What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Freezing nutrient solution

bobert

Hey guys and gals!

I'm running a 5 gal dwc bucket connected to another 5 gal auxiliary res.

I need to cool down the water a bit. I know I can use frozen water bottles but it would be easier to use ice cubes.

Has anyone premixed their nutrients and made ice cubes out of it? I'm using GH nutrients.

It sounds like a weird idea, but if it's possible, you can use the ice to adjust your res for pH/ppm over time while it melts.

Let me know your thoughts and thanks for reading! :tiphat:

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
(If you live in Northern climates you would know why we toss our ferts at the end of the year. Ferts do not like being frozen. Granules are OK but all liquids get tossed season to season. That is why folks use water bottles = an undiluted reservoir :)

Last edited:

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I'd give this a shot. As long as you can freeze and unthaw the diluted mix without nutrient lockout happening, I can see this working. I know undiluted nutrients definitely don't like being frozen, as Switcher56 pointed out. :)

bobert

Thanks for your reply!

I apologize for any confusion, I should have elaborated in my first post. I would premix the Lucas Formula diluted in a gallon and then make ice cubes from that.

Not using only undiluted nutrients to freeze.

It would help manage pH/ppm swings over time with pre-adjusted cubes. As long as it does not melt immediately.

Over the next couple days I'll freeze a couple cubes, and drop 'em in a jar with water to see if cloudiness or anything else negative happens. I'll post back my findings.

hvac guy

Use a small deepfreeze as a reservoir, easy to keep temps exactly where you want, plug the power for the deep freeze into a temp controller like a Ranco etc111000.

bobert

The plants are under a scrog screen so I can't really move it or change how the reservoir is set up. I'll post some pics.

That's a pretty good idea though for sure!

bobert

It's definitely a budget grow lol

picture.php

picture.php

bobert

So I ran out of the gh flora series. I'll pick some up this week to do the same experiment. I froze micro and bloom by Humboldt countys own, it's the same NPK ratio that GH has.

Even though I vigorously shook the premixed gallon, I found that the bottom of the ice cube was darker than the top. I honestly don't feel comfortable using that in my res.

I'm waiting for premixed maxibloom to freeze, I don't have to pH the maxxi as it's around 5.8 with my tap water. Plus it's a 1 part mix instead of 2 with micro and bloom, so I have higher hopes for this one. I'll post the results!

Thanks for reading! :tiphat:

MrBungle

A couple problems I could see happening ... the solution not freezing because of the salts added to the solution.... or if it does freeze the salts could settle to the bottom of the ice cube as it freezes and melt at a different rate than the water content of the solution... Either way I'd give it a try to see what happens

Edit: didnt see the above post

MrBungle

If the salts settle to the bottom of the ice cube, and melt at a different rate than the water.... Wouldn't throw off the balance of a completely mixed nutrient solution in a res?

bobert

A couple problems I could see happening ... the solution not freezing because of the salts added to the solution.... or if it does freeze the salts could settle to the bottom of the ice cube as it freezes and melt at a different rate than the water content of the solution... Either way I'd give it a try to see what happens

Edit: didnt see the above post

That's exactly what I was thinking. Because salt lowers the freezing point of water.

Thaw it out, see what it looks like? Unless there's fallout/precipitate, it should be good. yes?

I hope it will still be good. It's melting in a jar with water as I type, I'll toss it by a window to speed it up a bit. And I'll update how it looks of course!

If the salts settle to the bottom of the ice cube, and melt at a different rate than the water.... Wouldn't throw off the balance of a completely mixed nutrient solution in a res?

Yes that's what I was thinking. At least with the 2 part micro/bloom. With Gh maxibloom it might be different. We will see!

You'd be much better off to just buy a chiller and a pump. Your nutes will stay cool and mixed.

I know I wish, it's just expensive, and there's a lot of cheaper alternatives.

Last edited:

bobert

I definitely agree. Just not in the budget at the moment. It'd be kinda difficult to plumb considering the current setup, plus I think I would need 2.

Home-Grown

Depending on skills, you can control a fridge or freezer by wiring an SSR into cable and switch with something like STC-1000 Thermostat controller.

Or use TEC devices.
I build my own equipment, which is complex and exspensive but I know it is not going fail.

You can buy prebuilt version good for about 25 Ltr up to 30c ambient: http://jbapump.com/Product/EnShowProduct110.html

Fridges and freezers work good for climate control.
Here is some info on fridge conversion for brewing.

https://www.brewpi.com/fridge-hacking-guide/

I know this is likely overkill for the questioner and off the ice subject, but this is the best realistic answer for the bigger probs

Chemdawggy Dawg

All you'd need is a 1/10 hp chiller. Hook buckets with plants together the same way you already did, put the pump in one reservoir bucket, plumb through the chiller and into the other reservoir bucket, bang homemade u shaped undercurrent. I bet you can do it for less than $300. There are stores that sell used equipment Trying to do it with ice or bottles is just asking for a failure. I've been there, it sucks when you can't leave for a couple hours. It might not be feasible to build it this round but is definitely doable next time. Good luck.