What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Epoxy in closed room.

Florere

Hello all,
I want to make a closed grow groom from plywood. But now im not sure with what i can paint it safely.
Want to make it white.

Was thinking about painting it white an if needed cover it with epoxy to seal.

Now i got two questions. Is white paint safe or does it fume. If not is white paint “waterproof” enough?

Or better epoxy? And is epoxy safe or does it fume?

Thanks in advance

slackx

Veteran
Just get pond liner, epoxy smells horrible and is costly when you have a base coat, coat and clear coat. Cement paint is okay but will detoriate from constant damp

Fixer

Any latex, eggshell or shinier, paint will be fine. You could use an oil based paint or epoxy but it would be overkill. If you want to go all out you can glue white FRP (fiberglass reinforced panel) to the plywood. Good luck!

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Any latex, eggshell or shinier, paint will be fine. You could use an oil based paint or epoxy but it would be overkill. If you want to go all out you can glue white FRP (fiberglass reinforced panel) to the plywood. Good luck!
I would like to add... bathroom latex paint. It is mildew and mold resistant. :tiphat:

OldSSSCGuy

I am with fixer - any flat white paint is just fine, it will not need an extra sealing or anything. Just don't use a semi-gloss, it reflects about 20% less light than good old flat white.

Florere

Thanks guys.

Latex i rather not use because i want w smooth surface which i can clean easy and thoroughly. That’s why i want white wood paint and or epoxy. But i dont know if it’s safe (fumes)

I believe plywood also consists of nasty glue so i need to close it off. And i want the wood to be 100% waterproof.

Thanks in advance

Fixer

Thanks guys.

Latex i rather not use because i want w smooth surface which i can clean easy and thoroughly. That’s why i want white wood paint and or epoxy. But i dont know if it’s safe (fumes)

I believe plywood also consists of nasty glue so i need to close it off. And i want the wood to be 100% waterproof.

Thanks in advance

You'd be fine with an eggshell paint . It's as close to flat as you can get and still easily clean. If you want to use epoxy it is easy to clean aggressively. I would not worry about the fumes unless you're already growing in the space. Some epoxies are food safe (MarineTex.) If you are growing in the space remove your plants and use a fast setting epoxy. Once the epoxy cures there won't be any off gassing. I'm talking about two part epoxy. If you use a one part epoxy paint you'll have to read the can.

Last edited: