in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Indoor Grows - Soil > Cloning with JJScorpio

Thread Title Search
Click for great deals at MB Ferts
Cloning with JJScorpio Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-10-2007, 11:54 PM #11
pipeline
Cannabotanist

pipeline has much to be proud ofpipeline has much to be proud ofpipeline has much to be proud ofpipeline has much to be proud ofpipeline has much to be proud ofpipeline has much to be proud ofpipeline has much to be proud ofpipeline has much to be proud ofpipeline has much to be proud ofpipeline has much to be proud ofpipeline has much to be proud of
Yeah I guess that makes sense, fertilizing without supplimenting N for a week, decreasing vigor of shoot growth, and promoting root growth. Definately want to make sure the plant was in good nutrition before hand though.
pipeline is offline Quote

Old 01-11-2007, 09:39 AM #12
Littlegreentree

Littlegreentree is on a distinguished road
I have one quick question, is it okay to use the rapid rooters out of the tray? Say right in the bottom of a small rubbermaid with the top off and some ceran wrap over the top to act as a dome or would it be best to surround the plugs in some sort of peatmoss or perlite mix also with the ghetto dome??
Littlegreentree is offline Quote

Old 01-11-2007, 09:53 AM #13
Truth
Wise One

Truth will become famous soon enoughTruth will become famous soon enoughTruth will become famous soon enough
"That does make sense, but actually it is not true. I read many articles and it has been found that excess nitrogen actually retards root growth"

doesn't seem correct to me, if nitrogen retards root growth, then why would we need it in large amounts during veg? and the roots grow less in flowering than they do in veg..and bloom nutes are very low in nitrogen. I actually leave all the leafs I can since they suck nutrients out of these leafs and you can have a few die on you without having serious problems. Your method only shows little clones...what about large clones? I doubt you would want to cut most of the leafs off of a large clone...and finally.. The more leafs the plant has the more light it can process therefore the more energy it can make that can also go into rooting.

You say it takes 10-14 days for your clones to root..I can do without cutting the leafs off and with a good amount of nitrogen in them, and they will root within 7-14 days. doesn't seem like much of a difference is made. As long as they aren't over fed (deep dark green/blackish/purplish leafs [minus genetic traits]) then it should be fine.

Last edited by Truth; 01-11-2007 at 09:57 AM..
Truth is offline Quote

Old 01-11-2007, 06:47 PM #14
JJScorpio
Thunderstruck

JJScorpio has a brilliant futureJJScorpio has a brilliant futureJJScorpio has a brilliant futureJJScorpio has a brilliant futureJJScorpio has a brilliant futureJJScorpio has a brilliant futureJJScorpio has a brilliant futureJJScorpio has a brilliant futureJJScorpio has a brilliant futureJJScorpio has a brilliant futureJJScorpio has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlegreentree
I have one quick question, is it okay to use the rapid rooters out of the tray? Say right in the bottom of a small rubbermaid with the top off and some ceran wrap over the top to act as a dome or would it be best to surround the plugs in some sort of peatmoss or perlite mix also with the ghetto dome??
You could try a rubbermaid, as long as you had a way to keep the RR upright, and kept them hydrated. With the dome, you have a tray beneath it with water in it, that helps keep things humid. I bought the tray, holder and cover for $9.99.

Surrounding them in moss or perlite would keep the light off the roots when they were exposed. You could give it a try, and see how it works.

Old 01-11-2007, 06:49 PM #15
pipeline
Cannabotanist

pipeline has much to be proud ofpipeline has much to be proud ofpipeline has much to be proud ofpipeline has much to be proud ofpipeline has much to be proud ofpipeline has much to be proud ofpipeline has much to be proud ofpipeline has much to be proud ofpipeline has much to be proud ofpipeline has much to be proud ofpipeline has much to be proud of
Leaving the large leaves can lead to the clones moisture stress faster than if they are cut off or in half. The cutting contains more than enough nutrents/energy in the stem and leaves to create roots. But if there is too much leaf area evaporating water, the water status of the clone will go down and it will lower rooting success.
pipeline is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:56 PM #16

here is what marijuana botony says...

High nitrogen content cuttings seem to root more poorly than cuttings with med to low nitrogen. therefore , younng, rapidly-growing stems of high nitrogen and low carbohydrate content root less well than slightly older cuttings...

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:59 PM #17
JJScorpio
Thunderstruck

JJScorpio has a brilliant futureJJScorpio has a brilliant futureJJScorpio has a brilliant futureJJScorpio has a brilliant futureJJScorpio has a brilliant futureJJScorpio has a brilliant futureJJScorpio has a brilliant futureJJScorpio has a brilliant futureJJScorpio has a brilliant futureJJScorpio has a brilliant futureJJScorpio has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth
"That does make sense, but actually it is not true. I read many articles and it has been found that excess nitrogen actually retards root growth"

doesn't seem correct to me, if nitrogen retards root growth, then why would we need it in large amounts during veg? and the roots grow less in flowering than they do in veg..and bloom nutes are very low in nitrogen. I actually leave all the leafs I can since they suck nutrients out of these leafs and you can have a few die on you without having serious problems. Your method only shows little clones...what about large clones? I doubt you would want to cut most of the leafs off of a large clone...and finally.. The more leafs the plant has the more light it can process therefore the more energy it can make that can also go into rooting.

You say it takes 10-14 days for your clones to root..I can do without cutting the leafs off and with a good amount of nitrogen in them, and they will root within 7-14 days. doesn't seem like much of a difference is made. As long as they aren't over fed (deep dark green/blackish/purplish leafs [minus genetic traits]) then it should be fine.
You answered your own question regarding the nitrogen. Nitrogen if for green growth.

You could very well be getting roots in 7 days, but some plants will take up to 3 weeks or more to root. The purpose of this thread is to help people that have never cloned, or are having problems cloning. I don't want people getting frustrated and think they have done something wrong, because they don't have roots in 7 days, because that isn't the norm. What ever way works for you is fine. This thread isn't about whose way is better, or faster, it is to help people with their cloning.

5 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:01 PM #18

Great thread JJ..

I use whatever I have peet pucks/rapids/soil.. I find little differance, as long as you use a heat mat to keep those temps up..

Have any of you use the new Clonex Matrix gel/soil for cloning?
I just saw it on ebay from UK, but can't seem to find any in the states..

Old 01-11-2007, 07:08 PM #19
JJScorpio
Thunderstruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by budleydoright
here is what marijuana botony says...

High nitrogen content cuttings seem to root more poorly than cuttings with med to low nitrogen. therefore , younng, rapidly-growing stems of high nitrogen and low carbohydrate content root less well than slightly older cuttings...
I found the same from my research. That is why I wait a week from the last nitrogen feeding. I am not sure exactly how much "faster" the nitrogen-less cuttings rooted though. But if Scientists say it, they know more then I do, lol.

Old 01-11-2007, 07:12 PM #20
JJScorpio
Thunderstruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoned Silly
Great thread JJ..

I use whatever I have peet pucks/rapids/soil.. I find little differance, as long as you use a heat mat to keep those temps up..

Have any of you use the new Clonex Matrix gel/soil for cloning?
I just saw it on ebay from UK, but can't seem to find any in the states..
I have a friend that tried it, and he didn't rave about it, lol. I think it boils down to the proper, heat, moisture and light. I could probably bring the temps up some and get cuttings to root faster, but then you up your chances of bacteria killing them.