the info 2 or 3 years ago.

Anyway, using fulvic acid increases foliar feed efficiency up to 20x when compared to root feeding according to these folks. I need to find that info again. When I do I'll try and get a link posted in this thread.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
... from my Bonsai days, we usually used a foliar(s) spray when, for some reason the roots weren't uptaking the nutrients on a recovering plant for whatever reason, always liquid seaweed or liquid fish, seaweed being preferred. I've never used fluvic acid outside root applications, so I can't really comment. Yes the stomatas will take in some, but ... the gains of doing so on a "healthy plant" minimal at best.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
^^Also dont spray with anything fish blood related outside of Veg..

Once the nugs get past a 1/2" to an inch you are asking for trouble spraying them with anything indoors imvho, unless maybe your environment is perfect..

Some things could be argued to be sprayed on plants in flower but you really should have soil good enough that no deficiencies are showing up anyway before you start thinking too much about foliar feeding, Imo.

That said foliar feeding isn't bad its just why are you needing to? What's up with your soil?

If you have to "correct" anything later get a small fine mister and spray the undersides of leaves..

I'm super curious about research showing the benefits of spraying vitamin C, Glutathione and B vitamins on plants to help with antioxidant prevented salt stress, @ 50 and 100ppm.. I test sprayed my plants in early flower with these on my last grow just to see if they would react badly or anything and nothing but huge happy fan leaves.. I only sprayed them once with at each conc. mind you.. I can't post the research from this device tho, a simple google search and you'll find it all.

Seaweed is the most widely accepted foliar feed for all the growth hormones and micronutrients..
Give that man a cigar :) :tiphat:

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here's a link the site I mentioned before.

https://www.nutri-tech.com.au/

Check the Blogs.
There's way to much to absorb in a few weeks so this could easily become a go to page for some of yall.

The blogs I'm referring to are over a year old so go back a ways and see what yall can find.

Latest posts

Latest posts