What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Have you Overwatering problems indoors? This helps you

jrelax

Hello

We are different how we grow and water.

Some like water alot
Some hate watering
Some handle this perfekt

If you are that OVERWATER type grower like i was ?
Then try the Fabric Textile Pots / dirt pots
They drain out faster.
They get more air.
You need water them more than normal plastic pots.

Now my grow is perfekt with my new fabric textile pots.
I have plants in them about one week now, i water twice.
And the top was dry and nice today, first time for me
They work good
if you like water extra.

The only negative things is you need hand wash them after you harvest, clean up them a little., Dont do it in washingmachine please. Handwash only, the machine can get destroyed, and machine wash long time.
What i read is quick handwash with simple water only.

they last 3-5 times only, if you want them work 100% i have read. dont wash and re-use them more than 3-5 times

Also buy good brand to get all the benefits 100%

There is alot benefits
better drainage
more air to roots
no rootbound/rot
bigger healthier rootsystems

If you are lazy grower, you dont like watering?, stay to normal plastic then is my advice :)

They are named as DIRT POTS also

gronest-pouch-25l-pflanztopf.jpg

plant-t-dirt-pots-812-p.jpg

Dirt-Pot.jpg

They are awaible in different sizes
There is round and square/cube

You find them everywhere , like ebay, amazon, growshops

Try Google DIRT POTS and read a bit
good luck all

Last edited:

Magnificat

It's funny you bring this very topic up. I used to be a classic over water-er. I could never properly judge the containers and so i chose hydro over soil for the longest time.

But alas, I have learned how to judge properly and now my nephew who is also growing using my formulas and guidelines is also over watering or having some issues again caused by his initial transplant and over watering.

And yes, we both use the air pots, or cloth fabric 5 gallon bags. I love them.

MrBungle

I've been using the same dirty smart pots for 10+ years.... washing them is not necessary, but if you want to have at it..... They last a very long time even outdoors....

Magnificat

And as for the results! Just look for yourself, these are 5 gallon pots but should yield 2.5-3Z per plant.. :)

Attachments

• pics40.jpg
    pics40.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 19

gardener60

All i do is stick my whole finger in the soil, get down in there and feel. You will know when to water or feed. Just my 2 cents.

R

Rab.C

great post i was told by my local hydro shop smart pots and airpots are great for over watering problems...

Last edited:

moonymonkey

some peeps have taken over watered plants and replanted them to dry soil...only watered wen plant show it needed it first time after transplant. moonmart :dance013:

Unk_OG

Bandaids

Bandaids

Look I’m not trying to be a d!¢k but, wouldn’t it be best to really try and get a handle on the over watering issue? Smart pots and the like are great for roots. Roots. Seems like looking for a pot that will fix not “knowing” your pots is just kind of a band-aid. I’ve been doin this 3 years now and I can grow some really nice bud, last run finally hit a pound+ under one 1000 water. I have tons more to learn. Most folks seem to start off with plastic pots. It’s part of the basics, I feel at least. There won’t be a quick fix for everything.

As far as recommending “lazy” growers should use plastic pots, well that’s a silly statement. My room is pretty dialed in/stable as far temps/humidity. My plastic 5 gallon pots are so light every other day they need a gallon and a half to keep them from tipping over.

Think of it like this: Do you want pricey nutrients you paid good money for just evaporating into the air to make up for the fact that you are giving them too much in the first place, or because the plants ate that shit! Let that sink in for a minute. Good luck to ya.

Last edited:

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
They are great pots but, there design was never intended to stave off over watering! Nutrients evaporating? That's a good one :)

Sunshineinabag

Hello

We are different how we grow and water.

Some like water alot
Some hate watering
Some handle this perfekt

If you are that OVERWATER type grower like i was ?
Then try the Fabric Textile Pots / dirt pots
They drain out faster.
They get more air.
You need water them more than normal plastic pots.

Now my grow is perfekt with my new fabric textile pots.
I have plants in them about one week now, i water twice.
And the top was dry and nice today, first time for me
They work good
if you like water extra.

The only negative things is you need hand wash them after you harvest, clean up them a little., Dont do it in washingmachine please. Handwash only, the machine can get destroyed, and machine wash long time.
What i read is quick handwash with simple water only.

they last 3-5 times only, if you want them work 100% i have read. dont wash and re-use them more than 3-5 times

Also buy good brand to get all the benefits 100%

There is alot benefits
better drainage
more air to roots
no rootbound/rot
bigger healthier rootsystems

If you are lazy grower, you dont like watering?, stay to normal plastic then is my advice :)

They are named as DIRT POTS also

View Image

View Image

View Image
They are awaible in different sizes
There is round and square/cube

You find them everywhere , like ebay, amazon, growshops

Try Google DIRT POTS and read a bit
good luck all

Or use burlap, same same

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Top dress with about 1-2 inches of NAPA floor dry. When it is dry it is bone white and when it is wet it is a tanish grey color. If your plant likes it to be dryer when you water dont water till it is all white, If your plant likes it wetter dont water till it has small patches that are just turning white.

Dont use regular floor dry it is made of clay. The NAPA floor dry is made of diatomaceous Earth. And as a side benefit it kills insects. Just dont breath the dust it is bad on your lungs. Poke a hole in the bag and pour water into the bag before you put it on your plants. If you just dump it out of the bag it will kick up a bunch of dust unless you wet it down first. Once it is in your pot and you water it is does not kick up dust.

Unk_OG

Or......

Or......

Or use burlap, same same
Again, learn how to water a plant in a plastic pot.

I know the OP got banned but this is still the dumbest thread. Everyone should be able to water a plant correctly.

Watch for soil pulling away from the side of the pot. Pick them up to feel the weight so you know how it feels when full. Watch the bottom most leaves for droop. This is easy stuff and growing isn’t always easy. If you can’t master this, you’re going to have more problems down the road.

What are you going to do when you want your buds to be bigger? Get a magnifying glass?

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
What are you going to do when you want your buds to be bigger? Get a magnifying glass?
:laughing: Good one :laughing:

Although we shouldn't have our plants on a schedule. e.g look after their needs vice "our" conveniences and, you got it licked. I like the W D D F D D W schedule. You guest it! It's convenient :) That being said... I weigh my pots and will diminish the amount I water/feed (qty) depending on the plant. I had this happen to my Dt last grow. She wanted 1/4l less than the others, who where taking 1.5l (3gal pots) The cut back might seem sort of insignificant but... The plant was ready for watering half way through a cycle. Too dry to wait for the next day, still a tad on the "too moist" side to water at the same time as the others. That was half way through flower. Listen to your plants, they speak volumes :biggrin:

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Plants tell me when to water, making a schedule for them is a waste of time. If you let them dry or Saturday them, the time they spend too wet or too dry is all time they take away from adding flower weight and quality.

Watch your plants and water accordingly. It just takes some practice, patience, and mostly observation.

As for watering plants in soil I water feed water feed water feed etc.

Unk_OG

Schedules

Schedules

Plants tell me when to water, making a schedule for them is a waste of time. If you let them dry or Saturday them, the time they spend too wet or too dry is all time they take away from adding flower weight and quality.

Watch your plants and water accordingly. It just takes some practice, patience, and mostly observation.

As for watering plants in soil I water feed water feed water feed etc.

Exactly. Learn to know what the plant/pot are telling you. Just checked my flower room. It’s -7° here today. Room usually stays around 75° lights off. Room got down to 56° last night! Heater in there tonight. Now, normally my run of bubbas would have needed to be feed today, that’s the schedule they put themselves on. They tend to eat a lot during lights off. Well, not last night! After checking the lights off temps, I started lifting pots. They still have weight and I expected they would, because I know my plants/pot/room. They won’t get fed today, they don’t need it. That’s what needs to be learned.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Been using/reusing nursery buckets for 40 years. Like others said, plant will tell you what it needs. In fact, we'll drill a few extra holes in the bottom and 3" from bottom for aeration and draining water.

We water when the top medium is dry 1.5". Nary a problem.