What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fruits from the wild: Breeding with pure sativas Mextiza and Ghana

Carraxe

Veteran
Some more pictures. I've sorted five males by now, near three weeks after 12/12 switch, and killed one I didn't like that much. I will use them for crossing, one of them has hollow stems, and all of them have nice strong odors when rubbed.

They are in 1l pots and are more than half a meter tall. For being a landrace, they show a very nice growth and structure indoors, they are branchy but not weak, and they have short internodes and stronger aromas than the American and African landraces I tested.

Some nice colors as well.

More pictures next message

CARCHOFA

Nice work carraxe! Always is interesting to see wild or almost wild genethics in action, although they prefer growing under the sun... I hope you won't have too much problems with hermies.

Carraxe

Veteran
Nice to see you around here, man. Ghana seems to be quite firm sexually, but I always try to have a look over the plants from time to time in case there are some hermies. Some times they just appear, but I have been lucky lately.

I have detected some males in all the strains, but most of what I got are females. I started using COBs in vegetative, so this may be the reason.

Cheers

Carraxe

Veteran
I've taken all the plants out of the growing tent just to check sex and take some pictures. In the bottom of the tent we have all the Senegal and Senegal Angola plants, plus a "sailor" mex weed that looks to be a female.

I couldn't find any more males, and most of the plants are still undefined sexually.

These African plants are mostly like this pair, branchy and stretchy.

I think I'll flower them in a week, and probably in the same 1l pots they are now. Cheers

Carraxe

Veteran
I have some Mextiza growing. But I have also detected a lot of mutants in the new batch, so I think I'll have to go back to the seeds I had to choose between a higher number. Anyway, there can be a good specimen in the old batch, but I'll need some months to know.

Cheers

Carraxe

Veteran
I've just pollinated a couple of Mextizas with a Ghana male. I'll pollinate different couplings Ghana-Mextiza in days and months to come, but it is nice to get started.

Cheers

Carraxe

Veteran
New year, new pictures.

First, the Ghanaian forest 39 days into flowering.

In some weeks I'll probably do a first step of selection, depending if there are noticeable differences in resin, aromas and flower production between them. I don't think they will grow much now. They are in 1l pots but they look quite happy.

And some Mextiza pictures. I just have 3 left but all of them reek with that unique smell I miss so much. 33 days since switch, five more weeks to go.

Pollinated buds:

Just one of the buds.

Cheers

Carraxe

Veteran
That's how Ghanaians look after 6 weeks since switch. They take their time, don't they?

Most of them are as tall as these two, but I started to see differences in the number of flowers they produce. I'll need some more weeks before purging the worse plants (not the flowering ones, but the clones I saved), those taken from the plants that are slower and lack resin.

They are still in 1l pots and I don't think I'm going to repot them. The problem is that since they have grown big, they need near daily watering. But they are a beauty.

Cheers

Carraxe

Veteran
Some new pictures (1/2)

Some new pictures (1/2)

Some new pictures of the Mextiza plants. I expected 8-9 weeks to harvest but it seems that under COBs it will be faster. They have been flowering for 7 weeks, but I won't cut the seeded buds till I am sure about seed maturation, so I'll perform a staged harvest.

Mextiza seeded bud:

Some other buds, from two different plants:

They are greener than usual, I don't know why, I'll have to cut the feeding.

Cheers

Carraxe

Veteran
I'm posting some pictures of the new blood I'll use to cross my Mextiza genes. These plants have been flowering for two weeks and a half, and I'm running them for the first time, so it is a test grow and I'm flowering just one of each.

La Bella de Mario Bellandi. This is a famous cut in Spain, it is supposed to come from an early step of Reina Madre. Fast tasty sativa, there isn't much information about.

Tijuana. Another famous cut. Nobody knows what it is or where it comes from, because the guy who called it Tijuana was just a liar taking profit from somebody else's work. I guess that now it could be possible to make a DNA analysis and relate it with its ancestors, probably from Holland and Mexico. Also a fast tasty sativa.

Senegal and Senegal Angola. I'll have to repot them, I'm tired of watering daily.

Everything goes as planned. :dance013:

Have fun people
Cheers

Last edited:

Carraxe

Veteran
Ghanas are the wildest ones. I culled 3 today that had very few flowers after more than 7 weeks flowering. I need the space for more interesting things than the slower females from Ghana.

I expect Senegal and Senegal x Angola to be faster, around 12 weeks, but they really grow tall and wild.

CARCHOFA

Repot them will be a nice idea in order to improve the harvest and finally enjoy some good flowers, you know...
I like the way you do.

Carraxe

Veteran
Yes, I finally had to repot all them. I also found a hermafrodite, but other plants look firm. They've been flowering for 3 weeks and I expect now to stop stretching and start producing flowers.

I've been smelling the flowers of the Ghana plants I culled after near 8 weeks. They have resin in many many very little trichomes (totally different to those we see in hybrids) and when rubbed, the smell they produce is like spicy natural rubber. Intense radish like spicy. Unique and wild for sure. I'll try to make a macro picture.

Cheers

Mudraya

I had a Swazi a few years back with that same natural rubber scent as an undertone. The top notes were perfume and candy. Must be an overall African trait?