What's new

What's The Right Seed for Beginners?

DaDank

Friends-
I am considering my 1st indoor (basement) hydroponic grow. As part of my steps in this direction, there is the question of seeds. It seems that the higher the THC level, the greater the growing difficulty rating for the plant (at least according to amsterdammarijuanaseeds.com). Hmmm...
I would like to go for the most mind-numbing variety available. "Swing for the fences", of stone if you will. But, as a rookie, perhaps I should start with lower-octane, less expensive varieties to get a feel for things. How does experience come into play?
What would make, say, White Widow beyond the reach of an average guy who's just getting started?
Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks :wave:

Q*Bert

Swing for the fences is what I say. You are going to be learning this as you go so who is to say one will be harder than the other. Not tomention, the better strain will be more rewarding in the end. What you will realize is as you learn, some things will apply universally, PH is one, but feedings and nute strength will vary depending on your plants strain and size, and this is a big part of the learning curve. As long as you keep attentive to your garden and use this site when you need help, you will end up with something worth smoking. Definitely do some reading before you start spending.
Just my .02
Q

G

Hi dadank, congrats on doing your first grow. Personally, I would shoot for something that can take alot of abuse. I'm not talking cheap genetics either. The more quality the seed, the better grow you will have. I learned this from experience many years ago. Are you looking for a indica or sativa? or something in between? What kind of flavor are you looking for? What is your setup going to consist of? A lot of questions yes, but the answers will help to find a strain that best suites your needs.

M

Mr. Nevermind

For a 1st grow you are best of worrking with bagseed. Since you dont know that much yet about growing it will be a good wa to learn and if you mess up ( we all do in the begining) you didnt waste over $100 on beans. Best to get a grow under your belt before you start throwing $$ around on beans. That or try some beans from Gyspy for $15. But with a basement , hydro and your first grow there sounds like alot of things that can go wrong easy. Best to pop some bagseed and get a book and read while they grow. Learn , grow a bit then get some good genes. Gotta crawl before you walk

Nevermind

Creeptic

i grew nirvana's white widow my first grow... had a successful harvest... and didnt feel as much pressure because the seeds were inexpensive... i mean worrying about screwing up $15 seeds is alot less pressure then messing up $150 seeds

in the end i was happy with the buds i got from the cheaper seeds... and i learned alot... the second grow i went for the "quality" genetics and spent $150 on seeds (Sour Diesel IBL)... i was VERY happy with these.... but im glad i didnt attempt them on my first grow...

id say go with something like a mandala strain... they are cheap in price and high in quality... if it matters to you, they just got a write up in High Times for their Hashberry

maybe im wrong... but i dont think those THC level ratings really mean much in the end...

id also say go with something that is more on the indica side of things with a shorter flowering time... the longer you have to keep the plants alive, the more problems you can run into (or create)

you are probably better off spending more money on grow materials (nutes, ventilation, odor control, lights, cab, etc) then spending the money on seeds for your first grow

take all that with a grain of salt... i did my first 2 grows last year... and i just started my 3rd grow a few weeks ago... the best thing you can do as a noob is read, read, read

good luck

Core

Quality Control Controller
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i would't swing that fence 2 hard if i were you...it is like you woz thinking....better learn the plantcycle on a easy strain.....man white widow or NL are the best genetics for starters.....

DaDank

WOW!

WOW!

"Holy prompt replies, Batman!"
Thank you everyone for the input. I think I will lower my sights on the first go-round. Less risk of buyer's regret. Now that I have your attention, is hydroponic measurably more challenging than soil for a starter noobie?
And, are indicas or sativas more suited to the indoor scenario?
Again, the input from y'all veteran growers is appreciated. And I am doing my required reading - Jorge Cervantes "Growers Bible". Any other recommended reading?

G

Bagseed. Many famous varieties have come from bagseed. Some of the best plants I've ever grown came from bagseed, but I was too stupid to take clones at the time, and have been looking for something like them ever since.

bagseed works but i found that if u spend 20 bux u can get some mandala seeds or nirvana seeds and both are way way better than regular bagseed. so its up to u.

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
Mr Nevermind and Strainwhore are correct, bagseed is the seed for newbies.

People seem to forget that all the strains we have now started as someone's bagseed.

The only reason it looks like crap in the bag is because it wasn't cared for after harvest. The hottest chick in the world would look pretty shitty if you crammed her into a car tire for a few thousand miles.

Grab some seed outta the best bag you can get your hands on, and go to town.

Welcome to IC! :wave:

G

Depends where you live, I am in Norcal, my first bagseed grow blew away all my Nirvana purchases. We are blessed here with good herb.

lucky for you to have high quality bagseed around. most of my bagseed gros was way better than the bag i got it from but some had a tendency to be more sativa and take a long ass time to finish flowering and some hermied and had seeds. so far with my nirvana gros i had 2 hitter quitter crystally chronic nugs every plant and even a purple pheno of k2 and only 1 seed out of just the purple k2.. and also they werew indica and finished in 60 days like stated instead of like 80 days for sativa bagseed. but i am not knocking it i started on bagseed myself. just my opinion that i would of paid the 20 bux for soem quality seeds instead if i knew what i knew now. also out of 7 plants (3 bubblicious and 3 k2 and 1 mmm) I got 5 females!!!! only one male bubblicious and 1 male gypsys magikal mix.

tngreen

Veteran
DaDank said:
"Holy prompt replies, Batman!"
Thank you everyone for the input. I think I will lower my sights on the first go-round. Less risk of buyer's regret. Now that I have your attention, is hydroponic measurably more challenging than soil for a starter noobie?
And, are indicas or sativas more suited to the indoor scenario?
Again, the input from y'all veteran growers is appreciated. And I am doing my required reading - Jorge Cervantes "Growers Bible". Any other recommended reading?

no hydro is not any harder. i started with hydro and am on my second grow which is going beautifully! never saw any reason to grow in soil over hydro so i went that route from the get go. indicas and sativas can be grown indoor, indica just requires less training. my first was bagseed and was glad i went that route although they look slightly longer cause they were more sativa. now i have some killa genetics and dont worry bout messin em up :woohoo:

Last edited:

Q*Bert

My point is, with bagseed, you are rolling the dice on the final outcome and who is to say that what you get to grow the first time around will not be any easier or harder to grow than something known. In the end, with a perfect or even a non-perfect first time grow, what you get to smoke is only going to be as rewarding as what you started with. Good beans will make you want to keep going, if the end result is 4-6 months worth of work for less than quality product, it makes it harder to keep the motivation to keep on growing.
All the best,
Q

shifty

my 2 cents....

I think bagseed is a great way to go if you're confident that the seeds are viable. With that being said, I'll reiterate what's been discussed here, go for a reliable yet relatively cheap seed like nirvana strains. I tried Blue Mystic, Cali O (both excellent for getting your feet wet with cloning, and Powerplant. Peak Seeds Northern Berry is also excellent for newbies and very mold resistant (something to consider for a basement grow). I don't know if your grow environment is susceptible to large temp fluctuatiuons, but the Northern Berry worked best for me as far as vigor, bud charcteristics (not airy), mold resistance and finishing time (7-8 weeks). A good basic strain, like NL, Skunk #1, afghani or a combo of any of the basic strains will help you learn a lot about growing indoors. The aforementioned strains of good quality are pretty much the standard for witch you should judge all weed because most of the killer expensive strains have their genetics tied to these strains in one fashion or another. Stay away from anything that will grow optimally outdoors (Sativa/ Sativa dominant), unless the breeder gives a specific recommendation for indoor growing. Good luck, have fun and keep checking out this site...you'll find a lot of good info here!

Last edited:
G

Im doing my first grow with bagseed. Its gone well enough that I wish I had went with something better, Had it gone bad i would be glad I hadnt used expensive seeds

Im also pretty sure that was of no help.

Last edited:

smokeymacpot

Veteran
i found nirvana superskunk quite nice, i didnt get many females, but the plant grows nicely. it should be pretty strong as well.
if you dont fancy trying it, just get something more indica than sativa (superskunk is very indica btw). i cant think what others you might want to choose, just have a look and see what takes your fancy :)

HAPPYTREE

hows it da dank. This is my first grow also and am growing hydro, its your choice when it comes to the beans i went with nirvana 30$ 10 seeds, plants are growing like crazy bitches isay do what you like. about hydro and room design heres my advice of what ive learnd as iam going along. workout the venting and coolong of the lights as i think this is greatly overlooked when thinking about growing (big frosty buds). finish the grow space and run it for a couple of days with all equipment running as dry run . ???what are the temps, humidity, is it wventilated well enough. with hydro make sure you understand the ph,what the local water ppm is , and do yiou have access to clean ro water,and do you have time to monitor the water and control water temps.make sure you dont put to many plant in the space.

these are all issues ive encountered and couldve taken careof , if i would have done a dry run and used a little more patience( iwas thinking big frosty buds) now the space is loaded with plant material(good thing) but makes any modifications to the space pain in the ass.

hope this helps good luck