What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

THCA CBDA coconut oil?

OrBeFar

Hi all,

I was wondering if it was possible to make a THCA CBDA rich coconut oil? I tired it.. but can't find anyone else who has.

I have a strain that tested out at a 1:1 both around 8%. Most obviously still in acid form.
My father has a torn meniscus, and another with r.arthritis, and another with DDD. I wanted to start by targeting the anitinflamatory properties of the acids by making a salve. The easy first step (first timer) was coconut oil.

Process: (in short)
Chopped up airy bud, at about 55%jar moisture (quality but not trim worthy)
Bud and coconut oil Into Double boiler at 130f for 20 hours
Mixing and crushing a bit often.
Last two hours raised slowly to 170f with added hot water (1part water:2part coconutoil)

Screened with cheesecloth, material purged with hot water (150f) to collect more goodies..
Mixture then screen via a 160u mesh pulled tight.

The mixture is not separating in the fridge.

Guess my question is, did I just make a bad ads THCA CBDA rich coconut oil? Or did I waste the bud...

All input welcome. Cheers.

Maple_Flail

well, some THCA and CBDA likely got converted. in a topical that is not really a bad thing.

I"ve never made a topical with Raw forms intentionally left intact, the Topicals i've done have all be activated, at its micro dose style. 60-70mg of activated cannabinoids in a half cup of solid coconut oil. as far as i know that patient is still working thru the first batch. A little goes a long way.

Gut instinct, this oil will be more 'useful" before bed to help sleep, consuming it that is. however it could be possible that the raw forms could help topically i've never tried. other than copious handling of personal material.

If it doesn't work, cook it again, don't go above 300f

Gry

have a friend who has a knee that bothers him. Started about 3 or 4 years ago.
A gram of frozen quick wash per ounce of olive oil. A strong OG is used for the quick wash.
That evolved to one gram of frozen quick wash, per ounce of 50/50 mix of olive and coconut oils.
What he is using now is the arctic ice mixed with the decarbed quick wash at a gram per ounce, or 8 grams per container.
Here is a link for the arctic ice:https://www.amazon.com/Arctic-Ice-Analgesic-Gel-Pack/dp/B00KMAET4G
I make this stuff up 4 containers worth at a time, and he lets me know when starts in on 4, and I mix up a new batch.
My buddy does landscaping work, and credits canna in helping him to keep working.

OrBeFar

@maple flail, thanks for sharing your experience. Sounds like you see effect with much fewer mg then I have used! Will def be decarbing some soon. So far some arthritic hands have seen relief, and swelling down on the torn knee, but still pain. Others have yet to chime in on their experience. Also, great point on the handling of raw material. Always wondered if I'm absorbing anything through my skin in those moments. I get the impression you beleive so?

@Gry, sounds like a very exciting thing to give a try! Thanks for sharing that, def steps it up a notch, but not too far out of my reach! I'll shoot my finding back at you some day when I get there!

Maple_Flail

@maple flail, thanks for sharing your experience. Sounds like you see effect with much fewer mg then I have used! Will def be decarbing some soon. So far some arthritic hands have seen relief, and swelling down on the torn knee, but still pain. Others have yet to chime in on their experience. Also, great point on the handling of raw material. Always wondered if I'm absorbing anything through my skin in those moments. I get the impression you beleive so?

@Gry, sounds like a very exciting thing to give a try! Thanks for sharing that, def steps it up a notch, but not too far out of my reach! I'll shoot my finding back at you some day when I get there!

Well there are natural oils on your skin, in theory that could be enough to damage the weakest of trichome into breaking and depositings parts of its substance.

that being said, the pain i feel while trimming is back pain, not hand pain so i would not be a very good gauge as my hands never needed to feel better at the time.

As for dosing, yup, without any real mechanism of getting high from it, you can really gauge the "breakpoint" of the intended effectiveness based on target relief.

When your smoking your medicating your whole body, when you at using a topical you are medication a very specific area of your body.

much less is needed because much less is covered. I've got a loose ratio of the idea around daily dose to transition to topical care.

It appears 1% of what you would smoke in a day in MG of cannabinoids is a good starting ground for topical creams for localized treatment. For something like a bath salt infusion, more of your body is getting medicated therefore a higher dose is required. so in these instances 10% of what you would smoke in a day in MG of cannabinoids is a good point to start at, be warned over doing on a medicated bath will lead to jello legs..

OrBeFar

Well there are natural oils on your skin, in theory that could be enough to damage the weakest of trichome into breaking and depositings parts of its substance.

that being said, the pain i feel while trimming is back pain, not hand pain so i would not be a very good gauge as my hands never needed to feel better at the time.

As for dosing, yup, without any real mechanism of getting high from it, you can really gauge the "breakpoint" of the intended effectiveness based on target relief.

When your smoking your medicating your whole body, when you at using a topical you are medication a very specific area of your body.

much less is needed because much less is covered. I've got a loose ratio of the idea around daily dose to transition to topical care.

It appears 1% of what you would smoke in a day in MG of cannabinoids is a good starting ground for topical creams for localized treatment. For something like a bath salt infusion, more of your body is getting medicated therefore a higher dose is required. so in these instances 10% of what you would smoke in a day in MG of cannabinoids is a good point to start at, be warned over doing on a medicated bath will lead to jello legs..

Localized treatment vs whole body great and simple view point to observe it from! And a medicated bath! Also enlightening! I am personally "blessed" with amazing health "knock on wood". So these pain management techniques are all very new to me. Getting to combine them with canna for the people around me in hopes that they can also enjoy a pain free life feels like I'm doing something souly good for the first time in my life.... thank you for your input! Let me know if you write a "pain management with canna for dummies book" ;). I'll buy!!

I use around twice the cannabinoids that Maple does (if my math is right)

I use 7 grams of 9% CBD/9% THC flowers extracted with isopropyl. I then infuse the cannabinoids into 100ml of mixed oils; coconut, olive and emu.

2% by volume of both Copaiba and Francinsence oils are added along with 20ml of beeswax.

Pour into 125ml mason jar. Lasts the wife around 18 days.

I've also used an extraction of dandelion and/or cayenne to mix in. The dandelion/cannabis salve was a hit last year with the senior crowd.
It worked well for my old guy aches and pains.:dance013:

Maple_Flail

I use around twice the cannabinoids that Maple does (if my math is right)

I use 7 grams of 9% CBD/9% THC flowers extracted with isopropyl. I then infuse the cannabinoids into 100ml of mixed oils; coconut, olive and emu.

2% by volume of both Copaiba and Francinsence oils are added along with 20ml of beeswax.

Pour into 125ml mason jar. Lasts the wife around 18 days.

I've also used an extraction of dandelion and/or cayenne to mix in. The dandelion/cannabis salve was a hit last year with the senior crowd.
It worked well for my old guy aches and pains.:dance013:

well, I'm not using the dosage i suggest starting at regularly. I don't suffer from much that a topical like this can help outside of the rare kitchen burn. high pain tolerance for anything but my stomach condition and my busted knee ( it still works, but the knee cap needs to be reminded of its job frequently and often. doesn't cause me pain anymore just won' bloody stay in place)(i take cbd oil during the winter and that seems to last me thru the summer and fall. I'm not really a topical kinda guy, i can work it out in my head for someone else.. but use it myself.. NOPE hard NOPE i'd rather clean public toilets.

This was for a patient, i can't really actually say how long it should last. This patient constantly forgets until i remind her she has it.

she uses it for headaches, that time of the month stuff, general bumps n bruises and occasionally for stomach ache to deal with her horrid diet. (a caregiver can only influence so much.. le sigh)

I would classify her categorically as a lightweight, maybe just beyond starting to build up a tolerance (5 years later)

the average patient or average person with experience would likely need a higher dose, i would hope that i did say it was a starting point LOL