What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Proper readings with probe on direct "sunlight"

Sampas92

Just newbin
Hi guys, hope everyone is getting good harvests :plant grow:
This is my micro grow
picture.php

If you get closer there is a black probe in the middle of the grow, suspended in the air, that probe is from hygrostat that control my heater and my humidifier.
As you can see, since the cab is small i cant get the probe to better spot, and i cant manage to avoid direct light on the probe, and i know the readings can be a bit off even if im growing with sils that dont put a lot of ir.
So my question is, if i somehow, cover the probe with a container, covering the top and the sides of the probe leaving the bottom open, should i get proper readings?the container would be white or some other refective surface.
I have a big cap of one 20w wide sill and it would be the perfect fit. I was thinking cover the cap with reflective ductape to create shadow.
This are my two cap options
picture.php

I was thinking in using the bigger one. The probe is a bit smaller than the lighter..any of the globes woulf cover it, but the larger one the probe would be more inside because besides bigger the hole at the bottom is small compared to its size..
On the other end, the other one would cover it too but less, since its smaller and the open is big for its size..
Maybe the bigger one because of sidelighting?
What you guys think?
Thank you
Peace

ElGato

Veteran
I'm curious why you would need a Humidifier and a Heater for this little cabinet?
is it Outside? or in the Garage or something?

Sampas92

Just newbin
I'm curious why you would need a Humidifier and a Heater for this little cabinet?
is it Outside? or in the Garage or something?
Hi there
Spot on, i live with more people in my home, they know i grow, but they dont care for the well being of my plants and leave doors and windows open in the room where the grow is and for the moment, i dont have another place to put it so i built my setup on the lowbudget side but automated, temperature and humidity speaking because of the recklessness of others.the window is always open and now its winter time. I want it to be autonomous in the way it can protect itself and regulate itself, alone, im lazy.
Plus being able to get some kind of control and peace of mind in lights off, cold days, dry days, is good.
Plus a micro environment is hard to keep since its small, changes happen really fast. For example, my lights turn off, in 5minutes or less, +/- 8c down, and in colder days you can imagine right and since i cant regulate the room where the grow is, i regulate the grow instead.
Since the cable is only 25 watts to keep my roots and environment how i want it and the humi is dc, it serves the purpose i want and dont get expensive on electrical bill..
The cable is really good to start seeds also.
Do you know if what i want do do with the probe would work?

Sampas92

Just newbin
For example, now my hygrostat, the one thst havr the probe i want to cover its reading 27.7c and 59 rh..but the temp probe of one thermometer thst i have at the side of my seedling its reading 24c and i know the reading its accurate..and this is with my humi on in the moment

troutman

Seed Whore
Don't thermometers or gauges on soil. They'll get ruined eventually. Beside or slightly higher is better. :tiphat:

Sampas92

Just newbin
Don't thermometers or gauges on soil. They'll get ruined eventually. Beside or slightly higher is better. :tiphat:
Hi there thank for the input
About the probe on the soil, i know it, i have more, is an experience to learn somethings and get my grow dialed in
Regarding my question about covering the probe with something to create shade, any opinion?
Thanks

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I often see lower temps in my pots, as they're cooled as the water evaporates. Least.. I guess that's why.

I think you have the sensor in a good location, in the draft from the fan.

Is the controller a shit 2000 ? The sensor looks like that factory. Them controllers have an adjustment in the software to trim the readings up or down. However, do you have a known standard? You might have to take an average from all your devices to decide what you think is correct.

I wouldn't cover it up. It's getting what the plant will get. That's whats important.

ridoo

you can shade with potatoes chips package, the one that is very bright inside, just cut, clean, use, wrap, stick, whatever, use the bright side out to shield against heat and light.
work with some noodle soup package as well, for heavier shield use tetra pack like, from milk package and juice

recycle

Sampas92

Just newbin
I made a cartridge of panda film and aluminium ductape and now the readings on the temps are 1c to 1.5c lower then before, i guess sils dont put out much ir contributes to the small decrease?dunno...
Yes f-e spot on.
i take an average from all of them and since its a micro cab and environment change fast, i like to have a lot of readings in multiple places, lights, intake, cannopy, soil, environment, all of them have a good reason to be there because of the equipment i have there..
since they all are cheap i think guessing the average is the better way..yes one cheap 2000 like inkbird, dont know how to calibrate it, never opened it, but if it can be done then i need to know how to compare with from some other good resource of temp and rh reandigns..any way how to do it?
ridoo thank you for the input pal anyway, it is a good idea.
Thanks guys
Peace

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts