What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Tangwena

Veteran
I already started a second batch :biggrin: .
Problem is i'm away for the weekend and not sure if the second batch is enough dry for the reseal when i have to leave. Is it possible to freeze it and dry when i'm back sunday?

The look of the first batch is nice

View attachment 18851653
Hombre is spot on my friend dry it and re seal it from here its straight to aging.
Personally I would have stopped at the first 3 to 4 hours 6 being the max.
That would keep the terps more intact but thats all, the rest is looking good so far.
Try the next batch for a shorter sweat that way you can compare the results down the track.

As Hombre so rightly pointed out after sweating things slow down even a week away would probably be ok as long as it is sealed.
Its quite normal for it to appear less terpy after sweating but once dried a little and resealed for a week they will return just more funky.
Also dont freeze it or fridge it, it will stop fermentation dead.

Last edited:

chilliwilli

Waterboy
If your only away for a few days, seal it you before you go and when you come back just unseal and let it dry some more (if needed).
Hombre is spot on my friend dry it and re seal it from here its straight to aging.
Personally I would have stopped at the first 3 to 4 hours 6 being the max.
That would keep the terps more intact but thats all, the rest is looking good so far.
Try the next batch for a shorter sweat that way you can compare the results down the track.

As Hombre so rightly pointed out after sweating things slow down even a week away would probably be ok as long as it is sealed.
Its quite normal for it to appear less terpy after sweating but once dried a little and resealed for a week they will return just more funky.
Also dont freeze it or fridge it, it will stop fermentation dead.
Thx ic fam
The second batch got only sweated for 2h. After that it was still fuity but had also that fermented smell. I did break it up for drying. In the morning both batches had a leathery surfaces and got resealed. I put them in the sous vid @30°C. I think i can steal me away from my weekendplans for a few hours to check them sa evening(now fr morning)

Could it be that the material was still too moist since the sweating was so short time or is it the very fluffy bud structure?

Tangwena

Veteran
Could it be that the material was still too moist since the sweating was so short time or is it the very fluffy bud structure?
Good question and very observant of you. YES it could be, so make sure it has dried on the surface.
Just keep opening the bags every week and dry the surface gently before re sealing the bags.
Your well on the way to a good cure my friend that bud is awesome for this cure.

chilliwilli

Waterboy
Good question and very observant of you. YES it could be, so make sure it has dried on the surface.
Just keep opening the bags every week and dry the surface gently before re sealing the bags.
Your well on the way to a good cure my friend that bud is awesome for this cure.
Thx i'm following this gem of a thread since u started it.

Pic is @ 30h of 30°C. In the bag there was still a little condensation visible. The fermented smell turned down quite a bit but also the fruityness of the second batch.
The surface feels moist so i will let them outside to dry till tomorrow and then back in the sous vide.

20230610_183638~2.jpg

Thx to every one for the cobtribution to this great thread

ost

Yes thats a lot better dried its cured alright seal them up and age them but still open and dry further if they feel moist inspect regularly say every couple of weeks at least.
every tip or to do, is what i need to know ,no mold to date smells make my mouth water in the back if my mouth!love it ,much love for shareing this with the peps here and i did'nt get here till lately.next cob materal is 6 to 10 weeks out they are growing goood!

Tangwena

Veteran
Thx i'm following this gem of a thread since u started it.

Pic is @ 30h of 30°C. In the bag there was still a little condensation visible. The fermented smell turned down quite a bit but also the fruityness of the second batch.
The surface feels moist so i will let them outside to dry till tomorrow and then back in the sous vide.

View attachment 18852346

Thx to every one for the cobtribution to this great thread
Beautiful color on both dry most of the moisture and reseal to age your going to have some killer smoke brother.

ost

sure wish mine were made that big ,i did'nt have the weight to spare things, are in the midst of changing!
you get to talking and i can'nt stand it open them up the colors they are changing the galatic runtz is spongy but i never put it thru the press to bind it together .the whit runtz is brick hard i am sitting here trying to crumble it up for a hit on the soapstone pipejust a couple of smaller crumbs, still has a way to go to meet @Tangwena standards. first hit smooth second a little harsher nose hit after the draw,still impressed! third hit still no cough nose hit after the draw,4th draw, nose hit after earthy taste something clean tasteing at exhale! hit 5 small headrush no nose hit still no cough,if my wife ever reads this i will never have anything cobs! think i will let em air till they film over and vac. seal again.

ost

Couple plants I started way back in January (RQS Dance World, “mostly sativa”, 1:1 THC:CBD)—should be ready to chop next week. Strong pine/lavender aroma. Planning on drying to 30% of dry weight & cobbing most of it up—guessing I’ll get about 6 30g cobs 😋

View attachment 18852403
made my heart jump!love it.
Couple plants I started way back in January (RQS Dance World, “mostly sativa”, 1:1 THC:CBD)—should be ready to chop next week. Strong pine/lavender aroma. Planning on drying to 30% of dry weight & cobbing most of it up—guessing I’ll get about 6 30g cobs 😋

View attachment 18852403
me just green ,great looking man!

Lehmi

Hello dear friends of bondage wellness flowers :giggle:

Here are my experiences with them.
(more here:
)

The flower remnants are actually meant for ointments and medicinal capsules, but it also works for the Malawi Style Cob (MSC).
The flowers are already a bit too dry for the MSC, but they still have some residual moisture. We want to test whether there are mould problems.

The curing time is one month.

Malawi Cob Style 016 Ed Rose.JPG

Macro:
Malawi Cob Style 016a Ed Rose.JPG

Coarser stems are removed, the paper prevents resinous parts of the plant from getting into the vacuum sealer.

Malawi Cob Style 017 Ed Rose.JPG

Malawi Cob Style 018 Ed Rose.JPG

The foils have been reused several times, one of them did not want to allow a good vacuum anymore, but the packaging is still tight.

Malawi Cob Style 019a Ed Rose.JPG

Malawi Cob Style 020 Ed Rose.JPG

When opened, a fine fruity-tart scent wafts into the nose. But it also has scents of hay.

The Cob with more air in it:
Malawi Cob Style 021 Ed Rose.JPG
Malawi Cob Style 022 Ed Rose.JPG

macro:
Malawi Cob Style 022a Ed Rose.JPG

(The curing time is one month)

Last edited:

Lehmi

The well vacuumed Cob :
Malawi Cob Style 023 Ed Rose.JPG

macro:
Malawi Cob Style 023a Ed Rose.JPG

Malawi Cob Style 024 Ed Rose.JPG

macro:
Malawi Cob Style 024a Ed Rose.JPG

I don't see any mould in the macro photo, not even when breaking open the cobs.
Malawi Cob Style 025 Ed Rose.JPG

macro:
Malawi Cob Style 025a Ed Rose.JPG

(The blurred parts are due to my modest photo skills... 😇 )

The experiment was also successful this time, the temperatures were not as high as in other experiments. The ideal temperature for me seems to be around 40-45° Celsius.

My guess:
(not representative, only anecdotal)

The firm pressing causes the fine trichomes to burst and the ripening process begins in a similar way to that of hash. Hence the super delicious smell.

The paper can regulate the excess moisture somewhat. But it also absorbs a little bit of resin, some may not like that.

Best greetings and love go to the initiators and all the many participants here for their collected experiences and posts, it is very inspiring. :love:

Last edited:

Lehmi

View attachment 18819421 View attachment 18819422
@Poetic Man
Welcome to the jungle my friend.
I do all my learning high on chewed cob brother whatever deep thoughts you have would be very profound.
The plants through the cob can teach you so much its true.
When I'm alone in the Aussie bush the ancient life forces speak to me and because there is no modern white noise blocking it out I can feel them.

Above is half a pound of Acapulco Gold complete with seeds 7 days into a cob style cure.
Grown by me not from Mexico ha ha.
1686473579645.png

Thank you for this test!

Now we can rebuild Cheech and Chong's van together. :biggrin:

Who makes the first wing?

Tangwena

Veteran
The well vacuumed Cob :
View attachment 18852549

macro:
View attachment 18852551

View attachment 18852552
macro:
View attachment 18852553

I don't see any mould in the macro photo, not even when breaking open the cobs.
View attachment 18852562

macro:
View attachment 18852566
(The blurred parts are due to my modest photo skills... 😇 )

The experiment was also successful this time, the temperatures were not as high as in other experiments. The ideal temperature for me seems to be around 40-45° Celsius.

My guess:
(not representative, only anecdotal)

The firm pressing causes the fine trichomes to burst and the ripening process begins in a similar way to that of hash. Hence the super delicious smell.

The paper can regulate the excess moisture somewhat. But it also absorbs a little bit of resin, some may not like that.

Best greetings and love go to the initiators and all the many participants here for their collected experiences and posts, it is very inspiring. :love:
Nice colors in those pics my friend after a bit of aging they should be superb.

Perdido

Hi guys
I haven't read all 336 pages of this thread and probably someone already posed the question:
Can I cob-cure baged weed from last year. I stored the different plants with 65% to 60% humidity and they seem quite cured already.
What if I send them through the cob-curing procedure now?

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Hi guys
I haven't read all 336 pages of this thread and probably someone already posed the question:
Can I cob-cure baged weed from last year. I stored the different plants with 65% to 60% humidity and they seem quite cured already.
What if I send them through the cob-curing procedure now?
sadly No is the short answer. It relies on bacteria that are present on living plants. I've mixed old and fresh weed with success but AFAIK it can't be done with old weed.