What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Kali China

Flipped them 2 days ago and they look like they're loving life. Did a very light top dressing and some vermicompost + leftover mushroom compost, just enough to cover most of the soil. I definitely don't wanna overdo it.

The smaller plant on the left has some lovely variegated leaves on her (only one branch) and her stems are all getting quite thick.
The taller one on the right seems to have overcome her injury after i removed the tie-wrap. So far easy growing!
IMG_20230726_233540.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230728_193649.jpg
    IMG_20230728_193649.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 91
  • IMG_20230728_193713.jpg
    IMG_20230728_193713.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 91
  • IMG_20230728_193718.jpg
    IMG_20230728_193718.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 93
  • IMG_20230728_200045.jpg
    IMG_20230728_200045.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 96
So after i looked at the wound a little more i noticed that there's definitely mold growing in there. It's hard to focus my camera on but there's some white fuzz in the middle and there's like a film of fungus around the wound. Probably because of the way us trapped it + the honey. Stupid.

I'm tempted to wipe it off with alcohol wipes but don't wanna do any damage to the plant. After some googling i still don't really know how to handle it, maybe some of you do? She doesn't seem to bother though (yet)

Attachments

• IMG_20230729_204418.jpg
    IMG_20230729_204418.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 109
  • IMG_20230729_204052.jpg
    IMG_20230729_204052.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 104

goingrey

So after i looked at the wound a little more i noticed that there's definitely mold growing in there. It's hard to focus my camera on but there's some white fuzz in the middle and there's like a film of fungus around the wound. Probably because of the way us trapped it + the honey. Stupid.

I'm tempted to wipe it off with alcohol wipes but don't wanna do any damage to the plant. After some googling i still don't really know how to handle it, maybe some of you do? She doesn't seem to bother though (yet)
Tough spot. I'd say cut it off but it's the entire plant. How did it get this kind of split?

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Sorry about the breakage on your Kali China Plant @DennisBlackMagic Use healing-antiseptic paste for plants to disinfect the open area, gently cover it to avoid pathogens go in, and avoid any brusque movement that can produce more breakage. If the breakage gets worst and cuts the sap flows, then the part after the breakage will get inevitably dry and dead.

In this case, the variegation in some leaves is due to inbreeding, but as you have experienced rarely affects Kali China's vigor and performance, and KC plants showing this variegation are closer genetically to my favorite KC parental plant (21-4), the one we use to reverse and produce straight Kali China offspring and hybrids.

CannaT

starin' at the world through my rearview
Premium user

Spray it with peroxide 3%
To kill all.
Than spray some kefir on it diluated with water.
For good microbes.
Than wait to it apsorb than again pure h20.
And take small vent and put it blow over it so it stay dry.
Maybe use some vire to bandaid it and give it more support and thats it.

Last edited:
@dubi Well i'd like to say i can learn from these mistakes but this isn't the first time this happens so... 😅 Gonna look into the antiseptic paste, it probably will come in handy again later on. Thanks for the info.

Happy to hear about the variegated one cause i wanted to use KC for some personal breeding so i can tame the sativa's Ace has to offer cause of my restricted grow space. I'm thinking of pollinating New Caledonia after i grew out a pack and picked my favorite so i'm very excited about that.

@CannaT Damn i just threw out my kefir grains yesterday i forgot about and went bad 😅. Love the organic DIY approach though. Would LAB be similar in effect as kefir you think? Probably gonna give it a try anyway it shouldn't hurt. Thanks for the info!

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Glad to hear that @DennisBlackMagic :) Kali China has been sucessfully used to tame long flowering sativas, such as in Thai Chi or Haze x Kali China to name 2 relevant KC hybrids with very long flowering sativas that come out quite tamed, yet Kali China doesn't interfere as much with the sativa qualities like NL or heavy Afghani Skunks usually do.

A cross between New Caledonia I (the sativa version) with Kali China has lots of potential and is also in my mind. In fact, we are in the testing process of New Caledonia II (the hybrid version) crossed with Kali China.

CannaT

Premium user
@CannaT Damn i just threw out my kefir grains yesterday i forgot about and went bad 😅. Love the organic DIY approach though. Would LAB be similar in effect as kefir you think? Probably gonna give it a try anyway it shouldn't hurt. Thanks for the info!
Store buy Kefir will do the trick also. Its all about good microbes...just to be shure that they are in larger number than bad ones.
LAB will also work I think.
After peroxide you litteraly have no microbes or very small amount.
And when you put LAB or Kefir...you are shure that good ones are in bigger number.

👍

CannaT

Premium user
@CannaT peroxide to disinfect first the breakage yes, but i can not recommend to put anything in a open wound that can get rotten such as kefyr.
Not to put Kefir on it, just to spray the plant(broken part) with watered down Kefir.

But If you put Kefir on plant nothing can be just benefits.

Kefir-induced disappearance of tumoural necrosis was also evident. With respect to the antibacterial activity of kefir, the greatest activity was exhibited against gram-positive coccus, staphylococcus, and gram-positive bacillus. Kefir ‘grains’ showed higher antibacterial activity than kefir. Kefir also demonstrated antifungal activity against Candida, Saccharomyces, Rhodotorula, Torulopsis, Microsporum and Trichopyton species. The results demonstrate that kefir possesses antibacterial, antifungal and antineoplastic activities, and provides credence to the folklorec use of kefir for a variety of infectious and neoplastic diseases.

Last edited:
Look at these happy girls! I did a last defoliation a little later then i would have wanted but sometimes life gets in they way it's all good.
She was praying before defoliation and a bit droopy after but she perked right up an hour later. She actually seems to manage high light levels (the right one at least she's getting most of it) and despite her not being known to be the biggest yielder i have a feeling she's gonna yield well. I flipped on 26th of july so theyre fast.

Temps are around 30c atm but that's because of my dehumidifier heating up the room. I want to hit the right VPD but in the last month of flower as dubi recommended i will probably turn it down so temps will drop. Yield might suffer but quality is more important. I see now that in some pics the tips might seem like theyre clawing but they were touching the door of my cabinet, gonna check it out anyway later
IMG_20230811_222639.jpg
IMG_20230811_222520.jpg
IMG_20230811_221832.jpg
IMG_20230811_230124.jpg
IMG_20230811_230313.jpg

early_bird

Veteran
2 Stripes of 98 Samsung LM301B LED´s in 6500 K.
New light, so i still play arround. I get very close to Seedlings to avoid stretch with arround 40 Watts, after a few days i get more distance and lower wattages, actually 29 Watt with 10cm distance.

I build this lightening myself with the goal to get compact plants in my mother room and save space, but think this was even to sucessful. Actually consider to switch to 4000K. To veg stretchy sativas 6500K is really fine i think.
Main issue is that mother plants lignify extremly fast.

Cactus Squatter

Kali China in 2 Liter Pot, Day 11.
The plant is growing so compact, i can´t even measure the nodial distances :D

View attachment 18876854
I had one do that. Ended up being one of the more hashplant phenos and was stacked so tightly it was insane. Tasted and smelled absolutely amazing and so unique. Almost like the scented my little pony toys my sister had as a kid.

Bad news on my grow, the big one kept stretching and seems like she's throwing nanners on the tops cause of light intensity. My bad really i thought she could handle it but i didnt really keep in mind how big she got and how close she came to the light, i wanted the small one to get decent light too. Lowered intensity and i'm gonna pluck em off later today probably (they were very underdeveloped still when i spotted them yesterday) and i hope she stops throwing nanners but i'm afraid she wont stop now she has started. I'm kinda torn between plucking them off and just cutting her cause i might not see them all since i can't really acces or look at my plant from every corner in my overgrown cab. I would hate for the other kc and my other 2 flowering plants in a different cab to be seeded. We'll see if she stops throwing i guess. No pics of the nanners i forgot.
IMG_20230817_211736.jpg

Tranquilidade

In this case, the variegation in some leaves is due to inbreeding, but as you have experienced rarely affects Kali China's vigor and performance, and KC plants showing this variegation are closer genetically to my favorite KC parental plant (21-4), the one we use to reverse and produce straight Kali China offspring and hybrids.

Kali China Elite F3xF4

Not worrying about variegation at all, seen this with many plants. This time growing in 3 gal pots to see her full potential.

kc-elite.jpg