What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Help with rockrool heat

So I have clones under the dome but it won't keep humidity and if getting around 85

Seems to be the insert don't fit right and the pad is to.hot...any tips

CrushnYuba

85 is too hot.
If it's in a pretty warm room, you don't need a mat at all. I think they cause more problems. But yea a towel works if you really need it.

Why do you think you need more humidity? Are your clones wilting? I know allot of people that do Rockwool clones without domes. Are all the vents open? You want it as dry as you can without wilting. I use oasis cubes because they don't ever wilt. Excess moisture causes mold and rot.

fuutang

Rockwool can be problematic. Rockwool must be almost dry and just damp to the touch or seeds and seedlings will rot. Overwatering and overfeeding from Rockwool are typical problems leading to seed and seedling softening and rotting. When Rockwool ages, it's drainage properties are even worse. For seedlings, the Rockwool (mini) block must be shaken free of excess water prior to use and very lightly watered. IMO, overfeeding is caused by rockwool breaking down into concentrated minerals. I also found that heat from lamps made my Rockwool poisonous to plants, and up to all the leaves on my plants became yellow and dropped off. It may be more suitable for use in e.g. outdoor greenhouses.

High quality peat, or compost containing e.g. 80% or more peat is much more stable, and tends to drain perfectly for plants requirements. It can be used again and again, and even heated to cook the flies and bugs out. Although freshly watered peat seems wet, it is not, and provides a perfect substrate. I reccomend peat (or seed & cutting peat) for the entire grow. Fill your tubs with peat (or seed & cutting peat) and you can't go wrong, where good drainage is allowed.

As I normally only use pure peat I can't yet fully vouch for 80% peat with 20% compost added; though it tends to be very high quality (and I have just purchase some for another purpose, which seems very high quality).

The advantage of 'seed & cutting peat' against pure peat is the packaging size. 'Seed & cutting peat' packaging is much smaller than huge bales of pure peat, which are normally kept outside at garden centres, and as the peat gets soaked with rain-water they literally weigh a ton. In theory 'seed & cutting peat' with 20% added compost should provide perfect nutrition without the need for fertilizers.

Westland seed trays compost contains 80% peat. https://www.diy.com/departments/westland-seed-trays-compost-10l/5023377859151_BQ.prd

61ZBlv7nTxL._AC_SY450_.jpg

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
A 35 cell seed tray is basically 1.5" cells that can be filled with many things. I use coco myself. The flake like canna coco, not course like cogr. Just cover the tray, then uncover with a straight edge. Leaving all cells filled flush by gravity. Short dunk and they settle about 20%. Just nice.

Rockwool can be stood upon more rockwool, and the water just flows out. A stack of 2 or 3 blocks will drain one put on top to a sand colour in seconds. Higher the stack, the dryer the top block. Presuming the bottom block can run off the excess. Though that's no fun if you have to get a lot of blocks out.

Rockwool should carry a warning about the need to wear a mask when handing it dry. It's single use lifespan is also a lot of shopping. There is very little in it's favour. Nope... I got nothing.

75 foreignheight is alright but beware going any lower.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Rockwool can be problematic. Rockwool must be almost dry and just damp to the touch or seeds and seedlings will rot. Overwatering and overfeeding from Rockwool are typical problems leading to seed and seedling softening and rotting. When Rockwool ages, it's drainage properties are even worse. For seedlings, the Rockwool (mini) block must be shaken free of excess water prior to use and very lightly watered. IMO, overfeeding is caused by rockwool breaking down into concentrated minerals. I also found that heat from lamps made my Rockwool poisonous to plants, and up to all the leaves on my plants became yellow and dropped off. It may be more suitable for use in e.g. outdoor greenhouses.

High quality peat, or compost containing e.g. 80% or more peat is much more stable, and tends to drain perfectly for plants requirements. It can be used again and again, and even heated to cook the flies and bugs out. Although freshly watered peat seems wet, it is not, and provides a perfect substrate. I reccomend peat (or seed & cutting peat) for the entire grow. Fill your tubs with peat (or seed & cutting peat) and you can't go wrong, where good drainage is allowed.

As I normally only use pure peat I can't yet fully vouch for 80% peat with 20% compost added; though it tends to be very high quality (and I have just purchase some for another purpose, which seems very high quality).

The advantage of 'seed & cutting peat' against pure peat is the packaging size. 'Seed & cutting peat' packaging is much smaller than huge bales of pure peat, which are normally kept outside at garden centres, and as the peat gets soaked with rain-water they literally weigh a ton. In theory 'seed & cutting peat' with 20% added compost should provide perfect nutrition without the need for fertilizers.

Westland seed trays compost contains 80% peat. https://www.diy.com/departments/westland-seed-trays-compost-10l/5023377859151_BQ.prd

https://www.diy.com/ideas-advice/compost-buying-guide/PROD_npcart_100687.art

I use Snypes method, and micro manage clone cutting. My soaked blocks with cutting are 63 grams. Leave them in dome for 3 days, and expect t gram loss a day, till down to 50 grams, then get back to 50 grams everyday.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Rockwool can be problematic. Rockwool must be almost dry and just damp to the touch or seeds and seedlings will rot.

The OP is talking about clones, no seeds or seedlings involved. Bubblers keep Rockwool dripping wet at all times and are used successfully by a great number of growers.

DOD,
Loss of humidity means there's a leak. Seal the leak and you'll maintain humidity. BUT, raising a plant on high humidity makes it dependent on high humidity. Now you'll have to wean them which takes additional time and could lead to clone loss. Plants need as much growth underground as above ground to flourish. How much growth do we have underground with a cutting? None! If the plant can't drink it can't support heavy growth. Solution? Remove heavy growth from the cutting. Keeping cuts short and small with leaves well trimmed, minimal light and reasonable temps will remove the need for heavy drinking and, quite possibly, eliminate the need for a dome.

85° is too hot! It makes the plant thirsty at a time when the plant can't drink. Try for 75°. If the blanket on the mat trick doesn't drop temps enough, try an air gap. Build a frame that supports the container(s) an inch or two above the mat.