What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

any fly fishermen/ladies out there?

supermanlives

Veteran
bead head prince nymph and wooly buggers....still haven't got a new rod and reel tho... but those clear cast a bubbles work ok in a pinch....slow fishing last few days

sutra1

Love fly fishing. Most fun you can have without making much noise. Plus trout, smallmouth are generally found in really nice places. I have four rods in various weights and wish this winter wasn't so hard so I could get out more.........

armedoldhippy

Veteran
spring is nigh upon us here. I'm gonna try my hand at flyfishing for the stripers/hybrids in a river nearby. I can already hear that drag squalling...:woohoo:

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
....never too cold for fly fishing, if the bite is on...

Attachments

• springtime trout.jpg
    springtime trout.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 41

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm a bait & cast person myself.....worms/grasshoppers...occasionally salmon eggs. Prefer streams to lakes....not much weight. Ice fishing is ok....get a little pensive hearing ice cracking. LOVE kokanee snagging in late Autumn. Yummm!

unregistered190

Senior
Veteran
Watching for the dogwoods to come in to bloom.......then I plan on wearing the crappie out for a a month or so :woohoo:
Won't be long now.............:clock watch:

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
haven't got new rod yet...been using cast a bubble but the bite is better on bait right now...peace

armedoldhippy

Veteran
tomorrow is last day of license year here, time for my annual "freeze yer butt off & get scorched" trout trip. caught my largest trout ever on this trip years ago, a 5 lb 12 oz brown. was standing in 6" of fresh snow, LOL! my toes still hurt just thinking about it...:biggrin:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Fly fished on english chalk streams,scottish lochs,and in Pakistan and india for trout,wouldnt mind fishing in Bhutan and New Zealand,supposedly the meccas for trout fishermen.

I'd like to try NZ myself. the way it has been explained to me is as follows - any stream/river will support only so many pounds of fish per mile. we'll say twenty pounds, sounds ok. here in the states, that might be twenty 1 lb trout. in NZ, it might be four 5 lb fish, or two 10 lb fish, or...:woohoo: a twenty pound brown.:) yeah, I think I could live with that, LOL!

armedoldhippy

Veteran
a kokanee is a landlocked strain of salmon. if you caught one that weighed 3 lbs, they would probably have a parade in your honor...:woohoo:

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
anyone say crappie.... yeehaw,,,crappie and steak for dinner...not bad for my first of season...lost 2 more as my lure was for bass and a bit big....will break out the castabubble and some flies next time

armedoldhippy

Veteran
looks like a nice fat slab, StonedTrout! my bro & I killed them earlier in year, right now we are kicking butts & taking names catching big smallmouth bass & hybrids on local river. using flies so big that they are plumb painful to cast on an 8-weight fly rod. a real hoot to fight though... the hybrids (white bass x striped bass) will damn near jerk the rod out of your hand when they hit!:woohoo:

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
wooly buggers and bead head prince nymph black......yeehaw...beautifull day today...I have plenty of striper and hybrids experience so I know what your talking bout hippy...none here and white bass were wiped out.. ....^^^^^^^ SHIT

Last edited:

Sisu

Veteran
That's a pretty decent crappie there SML, great table size. Ah, crappie, or specks, or calico bass or sac-a-lait...damn near the perfect panfish.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
had a graphite rod shattered by a big smallmouth the other day. going to an 8 or 10 weight so the big smallies & hybrids don't f##k me up anymore...:ying: