What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New Brothers Grimm C99 and 630w CMH, in dwc!!!

Orange glue #2 Day 62. This is the chunkiest of the Orange Glues and definitely a looker in the color department.
picture.php

Stewart- Roughly 5 weeks of veg, plus another week ish to go from planting to seedling.

All in all for my first try with aeroponics with a home built setup, I'm content with the outcome. I learned a lot this round and I'll be adjusting accordingly for the next one.

The dwc side is ready to come down and should be happening today. Well almost all. One of the c99 #3 is taking her sweet time fading, and will get a couple extra days to flush.

I'll also get an up close with Orange glue #2, and a few others today.

Dwc side is chopped! New 4×4 Veg tent is up. c99 #3's and c99 #5 are hanging in the 2×4 tent. Normally I wet trim and hang trimmed bud. This time I cut them at the base and I'm gonna let them slow dry as full trees. Between the structure of c99 and ambient rh at 30% I'm not too worried about bud rot or mould. Oh and the 2x4 has a carbon filter with hyperfan for indirect airflow and smell control. Both c99 #4s were chopped and trimmed. I've got a packed tube in the freezer for making fresh frozen shatter tomorrow. Tube holds roughly 6 oz dry. No weights taken on #4 as it's all being turned to concentrates by various methods. At time of chop #4 is floral and slightly fruity. First batch of fresh frozen will be done my normal way. The trat is open for experiments. Any suggestions to try other than making shatter with it?

Since I didn't run any concentrates, here is an update on hulk smash #10 instead. She is almost to stem snap dry. The nose is fruit punch up front and car tire rubber. I'm expecting some serious smell once she Is cured. Normally drying I don't notice this potent of a smell. Density is on a whole different level. Across the board the hulk smash cuts are the densest plants I've grown to date. It's a toss up between hulk smash #10 and hulk smash #1 for densest plant. First picture is of a lower branch that was cut at beginning of week 8 and dried. Second picture is of The main cola 2 days into week 9. Resin production has exploded in week 8, this is definitely a 9 to 10 week plant.

Oh and for everyone's information the aero table is under a 4200k 630w cmh bulb. The dwc side was under a 3000k 630w cmh bulb. A single 630w bulb with a hydrofarm open reflector covers a 5×5 space pretty damn well in my opinion. I can't remember the model number for the reflector, but it's the same wide angle reflector that came with my phantom 1000w DE setup.

picture.php

picture.php

@FrozenFire
Whats the water cycle on your aero table, on/off times?

On cycle is 5 seconds, off cycle is 5 minutes. On off cycles don't seem to be super critical. I just set it by time it takes for the table to drain and add a few minutes for the roots to get some air. I've messed with cycle times and I didn't see too much change with longer or shorter intervals. Just watch your plants reactions and adjust accordingly.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
On cycle is 5 seconds, off cycle is 5 minutes. On off cycles don't seem to be super critical. I just set it by time it takes for the table to drain and add a few minutes for the roots to get some air. I've messed with cycle times and I didn't see too much change with longer or shorter intervals. Just watch your plants reactions and adjust accordingly.

I found that longer on cycles inceased growth, as the roots grow into matt's. They responed well to having the roots flushed, maybe removing waste nutes from prev. watering.

I Have always been running High pressure, so maybe that play a factor, as much less water is being used.

The 5 seconds on is all it takes to move a couple gallons of solution from the res to the table. They do get a good soaking as the bottleneck is the 1" drain I use takes a bit to drain.

Before building a low pressure system I researched low and high pressure systems. I wound up going low pressure as I wanted to be able to repurpose system components if I didn't care for it. What kind of results are you getting with your high pressure system?

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Id love to say 1.25 easy, but that would not be true :) You can get thouse result, but for me it did not come easy.

Im an old fart when it come to aero, and I used to run, what I think is called True aeroponica today?

Highpressure with mist under 80 micron and so on, and it's awesome when you have it dialed in. It's like ridding a Formular 1 car, freaking awesome raw power and great yeilds.

But it's very very much like a F1 car, everything have to run perfect or your gonna crash horrible! It's so unforgiving, a small mistake and it's a kick to the balls.

Don't get me wrong, I loved growing aeroponics. I have not seen anything outgrow a dialed in aeroponic grow op, but if something is not perfect. It will not run any better then, DWC, NFT, drip system or any other hydro setup.

So once you have 100% control over Air, Co2, day/night air temps, water temps, and nutrients dialed in for the strain. Then you get your high yeilds, before that it's just another hydro setup. So unless you do it for the challenge or aiming towards comercial growing, I would think twice before switching.
I found it very hard to build small aeroponics, running high pressure. You run pumps at minimum 5 bar, they tend to more A lot of water, and 80 micron misters don't.

Finding a small pump at minimum 5 bar, thats also acid resistant have proven a challenge for me in the past.

btw im not running aeroponics anymore, the commercial growing is in the past for me.

You nailed the reasons I built a low pressure system instead. I love tinkering with stuff, hence the initial interest in high pressure aero. I got as far as a paper build and sourcing parts. At this point it may be a future science project. Low pressure is simpler to run and maintain. I appreciate your input and sage advice with the system though!

So here is some day 66 Orange glue #6. This is by far the frostiest plant in the aero table.
picture.php

picture.php

Palindrome

King of Schwag
That plant looks damn nice, hope she smokes as well as she looks :smokeit:

That table would look sweet, with a mono crop of that pheno!

Eventually I might monocrop.... Next run will be this crop minus c99 re ran. I'll be doing a side by side with 5 cuts each in aero and dwc. Cuts will be hulk smash #1 and #10, orange glue #1, #2, and #6. This will be on a separate thread in the hydroponics subforum. I'll be getting all 5 cuts tested for potency and 2 of them for terpene profile. The link will be in my signature when I get around to updating it. I will post test results once I get them here as well.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Sounds good, tho I have always been a sucker for monocrop in hydro. But you got to do what you got to do, finding the right phenos before you can go that way.

As I have been away for a long time, these terpenes is "new" to me. Well we knew there where something about it, but not like today. A friend gave me some terpens, are you crazy some flavor it holds and nice effect. I am deffently going to make me some of that, when I get a crop in house. The other part of the mix, with crystalised THC. What is this, Breaking bad canna style? :D Love it

Last night was somewhat productive. I finally ran the tube of fresh frozen c99 #4 and I got c99 #5 trimmed up. Short version is #5 was a lot fluffier than I thought initially. I kept 32 grams of top shelf buds. The other 72g will be added to the concentrates pile. The c99 #4 concentrate pile is 116g from the 2 c99 #4 Plants not counting the material used for the fresh frozen run.

The fresh frozen bho turned out interesting this time. This isn't my typical stable shatter. When it's cold it's shatter. As it warms up to room temp it turns into a substance that reminds me of pine sap. Stupid sticky and pliable. It has a delicate floral smell with undertones of sweet pineapple. Did I mention it's fucking sticky?! I trashed 3 sets of gloves handling it.

picture.php

Forgot to mention I found out that hulk smash is aptly named! I rolled a reasonably sized joint and gave it two good hits. I put it out with the idea of finishing it after I saw what kind of head change two rips would do. Two hours later I finally started to think normally again. Two hours after that I wasn't floating on clouds and had some serious munchies. Hulk smash is not a daytime smoke or for when you need to get anything done that requires thought or any sort of motivation. It made aches and pains cease to exist and didn't put me to sleep surprisingly. Unlit green hit is straight fruityness. Smoke was super smooth with little expansion and no burn or coughing involved. She had a semislow come on and kept creeping after initial onset. This was hulk smash #10. Super dense buds, and coated in sticky resin. After breaking up the bud by hand I had to clean my fingers before I could handle the rolling paper ha ha.

The rest of the tent got cut down today and is hanging up to dry. I'll post plant pics prior to chop once I get them all loaded. Initial impressions of everything is hulk smash has some serious potential than will be interesting to work with. Across the board dense colas, with Golf ball size lowers that are dense as well. Going to be impressive weight with regard to plant size. Healthy resin production and great smells. Orange glue overall is fluffier, very colorful, citrus nosed, and absolutely coated in resin. This strain is plant that will do very well for making concentrates. Weights per plant will vary as some cuts have better structure than others. Blue dream well they were the smaller of the plants in the tent. Colas are fat and stupid leafy. Density is average, nose is blueberry for sure, it's still not a favorite of mine as I hate trimming leafy strains. Resin production was better than previous times I've grown hso blue dream from seed.

The aero table has been reloaded with cuts from most of the plants from last run. I have added 1 c99 #3 to the aero table as well as some tangerine kush clones as well. I'm really looking forward to running the tangerine kush again. She was missed as she sat out on this last run. By far my favorite smelling plant to grow. I topped a bunch of clones and I plan on doing a fair bit of training this round. I'm also probably going to trellis the aero table as well. Growing main colas was fun, but I like more tops better. The 5 dwc totes were reloaded with hulk smash and Orange glue cuts.

The aeroponics experiment is a resounding success and will be changing how I grow. Hands down it's my favorite method of cloning and growing plants. If this run through bloom goes as problem free as the first one was after getting dialed in, I'm done with dwc. Being able to run a 4x4 table with one 27g tote outside the tent is worth it's weight in gold. Plant growth rates with low pressure aero are on par with dwc. The part I didn't think about and am stoked about is the post harvest clean up of the 4x4 table took way less time than the 5 dwc totes. The 4x4 table will take even less time next time as I have eliminated hydroton completely from that equation.

Anyone with questions, fire away. I'll post photos as promised, and lab test results in about 2 weeks or so once I have them. I'll be running more concentrates as well. The rest will be with dried material. Pictures of finished shatter will be posted as well. I'll be weighing and figuring out yield percentages on it. I'll share numbers if anyone is interested.

Thanks for hanging out with me as I stumbled my way through another grow, it's been a hell of a time!