Used to grow outdoors. Started growing indoors about eight years ago. Two to three crops a year. Have had gnats two or three times but never with seedlings. Usually get them, when I do, just before 12/12 from my over watering. I always veg til alternating nodes appear about two months or three depending on height and how they've been cropped and trained. .
When I did get gnats in veg a few times it was more a nuisance than anything else. Easy to recover. This was the first time I had to deal with them from seed. First week in Light Warrior they were looking good. By the second week I'm noticing that the first pair of smooth edged leaves are looking yellow sooner than usual. I give them a foliar treatment with Epsom Salts. Then I notice the adult flies. Now I know that the maggots are eating my roots! Same day I run off to a local grow shop and pickup some Roots Organic. First I want to kill the infestation before re-potting. Inch and a half of Gnatnix and repeated drenching with the appropriate mixing of H3O and water. still swarmed by gnats. SUPER GNATS! I move onto nematodes. Water them in according to instructions. By the end of their first month the plants look like they're only two weeks old. But at least the situation seems to be under control.
I decide to re-pot. The Roots Organic has been waiting for this. When I re-pot I give all the seedlings shaken baby syndrome as much as I dare to rid the roots of all that mess from Light Warrior and the treatments. The plants respond great. Everything is looking up. Gone from almost dead to greening up again. Two weeks later adult gnats again. Again with the Gnatnix and nematodes. After that treatments of BTi.
I'm thinking the second infestation was caused by incomplete eradication of the Light Warrior. Anyhow this second plague is brought under control. Now the plants are two months old and look like they've been stunted at least a month of growth.
I grow organic in 5 gal. fabric pots. I also grow with super soil or compost. So I put about an inch of perlite on the bottom of each bag, then fill them halfway or so with super soil then the top half with Roots Organic.
I do the shaken baby thing again and repot for the third time. Again plants recover well and I'm wiping my brow in relief. Two weeks later FLIES AGAIN. Now I realize that both the Light Warrior and Roots Organic were contaminated. So here we go again. Gnatnix, nematodes, and then BTi. Also used T-Drops this time.
Now the plants are three months old and are beginning to thrive like I'm used too. I don't want to think about the wasted electricity and money spent on sticky boards, nematodes, mosquito bits etc. Just happy that the plants seem to be doing well now.
I've been growing Chronic for 1/2 a dozen harvests now. Growing Chronic I find to have enough challenges but I love the strain. Time to breed some more seeds. Next grow that is.
Two more things I'd like to share.
From now on I will pasteurize any store bought soil before using.
Second. This experience led me to discover something called Recharge. It's beneficial bacteria, enzymes, and fungi that break down nutrients in the soil so plants can feed easier. This stuff actually makes a noticeable difference. Unlike so many other additives I've tried. Also forgot to mention that with each transplant I used kelp extract to help the plants with the shock.
Thanks for reading. Please any constructive criticism or questions would be welcome.