What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

radio control, do you do it?

Skunky Dunk

Howdy to everyone,
Thought I'd ask if anyone has interest in radio control contraptions?
I have experimented with them from time to time since the late 70's.
Much, much has changed for certain. My latest interest has been with 1/10 the scale rock crawlers.
It is a fairly technical vehicle to drive and be competitive, though for fun it is real fun.
The "Scalers" themselves are in a class of their own and can be very detailed.
Anyhow, thought I'd through this out.
Dunk:moon:

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
No. But I did order a miniature red bong (nonfunctional) to add to my collection of cannabis junk and knick knacks
It was supposed to be for those 1/10th scale rock climbers you speak of.

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
Back in the early 90's I played with RC cars, then RC off road trucks.

by the early 2000's I was playing with RC power boats

Having not spent quite enough money, I then moved to RC helicopters for about 10 years and vaporized a large amount of disposable income before my eyesight got bad enough that I couldn't see well enough to work on all those tiny little parts to fix my destruction.

Last couple years I've been playing around with cheap (under $200) drones and quadcopters. Fortunately now I'm old enough and wise enough now to stay away from the high dollar stuff :biggrin:

Can't say I didn't enjoy it, but if it goes fast, or in the air or on the water, chances are you will spend more time and money fixing stuff than actually using it.

Gotta love the newer battery technology though, those old NiCad packs were shit by comparison.

707OGBUSH970

Hahahahaha....aint that the truth. I think you dont spent a tenth of time using it as you do fixing it, at least I don't, thats for sure.

Swamp Thang

Veteran
Hey Skunky Dunk, I love RC toys, especially those that get airborne. Drone technology is advancing by leaps and bounds, while the prices of quadcopters and such are getting very affordable, thanks to the Chinese who flood the market with such devices.

I have had a lot of fun with the Hero XQ5 V626 quadcopter that sells for just $60 online, even though the resolution of its video camera is nowhere near that of more expensive drones such as the DJI Phantom range that can cost up to a grand. That said, I do plan to buy a DJI Mavic at some point, when I can afford the hefty price tag for an auto-pilot drone

The Hero XQ5 flies up to 500 feet AGL, and does not glitch at all, unlike a few other models in the same price range that I tried. Here is a sample of the sort of low resolution picture I extract from the videos I take from up high. Somewhere in this frame, is my grow spot ha ha.

Night flying this quad is even easier at high altitude, because it has lights that make orientation much easier than during the day. On a moonlit night this bird looks like a UFO, and nothing beats flying whilst buzzed, which literally makes my spirit soar.

Attachments

• Flying High Hero XQ5 V626.jpg
    Flying High Hero XQ5 V626.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've dabbled in RC since the late 80s when my dad bought and races RC cars at the local dirt track.
I've had a few RC ground machines but never a flyer until I picked up a drone. talk about fun!

big315smooth

mama tried
Veteran
still got rc10 goldpan-traxxas stampede-duratrax evader from younger days.can fly planes to crashed last one full speed into a silo accident depth perception was a factor. gonna buy new one get fpv goggles

slacker

I use ti be heavily into rc gliders but got total burned out on the repairs . All in all the hand launch gliders was the funnest and you just fling it, fly it around and they're so light that the crashes aren't overwhelming to repair.