What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Taima-da

Mould can and will develop in sealed cob if your starting material is too wet, and/or if you don't dry somewhat each time you open to inspect -unless cobs feel quite dry on opening. Fungus is highly evolved to cope with a great deal of conditions and the sealer doesn't really remove 100% of O2, 100% of the time.

Having said that, if you start with material in the right moisture range and inspect with some regularity you generally won't have any issues.

Those look really good. Sure to rip your head off in a few months I'd say!

Tangwena

Veteran
I snapped off a smaller piece of the smaller part.. The aroma after breaking it open reminds me of Thai stick. I started with about 60-62% RH when I sealed it up. It's dry and super hard now. The smoke is smooth, not harsh at all... I like it :D
Your on the right track then brother, just let your imagination go wild, think on what you want to achieve and create it, you have the key now.
I always say the best growers can feel this cure its in their genes and thats where the satisfaction comes from.

Tangwena

Veteran
Some more Mulanje harvested and drying.
A few male flowers late in flower dont bother me in the least as long as its potent.
This is a pic a week ago crazy fast finishing on 8 hrs light.

img_2786-web.jpg

AND today

img_2861-web.jpg
img_2862-web.jpg
img_2866-web.jpg

chilliwilli

Waterboy
420giveaway
Hi folks i try to make my first cob.
Got 2 nice tops of super silver sour thai nevil that were drying for 2 days. They felt slightly dry to the touch and did shrink a little bit.
20230608_113819~2.jpg

After vacuum sealing the back got really thin.

20230608_114152~2.jpg

I set my sous vid stick to 40°C and 13h but i will check every 4 hours how everything looks.

Second stage will be 1 week at 30°C when the sweated brick got try to the touch.

Tangwena

Veteran
Hi folks i try to make my first cob.
Got 2 nice tops of super silver sour thai nevil that were drying for 2 days. They felt slightly dry to the touch and did shrink a little bit.
View attachment 18851494

After vacuum sealing the back got really thin.

View attachment 18851495

I set my sous vid stick to 40°C and 13h but i will check every 4 hours how everything looks.

Second stage will be 1 week at 30°C when the sweated brick got try to the touch.
Beautiful buds man thats going to be an awesome hit once cured.
What aromas are you getting before they are vacuumed?

chilliwilli

Waterboy
420giveaway
Beautiful buds man thats going to be an awesome hit once cured.
What aromas are you getting before they are vacuumed?
Smell is mostly slightly rotten fruit with a cleaner head that is not really pine or citrus but punches your nose. There is some incense hidden imo but i notice that only sometimes when smoked or vaped.
The high is very strong, psychedelic and time distorting.

chilliwilli

Waterboy
420giveaway
Oh i total forgot that i already made a cob with kerala but that was not done proper. I just kept it tightly wraped over the lights in my veg tent and it got mold. I kept the end that not catched the mold but never tried.

Last edited:

goingrey

I already started a second batch :biggrin: .
Problem is i'm away for the weekend and not sure if the second batch is enough dry for the reseal when i have to leave. Is it possible to freeze it and dry when i'm back sunday?

The look of the first batch is nice

View attachment 18851653
I think the freeze thaw cycle will alter the process significantly. For better or for worse results that I don't know, probably worse.