What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

does anyone NOT do catch and release anymore?

packerfan79

Veteran
Going night fishing Thursday. I say fishing, but in reality I will be tripping on Shrooms watching the waves, and the stars. If I catch something all the better.

Unless the dude is a vegan, his point of view makes no logical sense to me. If you aren't willing to eat one, then for what sick reason are you doing catch and release? I'm ok with it, just saying you should be willing to eat some on the days you have a cooler and a license.

I hunt deer and hogs, but I genuinely hate them. I hate goats too, but they aren't wild in Ohio :shucks:

Handgun hunting is disrespectful :pimp3:

Veggia farmer

IF I fish, I keep it. Fish=food=dont waste food. If its not food, for God sake let it be! Same as you eat what you kill. If not, well, bad karma I would guess.

Edit: as some mention its getting low population on some animals and fish someplaces, well thats easy, I keep out of it and let them be on its own. LOL

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Unless the dude is a vegan, his point of view makes no logical sense to me. If you aren't willing to eat one, then for what sick reason are you doing catch and release? I'm ok with it, just saying you should be willing to eat some on the days you have a cooler and a license.

I hunt deer and hogs, but I genuinely hate them. I hate goats too, but they aren't wild in Ohio :shucks:

Handgun hunting is disrespectful :pimp3:

you hate Bambi? :) i don't hunt anything because i hate it. i trim coyotes numbers when i can because they are non-native invaders here, ditto feral hogs. (the hogs are delicious, coyotes...who knows?) i do catch & release with trout because i do not like the flavor, and smallmouth bass because they can be a bitch to clean. damn hide like a rhino, lol. we got some feral goats wandering TVA & private property both down here. come on down! disrespectful? any weapon used is disrespectful if you cannot hit what you are aiming at...

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
There is catch and keep, catch and release, and what I used to do when I was stocking my pond, is catch and relocate. It is how I got the bass and channel cats into my pond. I subsequently have let others catch and relocate bass to their ponds.

Most people like to just fish and toss 'em back, cause cleaning and cooking is a hassle. It's always fun to catch fish. I like it when friends bring over their kids, cause kids just have so much fun catching fish.

packerfan79

Veteran
I caught a beautiful striped bass, and had a great mushroom trip Thursday night. Caught and released. Ate the shrooms before I started the hike in , first time in this spot. I was tripping pretty hard when I got to the spot. :yay:

Sunshineinabag

C&R is great for lakes suffering from fishing pressure, or for species that don't reproduce as fast as panfish do. We have slot limits on size and/or number for most game fish in Minnesota.

so we do a lot of C&R for trout, walleye, northern pike, muskie.

up here in MN we hunt and fish for the food value, quite often needing to buy an additional freezer to hold the bulk :)
Esox is sacred

you hate Bambi? :) i don't hunt anything because i hate it. i trim coyotes numbers when i can because they are non-native invaders here, ditto feral hogs. (the hogs are delicious, coyotes...who knows?) i do catch & release with trout because i do not like the flavor, and smallmouth bass because they can be a bitch to clean. damn hide like a rhino, lol. we got some feral goats wandering TVA & private property both down here. come on down! disrespectful? any weapon used is disrespectful if you cannot hit what you are aiming at...

Yes, I genuinely don't like deer. One kicked my dog, one chased me, totalled two of my cars, my outdoor plants in highschool were eaten by deer.....

Fuck deer! I hate deer. Young deer just grow up to be bigger deer.

P.S. I do practice with handguns ALOT, I would say I'm "humane" out to 50 yards depending on how hard my heart is pounding.
My favorite handgun has the same point of aim, hot or cold. So I would be hunting on a dirty, but cold bore. I always leave my bore dirty before hunting.
^actually, I'm really lucky; I have two nice loads with the exact same point of aim, only different penetration. Either would be plenty, especially since I exclusively hunt doe.

Got a 110 running 1650, and a 158 running 1,700 :hotbounce

3snowboards

...in hawaii no license is needed to fish from shore
I never fished anywhere else except pyramid lake which is on indian land and there its a daily fee to fish not a license
If you are catching lots i say its good to harvest some

slacker

In the mountains the only reason I fish is fir dinner wich equates to a few casts. Salmon in the river is the opposite