What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Has anyone tried the home test kits for THC and CBD Potency?

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I am running a crop of high CBD (Med Tree Continuum) and I would like to be able to test the resulting flowers and rosin for potency. Both THC and CBD.

There are 3 or 4 test kits available in the common market. I don't know if links to them are allowed so you can google them or I'll post links if a mod says OK.

CB Scientific Test4 kits. Simple. Easy. Provide a basic "high, medium or low" result. Not cheap at $50 for 6 tests but not out of the question.

Grow Buddy... I don't know anything about this. I saw them on eBay. Looks like the same thing as the CB Scientific item.

Cannalytics Supply is another. This one uses Thin Layer Chromatography. Results should be more accurate than the methods above. Initial cost may be a little more but the plates are only about 5 bucks each so after you're set up, a test would only cost about $5.

THC Test Kits dot com is another TLC kit. A little more expensive than the Cannalytics.

Has anyone tried any of these? I don't really have the space to setup a full lab with HPLC or any of the other more accurate methods. So, these offer an alternative.

Just thought I would post and see if anyone had any reviews or comments. Thanks

Ringodoggie

Premium user
ROTFLMAO.... here is one of the reviews from the CB Scientific kits.....

ByLarryowen2on July 20, 2016
Verified Purchase
Everything tested over 20 percent even my lawn.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I created an 8 minute CBD Indicator Test. Accurately weighing samples will give you a visual indicator of which test has the highest CBD. I haven't calibrated it with CBD isolate yet, so no numbers according to color. No mess, no fuss, super simple.

Retail should be around $35-$40 for 6-8 tests. ;) I'm currently in the middle of extricating myself from an interesting situation and haven't the funding to produce it yet.

I'm impressed with it, and that's not easy to do. lol
Save
Save

Ringodoggie

Premium user
It should be pretty simple to duplicate the CB Scientific tests using common household products.

A. What is in the 'pellet'? B. What is the 'solution'?

Answer those 2 and, my guess is there are some common products that could be used to get this type of result.

Everything else I have seen is some type of TLC. The only way to save money there is to buy ground silica and coat your own plates. The plates seem to be the major cost in that type of setup. Buy pre-coated plates and pay about $5 per test or coat your own and cut that to under a buck a test.

So, anyone know what the 2 chemicals are in the CB scientific test kits?

@DC. Cool. Let us know when you're ready.

Douglas.Curtis

@DC. Cool. Let us know when you're ready.
Will do. ;)
Blue Dream with zero CBD tests at zero CBD. No Purple.
picture.php

Canna-Tsu high CBD cut tests high in CBD at week 7. Lots of purple.
picture.php

Somewhere around here I have a photo of a Canna-Tsu sample from vegging plant. Very slight purple (I've repeated tests with each sample type and the results have been very consistent). So yeah, as long as the sample size is weighed out accurately for each sample, you'll get a color variation according to CBD content. 8 minutes for "Is there CBD" and only a few minutes more for maximum color change.
Cool stuff. :tiphat:
Save
Save

Douglas.Curtis

8-Minute, DIY, Home Test for CBD!
Though I really need funding for personal reasons, the community needs this information even more. Here's what I found, it works awesome, it's cheap as hell, spread the information everywhere.

I've broken it down to super simple steps. You're going to love it! :D
Save