What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Different grow styles discussion and opinions

I

izzypog

So, I have been growing for almost four years, I have developed my way of doing my grows. For the most part I am advocating less nutes, better grows, so far it works for me, how about you?

gardener60

Well the way that I look at it is growing should be your way. We can always use advice but trying to grow like someone else and using their recipes don't always work out. I feel there are too many variables to deal with. Once you find out what you niche is then you are on your way. I can grow the hell out of some vegetables but cannabis is kind of foreign to me. I am trying to find a way to go strictly organic and possibly save money on nutes. This is just my 2 cents.

Drop That Sound

I never really grow the same way, every grow is different. I tend to change it up more than most, although I do have my own style about it. I am always blowing money on things I really shouldn't need to, but then again it is more of a hobby in my eyes. Actually I spend more time trying to figure out how to have small scale luxury grow equipment, by building it all DIY from parts I scrounge up.

It's fun to grow multiple style's (aero/hydro/soil-less/soil) sometimes all at once, and keeps my over active mind busy. I like the challenge and the new skills I learn all the time. And I design equipment/systems that no one has seen before. A lot of the stuff I come up with I could probably patent, so I try not to show it all off too much, because someone else will. Mostly I like to give new idea's to the community though.

Growing legally in my state is kinda important to me, so growing monster plants now while keeping to my limit (without registering) eases the mind. My ex likes to send welfare checks, even though the cops are tired of her BS, and always leave empty handed.. and probably will never show up again at this point lol. I swear they red flag/inform the DEA anyway and helicopters buzz over my place still, because she said I have some large operation that doesn't and won't ever exist.

I've gone from 100's of different bottles of nutes\supps, being mostly free\samples from my good buddy at the grow store, to simply using Jack's hydro because he moved away and I have to spend money now. 1 time purchase of the 25lb bags, both cal-nit and 5-12-26, should last me into the next decade :)

I also got into raising chickens this last year, and building custom fully automated mobile coops on wheels (that even have NFT hydro lettuce growing systems on the roof), so I been kinda busy with that too. Backyard chicken's are taking over the country like crazy. Same with Tiny Houses on wheels. So i'm designing coops crossed with greenhouses, where you can get your eggs/meat/and veggies all in one. Possibly even brew the chicken shit into tea to grow the lettuce with.

I been growing for awhile, but always something new to try.

I

izzypog

Awesome , great ideas all, sea of green is a great concept and I may try that one day, justsumtomatoes and gardner60 thanks for that subject. Drop that sound and gardner60, very true, YOUR style of growing is just that, YOURS. If anything I was just throwing out ideas to get the topic rolling, sea of green or what nutes you use, all of it is what this topic is about. Lately I have been reading about do it yourself SIPS, or self irrigating pots. To me this sounds like a great idea that borders on hydro, well, maybe has some similarities. So far cloning techniques and propagation is my thing, I am about to start making my own feminized seeds, a lot of threads on this, I grow indoor and use LEDS, which I am going to build my own as well. I have not done any grow journals yet as I am new here, yet, I want to trade ideas, with no bias, ambitous I know. Still put your thoughts out there and help your brothers and sisters out, it is not a pagent or who is top dog, it is helping people out that share the same goal of legalizing and growing. Everyone please enjoy.

mexweed

Veteran
the first bud I ever grew was in ocean forest with botanicare sample pack pure blend pro grow, pro bloom, and liquid karma

I eventually tried all perlite hempy with botanicare original cns17 grow and bloom, out performed the previous soil runs in density and perceived potency, tried some fox farms nutes for the hempy when the original cns17 two part was discontinued and it ended up a mess

went back to soil with some local bottled fish stuff grow and bloom, with terpinator and zeus juice, but zeus juice has a terrible shelf life and I was using way more of the bloom than the grow

now I just mix some bio live into buffaloam soil, top dress and aerate worm castings and a couple buffaloam products, I spoil the plants with some microbes and advanced nutrients mother earth during heavy flowering, dirt md fulvic/humic supplement every two weeks starting in late veg

insomniac_AU

Well the way that I look at it is growing should be your way. We can always use advice but trying to grow like someone else and using their recipes don't always work out. I feel there are too many variables to deal with. Once you find out what you niche is then you are on your way. I can grow the hell out of some vegetables but cannabis is kind of foreign to me. I am trying to find a way to go strictly organic and possibly save money on nutes. This is just my 2 cents.
I agree. One of the biggest determining factors is the location you have to grow in. I grow in a bedroom in my house so the options I have are different from someone who has a purpose built grow facility. As long as the plants get the right environment to grow in and nutrition there really is no right or wrong way.

I

izzypog

@insominiac_AU , this is a more comparing notes idea, hearing about how everyone does their grow, and how much variance from each grower. Sure there is a lot of factors on a grow, region and climate, indoor or outdoor. What I am asking is simple, how do you do it, what is your style of plant growing kung-fu?

I

izzypog

@mexweed, still use soil and love using ffof, I will not use any other soil. I have heard from some of the older guys that fish emulsions is some powerful stuff you can use throughout the grow.

gardener60

Izzypog I don't have to read between the lines to see where you are coming from. I am a big fan of SIP that is the way i grow my tomatoes, peppers and eggplant outdoors. I grow my medicine indoors in a 2x5 space things can get crowded fast. One might say then why SOG, because of the technique. I would love some info on the subject, and what i find i will pass on to others.

I

izzypog

gwe is a great site for beginners, this site has great info, just takes some time to dig through all the pages to find it.

insomniac_AU

@insominiac_AU , this is a more comparing notes idea, hearing about how everyone does their grow, and how much variance from each grower. Sure there is a lot of factors on a grow, region and climate, indoor or outdoor. What I am asking is simple, how do you do it, what is your style of plant growing kung-fu?
Not trying to influence your thread in any way mate. I was just agreeing with the statement that what works for someone else may not be ideal for you. I think it's a good topic. For me the important things are stealth, minimal waste and no dirt inside my house. That's why I grow hydroponically in rockwool.

mexweed

Veteran
@mexweed, still use soil and love using ffof, I will not use any other soil. I have heard from some of the older guys that fish emulsions is some powerful stuff you can use throughout the grow.

yeah the grow I was using seemed pretty hot

I have tried happy frog, it's ok but not as many goodies in it as ocean forest

when I was using the local mostly fish nutes I ran nectar for the gods #4 soil, was really good has some different stuff in it feather meal and pumice

buffaloam has two soils their original and loam grown, original is less airy more dense with their bison compost, loam grown has perlite and has more goodies in it

when I first ran hempy I was stoked about how fast the plants were, how dense the buds were getting, very easy to flush, nice potency, but it's easy to get comparable density and yield when organic is dialed in, and the quality in terp expression is unmatched

the less bottled the better, that's why I like to use one thing to spoil the plants with since there are some nice things in jugs, but 90% of bottled stuff is pointless and insufficient so you have to buy too much of the company's product, part a and b for grow and bloom, seedling/roots booster, three different bloom boosters for flip, middle flower, and going into flush...get fucking real https://web.archive.org/web/2018040...u/vista/html_pubs/hydro/getting.html#nutrient

the two buffaloam products I use are their loose tea which is their bison compost, kelp, and fungi to aerate with worm castings, I top dress with soil alive a product that is similar but has some other stuff in it like rock phosphates and yucca that are nice to have build up in the soil, I use the loam grown so it has better drainage for the stuff I dump on top to work down into, nice for the bio live I mix in too, I feed 1 gallon tea/water for 5 gallon pots once a week so I'd say the composition is on point

Last edited:
I

izzypog

@mexweed, I use dyna-gro, or dry nutes like happy frog all purpose, really good stuff, very powerful and inexpensive. I have tried, and do like, FF trio, sadly it is fifty bucks and dyna-gro is half that. Of course, when using dry ferts, remember it takes a month or two to start breaking down. Liquids are better and more exact. I also love my LEDS, meizhi 1200's, they are close to 600 actual watts, a little less actually. I have my grow tent which is a 4X4X7 Ohuhu, it does the job. I think that anything over 600 hundred watts in that size tent would be overkill. If I grow four plants I use three gallon pots, that or if I grow sativas, I use five gallons for two plant grows. I usually add nutes to every other watering, or some plants prefer every third watering. I grow mostly sativas, or sativa dominants, which require very little nutes, except for my sour diesel, it will eat nutes and ask for more, I have hit some high doses with it and have seen incredible growth, almost a half pound of flower for one plant, yes I have a cutting of it.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I use a garden auger on a cordless drill and dig about 400 holes. I drop a cup of amendments in each hole. Seedlings are started under 24/7 for 4 or 5 weeks then they go in the holes. Water crystals are in the amendments and are watered at planting time. Everything needs to be caged or only 20% survive.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
It does not take a long time for powder nutes to break down. Some do but not Jacks 5-12-26 and Calcium Nitrate. If you are looking for a fast acting powder look for a hydroponic nutrient.

I think SOG is a bad idea when you have plant limits. Why would you do that when it is not needed. Below my post is a link to a 13 week scrog. That is 13 weeks from when I started cloning the plants. I yielded almost 20 ounces from a 600 watt bulb with 2-5 days of veg before flowering the plants for a full 10 weeks. This thread also list my nutrients I use and how I use them.

I grow vert with LEDs here is how mine look. The canopy has 3 plants and is about 5.5 feet tall and 7 across the wall and about 12 inches from the wall.

I

izzypog

@ichabod Crane, you are right some dry ferts break down within a month or even less, it really is dependant on what type you are using. Happy frog all purpose breaks down in a month, yet it does leave some residual nutes behind. I have used boones in conjunction with hf and it did not work well as the boones was a 2-12-0, and by the time it started to break down the hf was done. I experiment a lot in order to grow the best, we all do, I just take more risks, I have even had some horrible grows(all my fault), and I have had some horrible genetics, sometimes it is the temps, soil, or even the universe itself, I just learn from it and move on with a better knowledge of what works.