What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Reconstituting Less-than-spectacular Marijuana

paperchaser825

I have access to industrial gases, fabrication and a fair amount of funds. I am amassing a pretty large pile of, in my opinion, very unpleasant to smoke marijuana (ya I know, I know just get another dealer, right?). What is the most effective way for me to convert this lackluster weed into something that I can enjoy? I have experience in long soak BHO, winterizing, QWISO and Screening Methods, but what is the best way to do want I am trying to achieve here these days? I have seen current videos online and it seems one has to have a fucking chemisty degree and an entire high school chem lab's worth of equipment in order to obtain really good extract. :thinking:

star crash

We Will Get By ... We Will Survive
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hello there & I’m just curious & have a humble question ... If you don’t enjoy the marijuana material will you enjoy whatever you extract from that material no matter what the method? ... can the effects be “better” than what you originally start with? ... only more concentrated ??? You may just need a chemistry degree:biggrin:

paperchaser825

Hello there & I’m just curious & have a humble question ... If you don’t enjoy the marijuana material will you enjoy whatever you extract from that material no matter what the method? ... can the effects be “better” than what you originally start with? ... only more concentrated ??? You may just need a chemistry degree:biggrin:

I do know what you're getting at. My experience has been that the extracts I make are suitable, but the process is tedious and long and it seems my methods are primitive.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
One option is to toss it in some butter and water and make edibles with the butter. That is assuming it is not polluted, but just weak. Maybe it is a high CBD strain and the CBD buffered the THC.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Define large supply? What type of concentrates do you enjoy?

Subzero BHO or Ethanol would be my two choices.

For BHO you can use a dry ice slurry jacket on the column, and dry ice slurry bath for an injection heat exchanger between the holding tank and column. I've also used LN2 and a counterflow heat exchanger for the latter.

I typically keep the holding tank in an ice water bath instead of in a dry ice slurry, because both carbon steel and stainless steel properties degrade below around -40C, as do any polymers in gaskets and seals.

I recommend passing a flow through the column versus soaking, because it keeps the stagnant boundary layers washed away and fresh solvent in contact with fresh trichome.

You can soak and agitate when using ethanol below -50 or so. If you are processing huge amounts of material, it scales up better and can process larger batches per run than BHO.

star crash

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have access to industrial gases, fabrication and a fair amount of funds. I am amassing a pretty large pile of, in my opinion, very unpleasant to smoke marijuana (ya I know, I know just get another dealer, right?). What is the most effective way for me to convert this lackluster weed into something that I can enjoy? I have experience in long soak BHO, winterizing, QWISO and Screening Methods, but what is the best way to do want I am trying to achieve here these days? I have seen current videos online and it seems one has to have a fucking chemisty degree and an entire high school chem lab's worth of equipment in order to obtain really good extract. :thinking:

Define large supply? What type of concentrates do you enjoy?

Subzero BHO or Ethanol would be my two choices.

For BHO you can use a dry ice slurry jacket on the column, and dry ice slurry bath for an injection heat exchanger between the holding tank and column. I've also used LN2 and a counterflow heat exchanger for the latter.

I typically keep the holding tank in an ice water bath instead of in a dry ice slurry, because both carbon steel and stainless steel properties degrade below around -40C, as do any polymers in gaskets and seals.

I recommend passing a flow through the column versus soaking, because it keeps the stagnant boundary layers washed away and fresh solvent in contact with fresh trichome.

You can soak and agitate when using ethanol below -50 or so. If you are processing huge amounts of material, it scales up better and can process larger batches per run than BHO.
Any thoughts on the actual further Isomerization of marijuana extracts ? I Can’t help but be curious... When I was a youngster we came upon cherry red hash oil that would expand in your lungs it was a Isomer oil and extremely psychedelic ... ?

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Any thoughts on the actual further Isomerization of marijuana extracts ? I Can’t help but be curious... When I was a youngster we came upon cherry red hash oil that would expand in your lungs it was a Isomer oil and extremely psychedelic ... ?
We isomerized some recreational weed and got very little improvement, because of the low CBD content. We likewise isomerized some CBD isolate with good results.

Dave Gold also did some isomerizing and posted an article at GWL.

https://graywolfslair.com/index.php/10-the-alchemist-resource/10-4-isomerizing

https://graywolfslair.com/index.php...-d-gold/4-6-3-pure-thc-for-three-bucks-a-gram

star crash

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Dave Gold describes the process on GW site in the THC for $3 /gram post. I think it is more about converting CBD to THC. I want to try it on some CBD hemp, thus the 2nd to last question on the 4.6.3. thread.

Here are some links in case you didn't have them.

https://graywolfslair.com/index.php...-d-gold/4-6-3-pure-thc-for-three-bucks-a-gram

https://graywolfslair.com/index.php...4-6-2-red-oil-in-the-late-60-s-and-early-70-s

We isomerized some recreational weed and got very little improvement, because of the low CBD content. We likewise isomerized some CBD isolate with good results.

Dave Gold also did some isomerizing and posted an article at GWL.

https://graywolfslair.com/index.php/10-the-alchemist-resource/10-4-isomerizing

Seems like an alchemist dream:biggrin: I wish I had the knowledge and the resources