What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Smoking weed while pregnant?

Euphrates

I retract my last statement a bit.( I don’t want to spread any disinformation) I think it’s hard to say for sure (100%) what the effects may be, if any; but after reading some more on the subject, there are a lot of case’s of mothers smoking cannabis while pregnant and having normal children. Anxiety and stress are not good for the child/fetus, and if consuming cannabis reduces that, then smoking/consuming cannabis may out weigh, if any, harm done by consuming cannabis to the child.

Mother’s who are addicted to cigarettes while pregnant are often told by doctor’s (not all) to cut down, but not to completely quit to lessen any stress that may effect the child. An Smoking cannabis is a lot safer than tobacco. I say if by quitting smoking/consuming cannabis would negatively effect the mother by adding stress/anxiety, then it may be best not to quit completely, but I believe a good idea to cut back.

An the fact that it is properly cultivated herb(I am assuming, this is Icmag), and not paraquat beasters or shwag, is in good favor of it being safe/er.

Bobby Stainless

"Ill let you try my Wu-Tang style"
Veteran
Bobby, you are asking for trouble! Stay out of it. It's none of your business! Refuse to hook em up if it bothers you.

Ever hear of "kill the messenger"? You can't win this one! :D

WTF! I am not "in it". I do not "hook" her up either. She is a female friend of my female friend, and it aggravated me that she was smoking. I find it irresponsible.

Babba: I here you on the vape, but don't have one. At least it was organic pot.

I just wanted to get my facts straight.

Bobby Stainless

"Ill let you try my Wu-Tang style"
Veteran
youre selling that casey jones to a preggo? WTF let me in on that shit lol

LMAO!

I don't sell to her. In fact, if I knew she was going to smoke with us, I would have waited.

I am a sucker for little kids, especially little babies!:joint:

Quentin

IF the Casey Jones is phukin you up then the preggas chicky is gonna get wasted and you have to wear some of the responsibility. IF no CJ was around then that baby may have a normal start in life.Not coming down on anyone but its a fact to be considered.
Healthy and natural is the way for a happy pregnancy.

tRuKemist

IF the Casey Jones is phukin you up then the preggas chicky is gonna get wasted and you have to wear some of the responsibility. IF no CJ was around then that baby may have a normal start in life.Not coming down on anyone but its a fact to be considered.
Healthy and natural is the way for a happy pregnancy.

Organic Casey Jones sounds just as healthy and natural as ummmmmm breast milk! Lol I definitely wouldn't feed it to the kid, but you know what I mean...

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
QUESTION

QUESTION

I am the father of two beautiful, happy, healthy children. Their mother rarely smokes, but I'm sure she had a couple drinks before she knew about the pregnancy. I might have pressured her into a brownie or 2...But as soon as we knew she was prego, she was clean as a whistle.

Now hopefully this won't stir up too much shit but, :dueling:

My question to all of you who approve of this is...
Would you pass the bong to an infant? Would you give your 6 months old a shotgun of some bomb Casey? Would you put a hash brownie in your 2 yr olds lunchbox?

There is absolutely no difference.

You smoke bomb Casey while your prego and so does ya lil bundle of joy.

Now we are all adults here, so you do what you please. I pass judgement on no one.

I need some of that Casey my damn self!!

Whats good H3aD?

Lapides

Rosin Junky and Certified Worm Wrangler
Veteran
I'm almost 100% sure my girlfriend's mom smoked while she was pregnant with her. She is 100% fine. Beautiful, smart, has all her fingers, went to a good university.

Another friend of mine smoked during her whole pregnancy. Kids are fine.

One of the posters above mentioned something about a study done in Jamaica. I read that too, and the study showed that the kids whose mothers smoked, were more well behaved and did better in school.

Amber Trich

My opinion is that smoking herb during pregnancy can be much healthier than the alternatives. Prescriptions are dangerous and cannabis is a whole herb. I know what I trust. Not all herbs can be used during pregnancy, cannabis can induce labor late in pregnancy but studies do not show use during pregnancy is dangerous.

I think it is a lot of propaganda. Its been done safely for a long time. Cigs, coke, alcohol, heroin.. it seems like those drugs have easily traceable negative effects on fetus'. Cannabis has been used much longer with out real negative findings!!

Also a stressed out or sick mama is NEVER good for a fetus.

Please read for yourself, these are links that have been posted by stormcrow in the past...

http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cannabis_myth7.shtml

http://www.rism.org/isg/dlp/ganja/analyses/GanjaBabyes.html

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?db=PubMed&cmd=Retrieve&list_uids=3657756

http://www.druglibrary.org/Schaffer/hemp/medical/can-babies.htm

http://www.thehempire.com/index.php/cannabis/news/more_pregnancy_highs_than_lows

http://www.nel.edu/pdf_/25_12/NEL251204A01_Fride_.pdf

http://ccrmg.org/journal/06spr/dreher.html#morning

LLCoolBud

I agree with that the mental state of the mother is a very important factor in pregnancy. I think it should be fine for mothers to a a small drink here or a little toke here but any regular consistent use will pass on to the babys blood stream. A relative of mine could not get preggers without medication and I don't think that's healthy at all and the baby suffers.

So natural over chemical, and good vibes are key to a chillin baby. IMO

HerbGlaze

Eugene Oregon
Veteran
All I have to say is.. don't do anything while preggo its just overall a bad thing, and can cause problems and leave you and your child forever scarred.

By the way, YummyBud is a pot baby.

Miss Blunted

Resident Bongtender
Veteran
This woman I knew 20 years ago was a full blown pothead. She got pregnant and took off the first trimester. Started smoking after that once a day to eliminate her morning sickness. And the baby was healthy. Hell, the kid is going to a big name university now.

Some women can have such extreme morning sickness to the point where they lose a lot of weight and can't get proper nutrition in their bodies. Prenatal vitamins without food are even more nausiating. Poor nutrition by choice of eating habbits or chronic nausea could be just as harmful to a developing fetus than smoking MJ (within reason).

I personally would avoid smoking during pregnancy except for the reason above....and only as long as the nausia persisted (I did have a pregnancy where I lost 15 pounds in 2 weeks due to SEVERE nausia)...by the way, nausia medication that a doctor might give you isn't necessarily safe....most will not give you anything for it anyways and the over-the-counter anti-nausea medications are NOT safe.

Off the subject a little...but I'd say if your friend is already very pregnant, she might be doing harm, maybe not.....this topic needs to be further researched for sure.

whiskeytango420

There is only one king, god picks em, hand pluckes
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I chose to agree with my wife medicating with herb instead of:
Compazine-given for nausea, can cause birth defects
Prozac, Welbutrin..etc- Given also to pregnant women to help with depression..

The laundry list of meds that the midwife said they would give,(and yes...they give Opiates to pregnant women too)
make me MUCH more worried about my about to be born child than my organic ganja.
I say, its way safer, and much more natural for the women to medicate with ganj. There is a thread on can com about this, and it was said that mmj consuming, breastfeeding mothers actually had babies that maintained a healthier appetite and slept better. There ARE cannabinoid receptors in your brain, not prozac and percocet receptors...just my lil pennies...
good vibes

Miss Blunted

Resident Bongtender
Veteran
The laundry list of meds that the midwife said they would give,(and yes...they give Opiates to pregnant women too)
make me MUCH more worried about my about to be born child than my organic ganja.

I like the idea of a midwife instead of a doctor....they typically lean toward natural birthing...the "old ways" of having a baby. That's how I would do it. I used herb when I was pregnant when I needed to...and I would use my organic ganja if I had to during a future pregnancy. I had horomone problems when I was pregnant and MJ was the safest thing I could find....in my opinion, of course.

Mrs. Swamp

I smoked while pregnant with both of my children....they are healthy, happy kids!!! I don't personally see anything wrong with it, but to each their own!!

mazzakush

alright..

I used to also think smoking while pregnant would fuck shit up.. but.
I've met plenty of mama's who smoked during their pregnancies and both they and their babies are wonderful, intelligent and just fucken fine.

Its probably way better then even the chemicals in oreo's for that developing kid. But hey, that's just what I think.

I say ladies, puff down. Fuck the chems.

The real question here is.. Is the Casey Jones Organic?

love?

6. Cannabis use in human pregnancy

Cannabis is the most commonly used illicit drug among women of reproductive age and in the United States the self-reported use of this substance is 2.9% during pregnancy (National Pregnancy and Health Survey, 1996 and Ebrahim and Gfroerer, 2003).

Fried (2002) has reviewed the studies on behavioral teratologic consequences of prenatal exposure to cannabis. Only two longitudinal cohorts with very different sample characteristics were found that examined the possible impact of cannabis exposure in utero on neurobehavioral and cognitive outcomes in offspring beyond early school age. The Ottawa Prenatal Prospective Study (OPPS; Fried, 2002) examines the consequences of cannabis (and smoking) use during pregnancy in a sample of low-risk, white, predominantly middle-class families, as yet up to the age of 18–22 years. The Maternal Health Practices and Child Development Study (MHPCD; Richardson and Day, 1998) has been following a high-risk cohort of low socioeconomic status, started in 1982, and has reported offspring outcome up to the age of 10. These cohorts have mainly described the impact of heavy cannabis use on offspring outcome. At present there are no studies that have focused on moderate cannabis use during pregnancy.

6.1. Neurobehavioral outcomes after prenatal cannabis exposure

In the neonatal period, findings from the OPPS and MHPCD showed that there may be an association between aspects of nervous system functioning and prenatal exposure to marijuana, reflected by increased tremors that were typically accompanied by exaggerated and prolonged startles (Fried and Makin, 1987) or altered sleep patterns (Richardson et al., 1989). The Maternal Life Style study, a clinical prospective study of acute neonatal events and long-term health and developmental outcomes associated with prenatal cocaine exposure, also included prenatal marijuana exposure. More stress/abstinence signs were found in 1-month-old infants of mothers who used low to moderate amounts of cannabis in pregnancy (Lester et al., 2002).

At the 6-year-follow up, the OPPS reported more impulsive and hyperactive behavior of children prenatally exposed to cannabis (Fried et al., 1992b). The MHPCD cohort showed that at 6 years of age, prenatally cannabis exposed children were rated by their teachers as showing more delinquent behavior (Leech et al., 1999). Moreover, the 6-year-old children showed more impulsive behavior at a continuous performance task (Leech et al., 1999). At age 10, these children had hyperactivity, increased inattention, impulsivity and delinquency symptoms as reported by their mother and their teachers (Goldschmidt et al., 2000). Also, attention deficits were found, which may mediate the relation between prenatal cannabis exposure and delinquency (Goldschmidt et al., 2000).

None of these studies have focused on substance (ab)use by the offspring after prenatal exposure to cannabis.

6.2. Cognitive function after prenatal cannabis exposure

In the OPPS, no association was found between prenatal cannabis exposure and infant mental or motor development at 1 year of age (Fried and Watkinson, 1988). The high-risk MHPCD cohort, however, showed an association between the use of 1 or more joints per day in third trimester pregnancy and a decrease in mental scores of the Bayley Scales of Infant Development (Bayley, 1969) at 9 months of age, which disappeared at 18 months (Richardson et al., 1995).

When the offspring of OPPS reached the age of 4, associations between regular (more than 5 joints a week) prenatal cannabis exposure and significantly lower scores on several verbal and memory subscales of the McCarthy Scales of Children's Ability were noted (Fried and Watkinson, 1990 and McCarthy, 1972). Similar findings applied to the offspring of the MHPCD cohort at 3 years of age, in which an impairment on short-term memory, verbal and abstract/visual reasoning was found after in utero exposure to cannabis (Day et al., 1994).

As the children get older, the most striking finding is that ‘executive function’ (EF), an overarching cognitive domain reflecting the ability to organize and integrate specific cognitive and output processes over an interval of time, may be hampered. EF is involved in, e.g. cognitive flexibility in problem solving, sustained and focused attention, and working memory. Specific tests from the WISC-II, such as the Block Design and Picture Completion, requiring higher order cognitive processes which are part of EF, were performed less well by prenatal cannabis exposed 9- and 12-year-olds from the OPPS cohort (Fried et al., 1998). This is consistent with findings from the MHPCD cohort, that showed problems in abstract and visual reasoning, and more inattention and impulsivity, at 10 years of age after prenatal cannabis exposure (Richardson and Day, 1997 and Richardson et al., 2002). Fried and Watkinson (2000) examined visuoperceptual functioning in greater detail in the 9–12-year-old OPPS subjects and found more support for impaired aspects of EF (e.g. visual-motor integration, non-verbal concept formation, and inhibition of prepotent responses) after prenatal cannabis exposure. At 13–16 years of age, however, prenatal cannabis exposure was not associated with aspects of attention, such as flexibility, encoding and focusing (Fried et al., 2003).

6.3. Cannabis effects in animal pregnancy

Navarro et al. (1995) have reviewed behavioral consequences of maternal exposure to cannabinoids in rat models and concluded that it resulted in alteration in the pattern of ontogeny of spontaneous locomotor and exploratory behavior in the offspring. Adult animals exposed during gestational and early neonatal periods, when lactation took place, showed persistent alterations in the behavioral response to novelty, social interactions, sexual orientation and sexual behavior. They also exhibited a lack of habituation and reactivity to a variety of stimuli. Also, visual developmental milestones were delayed in rodents after prenatal exposure to cannabis (Borgen et al., 1973 and Fried, 1976). In addition, Mereu et al. (2003) found a disruption of memory retention and hyperactive behavior in offspring of rats who were administered with a cannabinoid receptor agonist during pregnancy. Moreover, the offspring appeared to be sensitized to reinforcing effects of morphine, suggesting an increased sensitivity to addictive behavior.

6.4. Mechanisms related to prenatal cannabis use and offspring outcomes

Cannabinoids, the psychoactive ingredients of cannabis, can cross the placental barrier (Gomez et al., 2003). This way, cannabinoids are able to affect the expression of key genes for neural development leading to neurotransmitter and behavioral disturbances (Gomez et al., 2003). Furthermore, the early presence of cannabinoid receptors during fetal brain development provides a mechanism by which cannabinoids might produce the effects found in the offspring (Navarro et al., 1995). Animal research indicates that endogenous cannabinoids and their cannabinoid CB1 and CB2 receptors are involved in embryonal implantation, neural development, and the initiation of suckling in the newborn (Fride, 2004). Also, cannabinoid CB1 receptors have been found in the human placenta (Park et al., 2003), and may mediate adverse actions of prenatal cannabis exposure. One of the major cannabinoid receptor sites in the human brain is in that part of the forebrain that is associated with higher cognitive functions (Glass et al., 1997 N. Glass, M. Dragunow and R.L.M. Faull, Cannabinoid receptors in the human brain: a detailed anatomical and quantitative autoradiographic study in the fetal, neonatal, and adult human brain, Neuroscience 77 (1997), pp. 299–318.Glass et al., 1997) as well as in the cerebellum. This may support the suggestions that prenatal cannabis exposure is related to deficits in specific higher order cognitive functions. In line with this theory are findings from a recent study on the OPPS offspring aged 18–22-years-old, using fMRI to test prefrontal cortex activity by using Go/No–Go paradigms to assess response inhibition (Smith et al., 2004). An increased activity in the left orbital frontal gyrus and right dorsolateral of the prefrontal cortex was found. The authors suggested that this result might reflect increased effort to perform the response inhibition task, which may be caused by a delayed development of this brain area. However, more studies are needed.

Other mechanisms that have been proposed originate from animal models. For instance, prenatal cannabinoid exposure influences gene expression on a key protein for brain development, the neural adhesion molecule L1, which plays an important role in processes of cell proliferation and migration, and synaptogenesis (Gomez et al., 2003). Furthermore, prenatal cannabinoid exposure altered the normal development of nigrostriatal and mesolimbic dopaminergic neurons (Rodriguez de Fonseca et al., 1991). These mechanisms may underlie the associations between prenatal exposure to cannabis and neurobehavioral and cognitive outcomes.

With regard to the HPA-axis, Del Acro et al. (2000) observed long-lasting changes in the HPA axis reactivity in rat offspring exposed in utero to a synthetic cannabinoid compound. Offspring prenatally exposed to high levels of a synthetic cannabinoid compound showed a decreased responsiveness of the HPA axis to stressors at adult ages, whereas offspring prenatally exposed to low levels of the same cannabinoid compound showed a sensitization of the HPA axis. The latter may underlie some of the behavioral changes found in the moderately exposed offspring.

Source: Neuroscience & Biobehavioral Reviews
Volume 30, Issue 1, 2006, Pages 24-41

Available online (but you have to pay $36 to read): http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0149763405000953

love?

Here's a summary for those that can't be bothered to read all that:

DON'T SMOKE WHEN YOU'RE PREGNANT

Mrs. Swamp

Like I said, I smoked with both of my children, and they are both happy, intelligent, healthy children....but to each their own. The cannabis helped me with the terrible morning sickness that I had, but with my second child, I quit 45 days before delivery because in my state, since my first child, they passed a law and they test the baby for THC (among other drugs), and if you fail, then you have the Department of Children and Families all up in your business.

Latest posts

Latest posts