What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

630w CMH DOUBLE-ENDED BULBS - who makes the *best*?

White Beard

[sound of a needle scratching vinyl]

So, refocus, new thread title: 630w CMH is a thing, and probably not going away. As I see it, there are points against each of the two form factors, and there are serious growers who’ve used and are using both(?).

Who runs which, and what do you think of them, what if anything drove your choice? What do y’all see as the shortcomings of the two.

As before, I’m planning my first growroom, and at this point, the price point on DE units is ridiculously cheap in some quarters, so trying to sift through all the data cramming I’ve been doing.

So, the voices of the more experienced are welcome, with thanks!

:tiphat:

Last edited:

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
One of the cmh thread had described them as a frankenbulb that actually makes no sense and was just designed to essentially create a new product. I bought 4 of the growers choice a few year ago. Before reading that they (growers choice) sometime catch fire. Only one of mine got scorched. No actual flames. At least not when I was in the room. I think I still have the other 3 in a box somewhere. Barely used.

White Beard

Yeah, I read about Hammerhead’s experience in Rives’ thread, and I remember the frankenbulb side-bit.

Same could be said of all CMH 630w configurations, I suppose...so maybe my question is wrong. Maybe the question should be double-end vs double-bulb? I could fix that...done.

Hope you don’t mind me refocusing the topic while you’re in it....

Last edited:

maryjane481

I just finished a 4 plant run of Sour Bubble in a 4.5’ x 4.5’ tent with a 630w de and ballast from Ceramic Solutions. Pulled 9.5 oz.dry wt. It’s my first run using only CMH.
In the past I would flower with 600w 4K MH for the first 3 weeks and finish with 600 HPS.
I found the yield to be about the same, depending on the size of the plants at the beginning of flower. The difference was more resin production.
The 630w de from ceramic solutions worked great.

Last edited:

White Beard

Ceramic Solutions is selling a pretty compelling unit for $270. A 630 would give you something less than 40w/sqft. but respectable yields as you note.

Twin-lamp units are ~$200, what made the difference for you?

maryjane481

Hi WB, I don't use two lamp fixtures because they incorporate two ballasts....they are heavy and bulky. I'm currently using a ajustawing with a spreader. The ballast from CERAMIC Solutions can drive two 315w bulbs if I choose to do so.

White Beard

As this has developed, I find my biggest reluctance to go double-ended is that the choice would rule out Philips bulbs.

maryjane481

I find that the difference in quality and quantity is more about your gardening skills than the type of bulb you use. I can’t tell the difference between the high from a CMH bud or a HPS bud. Stay within your budget and don’t buy what you don’t need.

Latest posts

Latest posts