What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

HOW DO YOU HANDLE DRY ICE??

AOD2012

I have the key, now i need to find the lock..
Veteran
Hey everyone, Happy Saturday. Just have a quick question.

Can you all let me know your method of handling dry ice & what not when you are putting it in a jacketed column? I was using my ninja blender to crush up the dry ice, but all the plastic cracked when i added in some denatured alcohol.

I just wanted to see how everyone else goes about doing that - going to run a batch tonight or tomorrow & just wanted to pick everyones brain on this.

Let me know when you can - thanks for the help.

aod

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Hey everyone, Happy Saturday. Just have a quick question.

Can you all let me know your method of handling dry ice & what not when you are putting it in a jacketed column? I was using my ninja blender to crush up the dry ice, but all the plastic cracked when i added in some denatured alcohol.

I just wanted to see how everyone else goes about doing that - going to run a batch tonight or tomorrow & just wanted to pick everyones brain on this.

Let me know when you can - thanks for the help.

aod
hammer:tiphat:

St. Phatty

Sandwiched in between 2 pieces of 3/4 inch plywood, under the front wheels of your truck.

Like an It's It but different.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
shit - we used to use dry ice to improve shitty pot back in the late 60's - u would lay the pot on top of the ice, let it melt, and instantly your shitty 15 dlr an oz weed was 25dlr an oz weed - but u had to get rid of it pretty quick as the effects seemed to only last a couple/few days...but in 69, once you cleaned the oz of the twigs and seeds, u probably had 1/2 oz... which lasted a couple of days...
last year tried used dry ice to make hash... thought there was tooo much green in it.. reminded me of the 60's and Moroccan hash which was TRASH... but all the hash we make from trim with bags is still is under-welming compared to the old afie/nepal black hash of yesteryear...

starke

Gloves regardless of what other mechanical means are used. Contact with bare skin will fuck your skin up quick.

Nico Farmer

Authentic Strains Farm
With gloves and I buy dry ice like that:
picture.php

and Dry Ice hash can be nice.

Bobby Boucher

I just score and cut blocks to the length of the spool I am using with a sawzall (very carefully, wearing a face shield), sandwich the spool between the blocks, stick the whole kit and caboodle through the leg of some panty hose, and pop the drain nozzle through the toesie..

The dry ice quickly takes on the shape of the spool, and maintains direct contact, top to bottom, over the majority of the spools exterior surface.

Haven't found the need yet to buy a real jacket or crush everything up. I don't run much, tho..

If I'm feeling smart, I'll use an oven mit to handle.. If I'm feeling masochistic, I use nitrile.. Sometimes I just juggle it barehanded, but ya'll really cant step to my preexisting nerve damage. Wouldn't recommend it.

grayeyes

Maybe I am just lucky or maybe you haven't asked. The ice cream company I buy dry ice from sells pelletized dry ice. The pellets are about the size of peas. Easy to use just can't beat them very hard or you get lots of contaminant.

MrSpectre

I've used a ninja blender with no problems for a very long time. Just only put ice in there. It does offgas a large amount of CO2 though!

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I've used a ninja blender with no problems for a very long time. Just only put ice in there. It does offgas a large amount of CO2 though!
and what is the necessity of crushed dry ice? Fancy cocktails?:friends:

MrSpectre

and what is the necessity of crushed dry ice? Fancy cocktails?:friends:

More surface contact resulting in quicker temperature exchange. Most places sell large pellets so turning them into "snow" makes them much more effective for our applications (tanks, dewaxer spools, cold traps etc.)

I usually just put plastic on the ground, dry ice on top, more plastic covering the dry ice and smash the shit out of it with a hammer...i know someone here can help me with this - the only place to get bulk dry ice here is this grocery store and its pretty expensive. I havnt even been in there that often and people are already asking crazy questions acting like its insane to be buying dry ice frequently....whats the best solution for this?? appreciate any feedback!