What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best Tent on the Market

ridoo

sorry I mean the Velcro stuff

dunno about the zippers, maybe magnetic closers... something silent... since yesterday I already started to imagine something to replace my zippers by magnets, I guess it's doable

Chappi

Velcro is super loud and so are zippers. I wonder if the zippers could be silenced via lubrication i.e. wd40 or some type of teflon spray. I have a bunch of different sprays in my garage but i wonder if some of it would end up inside the tent and contaminate the grow?

Honestly I don’t know that magnets could handle the negative pressure some tents have to endure, maybe?

Good questions tho.

guru64

I’m on 3rd tent first 2x4 to flower clones disentigrated, the fabric! It may have been due to me using uv bulbs to supplement the light spectrum. Have used led’s to great success. So 1st tent was I believe secret jardin2x4. 2nd tent Apollo horticulture which besides zipper handle braking was ok. Took down was only a Mother room. Tent posts rusted out so have to replace if I use it again it was 5x5 x 7’11’’ current tent is Gorilla 4x4 shorty. Love it. Got a good deal on it. Basically it boils down to this get as good as you can afford, these are your tools just like a mechanic. Cheap tools are for beginners to learn on. And trust me you will learn the value of purchasing guality. It’s just like quality seed stock, you get what you pay for. When someone puts lots of work into something and it’s quality it’s value demands and deserves a higher price. R&d advertising etc aren’t free or cheep, that’s what Chinese knockoffs are famous for copy cat. I when possible prefer to support those who do good honest work. Hope this helps.?

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
When choosing a tent, think about how you will use it. Does it have the right size ducting socks in the right places. Does it open from the top downwards so you can inspect your lights, or open from the floor upwards so you can inspect your plants. As with the ducts, are there places for your power and water pipes to go through. Is it big enough for your system, because a 120 tent has a floor of 120 minus two poles of maybe 20mm each. The corner brackets may be webbed plastic, so a 110 tray is your lot. Where is your lights and filter going, and what do they weigh? 20mm poles are common but I know of drunks that have folded in a corner stumbling about. You don't want a carbon coming down on you if you are prone to fits. Or a HID setting you on fire.

I tend not to use my zips and I tape over the hook&eye pads so only enough is uncovered to work. Negative pressure keeps the door closed and I sometimes drop a sheet. The zips are really unworkable. It's also a good idea to put the tent upon a rubber mat type floor. The type that looks like a jigsaw puzzle. It protects the material and also offers some noise isolation.

Brands.. I have had a few. It depends what fits my design. They have all worked.

ridoo

Feelin less lonely about thos noisy sh##t lol

yessss, paraffin in the zippers, gonna give a try, thanks for the ideas

about the magnet things I found the ones used in fridges doors are fine, they are slim, flat, light, and lay be strong enough

dunno about yo negative pressure but however it's not good for vpd stuff, it sucks all the good RH out...

about other noise's I made some "shields" with cardboard panels and pizza boxes stuck between them, then the whole "shield" wrapped in black plastic... the tent looks a bit like a Merkeva covered by armour plates...

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Gorilla tent?? The only 7'11" tall 4x4 I can find. I think I want a tall tent.

Last edited:

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Feelin less lonely about thos noisy sh##t lol

yessss, paraffin in the zippers, gonna give a try, thanks for the ideas

about the magnet things I found the ones used in fridges doors are fine, they are slim, flat, light, and lay be strong enough

dunno about yo negative pressure but however it's not good for vpd stuff, it sucks all the good RH out...

about other noise's I made some "shields" with cardboard panels and pizza boxes stuck between them, then the whole "shield" wrapped in black plastic... the tent looks a bit like a Merkeva covered by armour plates...
Tried quite a few lubes. No real change. The biggest improvement in noise comes from putting your knuckles on the zip ahead of the slider as you move it. Thus all vibration lives between the slider and your knuckles. Not across the entire face of a tent until it reaches the poles.

Negative pressure doesn't really mean that air is flowing. Only that it wants to. Which you probably want, so any small hole gets clean air coming in and not smelly air going out.

Mars Hydro Led

Grow on Earth Grow with Mars
Vendor
seems only gorilla offer extension height option. But for most of growers, the normal height is enough.

renne

I love my Vivosun tents, had and still have two Secret Jardin (a 2x2 and 4x4)they were older from 2009 so i imagine they are better now but I wasn’t impressed with them, the vivosun tents are great I have a 2x2, two 3x3, 5x5 and 4x8 I love them they do have small pin holes here or there not many but for the price it’s hard to beat, great zippers, does suck when storing they don’t come w bags to pack them up in like the Secret Jardins and the Velcro windows in the doors are useless but I don’t find these things a problem for me, also like that they have metal corner connectors instead of plastic, I’d buy vivosun tents again if I had to do it all over
Also love that my botanicare 3x3 tray’s actually fits in my 3x3 tents

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
But for most of growers, the normal height is enough.

Many growers have no choice because of ceiling height. I have a Gorilla with extension and it just barely fit in my 8' room. My knuckles were scraping ceiling stucco when I assembled it.

And btw . . . the Gorilla is a very well built tent and worth the extra $s if you plan to use it for many years. Just my opinion . . . but I also own a Mars. It's good but it is not a Gorilla.

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
This seems like a good time and place to share this. It was a review that I wrote and submitted in 2018 to an online forum site that also bills itself as a magazine. Fwiw, as an official reviewer, I received the tent and extension free, directly from the good people at Gorilla. The owner of the site demanded that I do a rewrite because he felt that the review was too strong and that it might piss off some of his other grow tent advertisers. I refused, the review was killed and I was banned from the site as a persona non grata. Mr. Site Owner even threatened to call the police at one point. The fact that I was a legal medical grower and that there was an international border between us kept him at bay. Yeah, he was a really nice guy. Anyways, for posterity . . .

--

“How do I love thee? Let me count the ways” E. Browning

Well, OK, maybe love is too strong a word here so let’s just say that I really, really, really like a lot of things about my new Gorilla Grow Tent. Having survived a previous grow using an inexpensive tent, I can now really appreciate the extra oomph that Gorilla brings to the table.

So, here’s what I really, really like:

The windows. Yeah, real windows with clear acrylic so you can peak inside at your babies without unzipping. Keeping it always closed helps to keep the insidious pet hair from blowing in because as anyone with a pet has learned, cats and dogs and sticky buds just don’t mix.

The zippers. A tent always means zippers and we all know that a cheap zipper will fail at the worst possible moment. In a Gorilla, the heavy duty zippers feel and work great. I have a lot more confidence in them than I ever did in my other tent. So zip away!

The material. The better tents on the market all use a thicker vinyl material that is called 1680D. Of course, Gorilla use the same except their material feels thicker and much stronger than that on any other tent that I have seen. I wouldn’t hesitate to tear this down and rebuild it numerous times with no worries about its durability.

The instructions. I actually read the directions before assembly! They are simple and excellent to get you set up quickly. I did it by myself in about 20 minutes.

The vents. Or should I say the BIG vents. In fact, there are super large, 11” double-hooded round vents for big exhaust fans and rectangular inlet vents with hinged flaps on three sides of the tent. Our plants need air and this tent lets you get it to them painlessly.

The light seal. Sealing a grow tent is critical for the flowering cycle to block any extraneous light. The zippers seal very well on the GT4, with lots of overlapping inner flaps and Velcro seals to make sure that your Gorilla tent is light-secure.

The Velcro tabs. The folks at Gorilla put Velcro tabs to hold the tent for assembly, as well as tabs to hold the doors open once you do get it setup. In other words, exactly where you need them. Thank you, Gorilla!

The height. Out of the box, with the extension installed, I could just barely fit the roof on the frame in my eight foot high room. So in my case, it is a floor to ceiling installation, which I will really appreciate whenever a Sativa starts its stretch. It also lets you mount the exhaust fan well out of the way of your light.

In the end however, a tent is a tent and there is no voodoo involved in the design of a good one. So you can go online and find a myriad of tent vendors selling their wares for cheap. However, attention to detail does really matter and once you go and actually use one of these knockoffs for a grow or two, you will be kicking yourself for not buying the best.

And that’s a Gorilla.

Grow and Review By: xxx xxxxxxx, Product Reviewer July 2018
--

And after 2 years of use, my only problem with the tent has been a glue failure on the front window Velcro fastener. It peeled off the tent side.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
LOL on the height. Jeff ay PA hydroponics has a good video on setting up one of these. My ceiling is the same height as the tent in the carpeted room, and I think the only way I will be able to get the top extension on is to assemble it first with the cover, and try to attach the extension poles with the top on already. Also, that video convinced me not to try to assemble this in a closet that isn't much bigger than the tent.

Here's his video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7kqj8cRoNw

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah extended heights is pretty standard I'd say but never needed it... I'm actually finding lower versions quite the thing... There's a Secret Jardin coming in at 170cm I believe?
Growing with LEDs I feel I don't need so much vertical room and smaller is better when fitting it in a normal appartment. I also like wider-than- long tents... I don't own a single square say 1mX1m.
I wish they made more unusual sizes and shapes to fit for example attics etc...
That said I got a revision4 Secret Jarding a while ago and it's probably the best tent I have owned yet.

CC

Latest posts

Latest posts