What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Does LEDs really yield the same as their "HPS equivalent"

gladysvjubb

Veteran
How about a compact unbelievably bright screw in that puts out 15,000 lumens??? Could you find a use for this $30 product?
Here.... rock 'n roll you deadbeats.

Look this up on Amazon search. You will shit your pants when you see them in action.

LED Garage Lights 150W, 4 Panels 15000lm Deformable Garage Lights Ceiling LED, Shop Light 6500K Daylight Quabright Glow Adjustable Folding Garage Lighting Bulb E26/E27 for Garage,Workshop,Warehouse

gladysvjubb

Veteran
The link doesn't work.

Thank you Sir,
I corrected the above posting. Here is what to look for on Amazon.

LED Garage Lights 150W, 4 Panels 15000lm Deformable Garage Lights Ceiling LED, Shop Light 6500K Daylight Quabright Glow Adjustable Folding Garage Lighting Bulb E26/E27 for Garage,Workshop,Warehouse

T

TakenByTheSky

I bit the bullet and bought an HLG 320xl diy kit, let's see how it does.

gladysvjubb

Veteran
With these powerhouses all you do is open the box. Remove the light. Screw it in. Adjust the panels and grow.

kritios

I bit the bullet and bought an HLG 320xl diy kit, let's see how it does.

I bought one of their 260's a while back-decided to do it when reading this thread.

Now my biggest problem is getting the plant enough nutrition so it can do what it wants to under all that light!:biglaugh:

Gry

Thank you Sir,
I corrected the above posting. Here is what to look for on Amazon.

Wow, am floored by the price, $28.89

Joint Lock

Nah, you can buy Chinese COB lights for a fraction of what expensive grow lights cost. Of course the grow lights of any quality are generally more efficient; the COBs still do a great job. I got my COB lights for less than 2 dollars per 50W chip, and they run direct off 110V AC(they make 220V too). All the COBs in my current grow(450W worth of them) cost about 15 dollars. I had to replace 2 though so make it maybe 18 dollars. It cost me more to make the cooling setup for them than the lights themselves cost.

For a bit more, there's plenty of DIY quantum board projects out there, and the low end of quantum board type lights is getting fairly affordable already.

If he was to do this it be cheaper to go get a piece of 1/8th in thick aluminum cut at 14 x 36in and buy 4x 3000k and 4x 4000K 100wchips from ebay at 7-10$ a pop and 2x 185 HLG C1400A drivers (55$ pc) and wire them in a series this would run 8 chips at 55w make the chips last longer and still get decent efficacy wo the need of active cooling . Being hes half way decent with a sodder gun and know how to wire a series circuit. (Space chips 6in apart including from the edge of aluminum) NO ACTIVE cooling needed

be a 440w draw from the wall for about 150$ plus what ever scrap yard charges u for a 7in x 36 in piece of 1/8 thick aluminum with cuts

This cover a 5 x 5 or 4 x 4 really nice and should yeild well once dialed in

100w SMD chips is what your looking for on ebay or amazon . if u want super cheap but better then what u get from pre made LED from ebay or amazon cob wise

Last edited:

gladysvjubb

Veteran
If he was to do this it be cheaper to go get a piece of 1/8th in thick aluminum cut at 7 x 36in and buy 4x 3000k and 4x 4000K 100wchips from ebay at 7-10$ a pop and 2x 185 HLG C1400A drivers (55$ pc) and wire them in a series this would run 8 chips at 55w make the chips last longer and still get decent efficacy wo the need of active cooling . Being hes half way decent with a sodder gun and know how to wire a series circuit. (Space chips 6in apart including from the edge of aluminum) NO ACTIVE cooling needed

be a 440w draw from the wall for about 150$ plus what ever scrap yard charges u for a 7in x 36 in piece of 1/8 thick aluminum with cuts

100w SMD chips is what your looking for on ebay or amazon . if u want super cheap but better then what u get from pre made LED from ebay or amazon cob wise

Fuck that. It is much easier to screw this device in to a regular light socket. The lumens will shatter your fucking mind.

gsxr97

Veteran
Amazon light?

Amazon light?

You already using these on your plants?

Will the 6500 color spectrum be okay for flowering ? That is a smoking deal and I like they run off a bulb socket .

Fuck that. It is much easier to screw this device in to a regular light socket. The lumens will shatter your fucking mind.

Klompen

If he was to do this it be cheaper to go get a piece of 1/8th in thick aluminum cut at 7 x 36in and buy 4x 3000k and 4x 4000K 100wchips from ebay at 7-10$ a pop and 2x 185 HLG C1400A drivers (55$ pc) and wire them in a series this would run 8 chips at 55w make the chips last longer and still get decent efficacy wo the need of active cooling . Being hes half way decent with a sodder gun and know how to wire a series circuit. (Space chips 6in apart including from the edge of aluminum) NO ACTIVE cooling needed

This is what I was talking about:

They are dirt cheap, but there's definitely better lights out there. They definitely do the job though, but they could be more efficient. I made 450W of actual output for less than 50 dollars including all the cooling and other stuff. The COBs themselves were under 15 dollars for 600W worth of them. I'm definitely interested in their new generation COBs(they have constant current drivers, higher efficiency, can be dimmed, and are generally better).

T

TakenByTheSky

I bought one of their 260's a while back-decided to do it when reading this thread.

Now my biggest problem is getting the plant enough nutrition so it can do what it wants to under all that light!:biglaugh:

How do you like the bud quality?

Joint Lock

Yeah, maybe the price is low, but 6k isn't the best for growing, and those aren't very efficient at 100lm/watt.

5500K-6500K produces more PAR then any other spectrum

gladysvjubb

Lumens isnt what your after when growing . PAR is what your after or PUR . Photosynthetic Active Radiation or Photosynthetic Usable Radiation . Thus the amount of usable light to the plant produced by a artificial light source . U can have all the lumens u want if the lumens arent in the proper ranges between 300-800nm of color it dont matter how many lumens is there. The plant cant use them

2 things i know is lighting and water chemistry .20yrs growing cannabis 26yrs coral reef experience in aquariums 40-500gallons

Last edited:

gladysvjubb

Veteran
That is all wonderful. Tell it to my plants.
They are perfectly content and doing their thing.
No problems.

indagroove

Veteran

That's true, but the reason is because blue photons are more powerful than red photons. I can see vegging under 5500k, but for flowering I like more red in the spectrum. With growing cannabis you have to look at not only PAR numbers, but also the spectrum curve related to different stages of growth.

That is all wonderful. Tell it to my plants.
They are perfectly content and doing their thing.
No problems.

Have you flowered under them yet?

Horselover Fat

Veteran

Lumens isnt what your after when growing . PAR is what your after or PUR . Photosynthetic Active Radiation or Photosynthetic Usable Radiation . Thus the amount of usable light to the plant produced by a artificial light source . U can have all the lumens u want if the lumens arent in the proper ranges between 300-800nm of color it dont matter how many lumens is there. The plant cant use them

2 things i know is lighting and water chemistry .20yrs growing cannabis 26yrs coral reef experience in aquariums 40-500gallons

Lumens are fine for comparing the same kind of light sources, like a white led to a white led.