What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

FOOD BANKING: the donating of excess garden vegetables

Vandenberg

I have a positive suggestion for you to ponder.:)
I generally have no problem growing large harvests of vegetables, as do other Veggie gardeners around here, I do see.
I would like to suggest to the world at large here in these forums, to Please consider helping to feed your neighbors in these current troubled times we find ourselves in.
As I do recall, the "good ol' days" we're usually called " these troubled times" as we experienced them. :)
Vandenberg :)
Don’t waste any food this year!
Donate it to a pantry near you so that there is No Food Left Behind!

https://ampleharvest.org/home-gardeners/

Share Your Produce
Once you find a food pantry or food bank near you, it’s time to donate your extra produce!
Most food pantries have specific drop-off days and times so be sure to find out when they are available to receive donations.
Please be sure to only donate food that is high-quality enough that you yourself would eat it.
Donations need to be relatively clean and of a suitable ripeness. Even small donations are welcome at most pantries!
Or you can always pool your resources with your neighbors to form a larger donation!

Please consider donating regularly to the pantry closest to you.
Your contribution will go directly to the hungry people in your community.
You will have the gratitude of your community.
"""""""""""""""""
Other resources

There are other resources available to individuals and farmers who want to help alleviate hunger in America.

Feeding America, the nation's leading domestic hunger-relief charity, seeks to feed America's hungry through a nationwide network of farmers and member food banks.
https://www.feedingamerica.org
In addition, Feeding America has a long-standing partnership with Harvest for All to use the bounty produced on the nation’s farms and ranches.
Through this nationwide program, the American Farm Bureau’s Young Farmers and Ranchers donate food, funds and volunteer hours to help to attempt to create a hunger-free America.

Plant a Row for the Hungry is a campaign of the Garden Writers Association and the GWA Foundation. Web search for a local branch.
In this public service program, the GWA asks member writers and communicators to encourage their readers, viewers and listeners to plant an extra row of produce each year and donate their surplus to local food pantries, emergency kitchens and service organizations.

Separately, small farmers who may be averse to joining organizations can get in on the act by contacting food banks in their area or their local community-supported agricultural network about where and how to donate fruits, vegetables and herbs, or meats and poultry products for the hungry.

https://www.treehugger.com/how-to-become-a-food-bank-gardener-4861962
If you bothered to read this far, I Thank you for your kind consideration,
Vandenberg :)

Last edited: