What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How Hot Is Your Flower?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Thank You! :)
Excellent info to digest! So, there is basis in the lightweight, slightly off-white ash being low mineral. I have yet to say "Oh, very nice!" when the ash is heavy and black. The quality is always so poor.

Toasted plant matter, 600f - 800f, eh? You're spot on with the darker ash and incomplete combustion. My bowl ash is white/grey-tint, my joint ash is grey with flecks of black and white. :) I'll have to pay attention to the cherry color now. lol Got me thinking. (edit: dark red, brightening to a dull orange when taking a toke.)

All of the ash is super lightweight.

Crude test is to weigh a gram, roast it to pure ash and weigh the ash. right? This would be sort of accurate with cannabis without pest chemicals in/o it. Correct? (what about air pollutants?)

Douglas.Curtis

Soaking the bong at the day spa, in anticipation of the upcoming photoshoot. lol I usually do a deep clean on it once a month. Been a few months with all the chaos here. ;)

Crude test is to weigh a gram, roast it to pure ash and weigh the ash. right? This would be sort of accurate with cannabis without pest chemicals in/o it. Correct? (what about air pollutants?)

As single quality test I think it doesn't mean that much.
For smoking anyway isn't it more important what is in your smoke than what stays in the ashes?

Presence of active compounds is more important. They all are not really detectable in the ashes.
Genetics play a role too.
You can't detect anything that evaporates or organic compounds.
Sugar on your bud would burn off at high enough temperature. The smoke is not healthy.
As you say air pollutants like dust, sand (organic dust or mineral dust?) could false your results.
The are burning enhancers or retardants that could be added.

I think it could help to compare mineral content of plants grown by the same grower in a similar clean environment.

For testing you should repeat the roasting until your ash weight stays constant. Roasting with a flame could add weight.
Make sure there is no air humidity around or the ashes will take it up and false the results.

You could do several tests on the same plant material to see if your method gives constant results.

Douglas.Curtis

As single quality test I think it doesn't mean that much.
For smoking anyway isn't it more important what is in your smoke than what stays in the ashes?
Wow, talk about missing the obvious. You're right. Only the non-smoke is in the ash. Leftovers are only an indicator of what the smoke was like. lol How do you test the mineral content of smoke??? First thing I visualized is a smoke tube with multiple sensors and a mass of wiring. lol

Ringodoggie

Premium user
They should be able to analyze pot smoke using the same apparatus and procedures as they do for cigarette smoke.... yes?

I would love to see studies on the smoke itself. I have searched the world over and apparently no one has done any studies on what's in the actual smoke we all take in. Odd. You would think someone would be interested beside me. LOL

Douglas.Curtis

This thread is spam for a book rerelease. Kinda clever. However, it is still SPAM.
Cute, but untrue. The thread is due to enjoying an early chop harvest which is still significantly cleaner than the last 2 years of other grower cannabis. The fact I was able to finish editing and re-releasing my book recently is also due to the same harvest. (Thank you CBD!)

Great timing, but not spam. Why? How hot is YOUR flower?? ;)

Douglas.Curtis

They should be able to analyze pot smoke using the same apparatus and procedures as they do for cigarette smoke.... yes?

I would love to see studies on the smoke itself. I have searched the world over and apparently no one has done any studies on what's in the actual smoke we all take in. Odd. You would think someone would be interested beside me. LOL
Is there a list of what minerals/chems/elements this type of equipment tests for online somewhere?

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Check out this thread.... https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=348648

The links in the first 5 or 6 posts is what I found on cannabis smoke research.

The one thing I found that was incredibly interesting was the one about why cannabis smoke does not contribute to COPD or smoker's cough. And, why it does not contrib to the carcinogens in smoke like cigs do. As it turns out, something in the cannabis smoke encapsulates the carcinogenic moles in their precurser form and never allows them to activate. Pretty neat stuff.

Not a lot of data, for sure.

Douglas.Curtis

Check out this thread.... https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=348648

The links in the first 5 or 6 posts is what I found on cannabis smoke research.

The one thing I found that was incredibly interesting was the one about why cannabis smoke does not contribute to COPD or smoker's cough. And, why it does not contrib to the carcinogens in smoke like cigs do. As it turns out, something in the cannabis smoke encapsulates the carcinogenic moles in their precurser form and never allows them to activate. Pretty neat stuff.

Not a lot of data, for sure.
Great find!
My wife has used my cannabis for over a decade to co trol asthma and reactive airways disease attacks. Cannabis from dispensaries and most other growers often causes her issues. Though I'm sure most of the reason is because I use high micron air filtration, you have to wonder if the .ineral issuecontributes as well.

I greatly dislike posting from this phone! lol

Douglas.Curtis

Aha... FINALLY a use for the laser temperature thing I have somewhere :) My thumb is safe :good:
Oooooh, I hadn't thought of that! Definitely interested in any data using it. Especially if you have flower and grow stats from other growers as well. :)

Spaventa

Veteran
Oooooh, I hadn't thought of that! Definitely interested in any data using it. Especially if you have flower and grow stats from other growers as well. :)

If i set it so its pointing at the bowl, it will give a continuous read out of the temperature - ill be back with data

Leftovers are only an indicator of what the smoke was like. lol How do you test the mineral content of smoke??? First thing I visualized is a smoke tube with multiple sensors and a mass of wiring. lol

I think there are no minerals in the smoke.

Put some smoke in a GC or HPLC, maybe?

Aha... FINALLY a use for the laser temperature thing I have somewhere :) My thumb is safe :good:
:woohoo:

This thread is spam for a book rerelease. Kinda clever. However, it is still SPAM.

Somehow sound so

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
if you do a search you will find this discussion was had a long time ago, maybe about 10 years ago or so.

I used data from tobacco research to illustrate the effect of mineral uptake on heat of combustion, it's out there for sure.

funny more people aren't keen to the differential just through experience

I think smoke is composed of vaporised cannabis compounds and compounds that form at these temperatures, go in gaseous state and recondense in the air you inhale.(called tar) Supposed u have a filter somehow. Mineral compounds do not evaporate at these temperatures.

edit: most likely wrong. Beside that ashes are a measure for mineral content.

Last edited:
if you do a search you will find this discussion was had a long time ago, maybe about 10 years ago or so.

I used data from tobacco research to illustrate the effect of mineral uptake on heat of combustion, it's out there for sure.

funny more people aren't keen to the differential just through experience

perfect