What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Two Heads in the swamp 2017

OvergrowDaWorld

$$ ALONE $$
Veteran
AFTER STAKING AND ROPE ~
View Image

What a difference a few weeks make during stretch.

Aug 8th ~
picture.php

AUG 24th ~
picture.php

two heads

Veteran
Well for a site that I thought would be maintenance-free, it's been a lot of work lately. There were more strong winds on Monday so I went out Tuesday to see how my staking held up. The good news is none of the plants had tipped over but the two that had tipped in August had many broken branches, likely weakened by falling the first time - none of the other plants had any damage. The Sweet Tooth that had tipped right over was in particularly bad shape. This is what I saw when I arrived. You can see that almost all the lower branches on the Sweet Tooth on the right had sheared at the main stem and were turned downward:

picture.php

It may be a lost cause but I spent quite a bit of time carefully putting the branches back in position and tying them to the main stem with twine. It was almost dark when I finished so these pics are quite blurry:

picture.php

picture.php

The other thing that concerns me is how much yellowing is going on with the sun leaves. I know it's normal but the last two visits it seems a bit extreme for so early in flowering. They also seem a bit spindly compared to previous years in the same swamp. I added flowering fertilizer to all five pots in case it's a nutrient issue. Here's the best looking Sweet Tooth, followed by the biggest Critical + 2.0. They both look like they could be denser and seem to have a lot of yellowing sun leaves (which I removed after the pics were taken):

picture.php

picture.php

Bud pics (such as they are) to follow.

two heads

Veteran
All the plants are at roughly the same stage of flowering and I expect they will be done by the end of September-early October. Again, it seems to me the sun leaves have started to die back far ahead of what the bud development would indicate. Here's how they look.

Sweet Tooth, plant #1

picture.php

Sweet Tooth, plant #2 (the damaged one)

picture.php

Sweet Tooth, plant #3 (the best of the lot)

picture.php

Critical + 2.0, plant #1

picture.php

Critical + 2.0, plant #2 (getting too dark for close-ups so just a shot of the top of this very tall plant)

picture.php

In addition to the repair work, spreading more slug bait and fertilizing I also added more stakes to keep the pots from tipping and tied the main stems off to sturdy vegetation where I could (not easy in a swamp). I don't want to make many more visits before harvest. After so many years, my pathways are starting to be more noticeable, to my eyes anyway. I'll probably go back in a few weeks to judge potential harvest date(s). Hopefully none of the plants are a total loss but such are the vagaries of guerilla growing. Never any guarantees.

Dday391

They look way nicer than my plants this year. I lost a bunch early and now I'm stuck with the late starts.. It's been a rough one this year. But I hope the feed you gave gets them through to the end. Good luck

OvergrowDaWorld

$$ ALONE $$
Veteran
You really need to add some nutrients to your soil. Maybe a tbl spoon of bat guano or worm castings at the base of each stalk?

two heads

Veteran
Agreed, I gave them each a dose of flowering (15-30-15) fertilizer while i was there. Normally the Osmocote seems to be plenty for the approximately 3 month season. I gave them the same amount of Osmocote as usual even though the root pouches are 10 gallon and the totes they replaced were about 15 gallon so I'm at a loss to explain the deficiency.

Would a natural fertilizer like guano or worm castings break down fast enough to help the plants given they only have 3-4 weeks left?

two heads

Veteran
I can't call this season a failure - I managed to harvest almost 22 oz. off these 5 plants - but it definitely falls into the category of a learning experience. The yield could have been much higher if it weren't for a mysterious nutrient deficiency that hit the plants over the last half of the season.

Everything looked great at the end of July but every visit after that was progressively worse. Since I used the same amount of Osmocote as I have every year for the last 20 years, it took me a while to figure out that the early yellowing leaves were a nutrient issue and not a trait of these strains I had never grown. By then it was almost too late. On September 5 I gave them a dose of flowering fertilizer and when I went back on September 27 it was pretty shocking. Some branches had recovered and some had died off so each plant was a mix of fairly healthy green branches and sad looking brown ones. I cut the dead branches off and returned on October 2 to harvest everything.

This is typical of how they looked on harvest day. This is one of the Critical + 2.0:

picture.php

Fortunately the remaining branches looked better on closer inspection. Here's a bud shot from that plant:

picture.php

I think I've figured out what the problem was. This was the first year I've used Root Pouches, a type of landscape fabric pot. We had a fair bit of rain this summer and I think too much fertilizer leached out of the pot through the fabric. My old Rubbermaid totes had holes in the bottom but otherwise contained water and nutrients quite well. If I had added fertilizer regularly during August and September this year I think everything would have been fine. I'm not used to doing this using Osmocote (which I've only ever had to apply once per season) but it's certainly a lesson learned if I continue with Root Pouches.

I'll post a bunch of bud shots in the next post. The plants looked pretty bad but buds always look good!

two heads

Veteran
Bud shots and a "Farewell to The Swamp"?

Bud shots and a "Farewell to The Swamp"?

I'll have enough bud for the year which is always cause for celebration when you're guerilla gardening but it could have been much better. As I left the swamp at dusk on October 2 I felt a wave of nostalgia. I've had a site in this swamp for at least 15 years and, if Trudeau follows through on his promise to legalize home growing, I may not be back. It felt weird and there's a part of me that thinks I'll be back anyway. Legality won't stop rippers so having a back-up guerilla site will probably always be a good idea. We'll see how I feel next spring when it comes time to venture back into the icy swamp waters.

In the meantime, here are some bud pics, starting with Sweet Tooth:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

And Critical + 2.0:

picture.php

picture.php

Both strains were new to me and I'm quite happy with both of them. The Sweet Tooth is nicely balanced hybrid and reminded me of other balanced hybrid favourites from the past, including Blue Velvet and our own Baby's Breath (still have seeds but haven't grown it for a few years because feminized makes so much sense in the swamp). Of the two strains, Sweet Tooth is better for night time. It's not overly couch-lock but it does leave you mellower than the Critical.

The Critical + 2.0 is a good find. It may be the early sativa I've been looking for for a long time. I've been disappointed by other sativas that were early but lacking potency, Serious Six and Thai Rain come to mind, but this one has good potency and a really great upbeat high. Fantastic as the first smoke of the day and very motivating. Great for making music, riding bikes, cleaning the kitchen - whatever, just do it!

That's it for 2017. A bit of a mixed bag but as long as the bag is full come October, I'm happy. I may or may not be back to this swamp but it will never leave me. Such great memories of guerilla growing. I wonder if legal growing will seem boring by comparison?

bestothebest

Im worried about the future of legalization. It means huge taxes, and saying how many plants you have, copyright suits, etc... Plus there always is that thrill of walking out to a remote location that no one else knows about to see an illegal plant, growing up towards the sky.

gorilla ganja

As any real guerrilla knows, Any harvest is a good harvest.
Well done, despite the losses the buds that finished, finished well.

Your threads have been an inspiration to me and introduced me to the swamps.
I want to thank you for that.

Having seen what you have done with minimal care in a swamp. I look forward to watching you grow some legal monsters under better conditions in your back yard.

Thanks for sharing

Peace GG

two heads

Veteran
Bestofthebest: Yeah, I'll miss that if I give up the swamp. I still love that rush of being somewhere that only I know about. But for most of my ganja smoking years I assumed I wouldn't see legalization in my lifetime. If I can grow four plants at home without fear of getting busted, my beef with society is over and I'm going to enjoy that right.

gorilla ganja: Thanks for sure. I'm honoured. Since back in the overgrow.com days I always figured that was making best use of these forums - to learn and inspire. I'm not sure I'll be growing monsters at home though. There may be a ridiculous height limit of one meter for each plant! I'll have to learn all those training techniques.

Last edited:

OvergrowDaWorld

$$ ALONE $$
Veteran
The yellowing problem was def the root pouches. They were rootbound and the nutrients def leached outa them as the roots from the native plants grew into the pouches or around them and absorbed the nutrients faster than your plants could.

If you do grow there again, (I would!:biggrin:) use 30gln camo grow bags like these:

picture.php

You will grow big, healthy plants, and your nutrients will be safe and sound. Also helps abit with mites and pests that come from the ground. Also helps with moisture control so the medium doesn't get to wet. Glad you got a half way decent harvest this year. Hope to see you again out here next season! :tiphat:

HI i have enjoyed watching your work i have been a guest for a long time now i made an account. i amreally interested in doing a swamp grow this next year. i will have some in grow bags directly in the standing water like yours and a few planted in the ground at the edge of the swamp where the ground is solid but always wet. i have not accomplished anything but i think swamps can be a the ideal spot for guerilla all day sunlight, unlimited water and hardly onyone will venture into a swamp unless its to grow weed like us

i harvested about 600 G from 10 bagseed plants that were in native soil that i just tilled a bit and put some granule ferts and waterd once a week. the soil was sandy otherwise would have been obliged to add areation elements.

have you ever done a huge like 100 gallon swamp grow bag? theory should grow into a very very big plant with a huge amount of root spae combined with the unlimited water and sun and all the other bebfits of a swamp like security from hikers, hunters

Easy7

Veteran
People grow in the swamps in our county. Thing is though, it's a protected wildlife area with state wildlife officers. Bogs in areas of the swamps. The ground feels hallow in those. It's wild!

two heads

Veteran
OvergrowDaWorld, I'm starting to think I won't be back to the swamp. I'm getting excited about the idea of having an indoor grow from November to May and growing some Zamaldelica or Jack Herer or something else I haven't been able to grow outdoors here in Canada. In any event, getting that much Pro-Mix into the swamp is too big of a job. I will be aiming for 20- 30 gallons per plant outdoors at home though.

Welcome HIMALAYAN GANJA, it sounds like you did great with your bagseed garden. You're right, the extra security of a swamp grow is probably the best reason to go that route. Good luck with it. Airplanes will spot big plants in a swamp pretty easily though. Even satellites - when I really zoomed in on my swamp in Google maps I could make out five distinct lighter green blobs where my garden was!

Easy7 I go for urban wasteland swamps, near industrial areas, abandoned rail beds, etc. No worries about Park rangers and no need to explain myself riding around on my mountain bike. It's surprising how closely you're watched if you're a stranger who shows up now and then in a rural area, which is why I stay away from them. Even small urban swamps are wild places though. You're right about the ground feeling hollow. There's hardly any actual soil, just organic matter in varying states of decay. I sometimes wonder how far my foot will sink when I take a step.

Now to enjoy the fruits of my labour and, for the first time, start planning next year's legal ganja garden.

hello sir TWO HEADS. my swamp is also urban. very urban. like i can see it from my living room window. its like literally on the endge of my housing complex!! urban means no rangers, no hunters, and no hikers. hikers do not want to walk around a woodland wsamp thats right next to town and you can hear the traffic on the road. hikers want some more natural settings a little further from town. i have come to the conclusion that the best geurilla site is not somewhere TWO hours drive into the wilderness. an ideal spot is a spot where no human will ever find the need or desire to venture into. so far all my outdoor
geurilla harvest have been in spot litterally right in the middle of civilization, but so well hidden.

hamstring

Veteran
OvergrowDaWorld, I'm starting to think I won't be back to the swamp. I'm getting excited about the idea of having an indoor grow from November to May and growing some Zamaldelica or Jack Herer or something else I haven't been able to grow outdoors here in Canada. In any event, getting that much Pro-Mix into the swamp is too big of a job. I will be aiming for 20- 30 gallons per plant outdoors at home though.

Welcome HIMALAYAN GANJA, it sounds like you did great with your bagseed garden. You're right, the extra security of a swamp grow is probably the best reason to go that route. Good luck with it. Airplanes will spot big plants in a swamp pretty easily though. Even satellites - when I really zoomed in on my swamp in Google maps I could make out five distinct lighter green blobs where my garden was!

Easy7 I go for urban wasteland swamps, near industrial areas, abandoned rail beds, etc. No worries about Park rangers and no need to explain myself riding around on my mountain bike. It's surprising how closely you're watched if you're a stranger who shows up now and then in a rural area, which is why I stay away from them. Even small urban swamps are wild places though. You're right about the ground feeling hollow. There's hardly any actual soil, just organic matter in varying states of decay. I sometimes wonder how far my foot will sink when I take a step.

Now to enjoy the fruits of my labour and, for the first time, start planning next year's legal ganja garden.

Hey 2 heads whats going on this year?

Canada just went legal are putting up a green house or staying indoors? Is the other head coming back home from the west coast :tiphat: