What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

BREEDER MALES

Hey all,

Hope this hasn't been beaten to death already. I for one would like to start seeing some males. Highly EXOTIC males! One's you breed with. The type of male if you lost him you'd get drunk for weeks and think the end was here!!!!! I'm seriously interested in learning what each one of you use as criteria and pictures of your males. I'd be super interested in photos of him from veg to flower stage. I'm interested in details as much as possible. I basicaly wanna get into the nuts and bolts of the males in this spiecies WITHOUT too much Horticulture Jargon. I would like to see this thread help anyone interested in breeding on a true scale. Not just slapping some pollen from some various...... or more than likely the only male avaliable onto some poor bitch! I myself need a little help in the male selection process....

How did you narrow down what you wanna work with with all the hype out there??? I struggle with seed whore syndrome!!!! Cuts too. Gotta have em all. How to break that cycle and get excited about a project and follow it through... Especially with the small spaces most of us have...

Thanks to any and all of you willing to participate. For me this is an never ending learning session! Have stock... AND I wanna make something EXTREMELY DIFFERENT! First two goals...

Thanks, I.R.

I

Iron_Lion

The first and only males I have kept are Rez Sour Diesel IBL, I kept 3 and just started a new round of seeds and might even keep another one if I find a good one. I will be keeping them for a while, or atleast a few runs I want to try them out on a few females before I let them go.

My goal is to make a stable of crosses with high potency, very tastey flavor and very high calyx to leaf ratio. Im no breeder just a closet hack making crosses for fun. Next male I will be adding to the collection is an Apollo 11, I need to make some more seeds for my stash.

Here is some pics.

3 leafs from 3 different males, as you can see they grow like clones.

Georgous specimines. Iron Lion...

I hope they impart the qualities you seek in the filial.

Never had the pleasure of the Sour D myself. Their out of my financial reach.

Thank you for your input. They do look identical. I bet they even produce very simillar offspring....

Best of luck with your projects. I like to toss a little pollen here n there myself for experimentation....

I have a few projects I need to further test and IBL before I'll let em out but man is this fun!

Respect, I.R....

Aardwolf

Grow out 2 regular lines clone all plants from both lines 24 times flower 1 set of the clones to establish sex and flower time, you can make open pollinated f2's or random F1 hybrids to see if the lines are worth perusing through progeny testing, once sex is established the 1st male to show is good if it shows as female then male again this IS HIGHLY REGARDED AS THE HOLY GRAIL FOR TROPICAL SATIVAS. Hollow stems are thc producing males and pith filled stems are more hemp derived but not by no means unusable for cultivating drug types, the males from the seeds germinated for the breeding project can be carefully labelled and documented on flowering times and specific traits visible. usually there is 1 or 2 males from either side as a cross can end up going either way,these males will not normally flower in time to pollinate the females and thus is something that either has no genetic contribution or never gets a chance to show or shine this is a good tool to use when selecting a male/s,, good luck.. best way is to cross each plant to each other and itself and see what is best by progeny testing its not an easy thing to achieve.. but if you look through the s1's the most homogeneous lines mother will be best suited to any further proven male stock from a different species, try a double reversal and breed females to males in reverse and grow them out to,, sativa indica crosses work well at the F1 sage as do sativa x sativa, indica xindica,,and a males stink usually determines the amount power of aroma said selected females sent aroma flavour will carry in a cross.1 in 3 crosses is usually good but pick the best to work, dependent if you want to grow an IBL your best criteria for selection is on hetrosis as you are not selecting from a field these days, then separate the lines and breed 2 lines to a particular trait you like then you can recombine the two to make things easer,

Kant C Shyt

Veteran
Aardwolf, I had heard that also about sativa males or males in general. Another was a male that produces a few female pistils. Not sure where I read it and can't remember the exact reasons for it either but it was interesting when I found it awhile back. I had an AF male that did the latter for me last year. He was covered in all male flower til about 4wks flower and he spit out 4 sets of pistils spread around the plant. Was kinda cool to see even though it didn't start making seeds so I pulled him after I breeding him. He also had resin on the stalk and leaves, not a little bit kinda a lot for its size. It was a male Blue Streak and I bred him and made some F3s, so we'll see how they turn out. Wish I would have took a pic of him.

I know Ganesh had a sick breeder male that he lost that was also covered in resin. I'd like to see some other bad ass male plants also like the OP. Ya'll take care 1

Dutchgrown

----
Veteran
Females, like is perhaps true in real life, are a dime a dozen really...many fish in the ocean, not as difficult to find a good mother plant these days, unless trying to search through 'old school' seeds for rare genetics...compared to the difficulty and search required for a proper stud male...males are more important to a serious breeder and are (for most) their prized possession. There's strength in numbers, and when going on a hunt for a proper breeding male, the more to select from the better...those who toss pollen because it's 'the only male' they got from a pack hopefully do so only for their own personal purposes and not for commercial seed releases.

I don't see any pics of males here in full flower, have posted this in my forum before, and don't mind sharing him in all his glory here. Not sure why, but most breeders don't like to show pics of their male(s). :chin:

Original Brothers Grimm DTC99:

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
in nature it does'nt matter what the male looks like or if it is the healthiest, most robust individual.
imo, you will find keeper/breeder phenos in any cross that happens regardless of intention.

JWP

Aardwolf, I had heard that also about sativa males or males in general. Another was a male that produces a few female pistils. Not sure where I read it and can't remember the exact reasons for it either but it was interesting when I found it awhile back. I had an AF male that did the latter for me last year. He was covered in all male flower til about 4wks flower and he spit out 4 sets of pistils spread around the plant. Was kinda cool to see even though it didn't start making seeds so I pulled him after I breeding him. He also had resin on the stalk and leaves, not a little bit kinda a lot for its size. It was a male Blue Streak and I bred him and made some F3s, so we'll see how they turn out. Wish I would have took a pic of him.

I know Ganesh had a sick breeder male that he lost that was also covered in resin. I'd like to see some other bad ass male plants also like the OP. Ya'll take care 1

WOW DG.... He's awesome!

Thanks all, for posting up those males. I'm just now starting to get serious about the hunt for proper males! I've tossed some pollen here n there and have came out with some pleasently unexpected kickass crosses. This alone has got me, in a mode, to take her to the next level..

I just thought it would be so cool to see some males. We see the hotties every day and not so often the guys responsible for many of the creations we share...

Thanks and keep em comin. I.R....

inquest

A few of Aces asians for ya. ;) VietBlack x Thai males. As you can see one was much more productive, but I used them all. :) This was at 5wks old, 12/12 from seed, in 12oz cups. They ended up 3 foot tall out of these cups!

picture.php

I should have detoxed then smoked 'em for selection based on effect. As it were, all the girls were nice enough, so the real selection will start once I have enough of a pool to select from. ;)

BTW, Nice males DG.

one Q

Quality
Veteran
I like the pics but can we get more thoughts on WHY you choose males?

DG- If you have a few males to choose from but one is WAY more of what youre looking for, say size and growth pattern, why choose the males that dont suit your goals? Just for diversity? is Diversity> Goals?

Personally I think the only males to choose are ones that get you closer to your goal. If you want more columnar growing plants only choose ones that take you there. Ideally you;ll have 2 or 5 males that have this trait and you can get your diversity from there but if you plant 20-30 seeds and only get 1 or 2 males that have <your goal> then bottle neck it.

inquest

Hey OneQ, I cant speak for DutchGrown but If you visualize your population of Lebanese/SourD/Hawaiian/etc. as a tree. When you select just one male/female you're selecting just one branch of that tree. I have seen many trees in which one or two branches die out while all the rest remain alive and vigorous.

Selecting fems is easy, because most all the traits you're looking for will be expressed or not. Males however, do not show many female traits that they may pass on.... weird huh!? lol

Speaking of traits, if a person only selects for one trait, columnar growth/etc., eventually that's all you'll have. Imho, one should define a goal for their project, even "pollen chucking." This goal should read like an "AKC breed standard" with many traits identified. You need to know where you're going if you're ever gonna get there! ;)

Once you've listed all of the traits you're looking for, you will notice that some are "hidden" traits, like taste, potency, quality of high, pest resistance, mold resistance, etc. You will only become aware of these traits once you've sampled the flowers or had a pest outbreak, etc. This is where male selection gets involved, not too many people smoke their males, so you must do "test crosses" to various females, grow out the seeds, smoke the daughters, and see if that guy is worth keeping. Now we have an idea what kind of high he's passing on, but we still dont know if he's weak for pests, mold, etc. Yea! more tests!! :)

AS an example, my VietBlack/Thai grow gave me 4 males which you saw and 6 females. 1 male showed great flower production compared to the rest, 2 were ok, 1 was extra tall but not much for flowers. Of the 6 girls all are acceptable for quality and potency of high based on early tests, 3 are more potent, 2 are tall, 3 have dense flowers, 1 shows more color on the stems, 1 has an x-mas tree shape, 1 is lighter green, 3 are more nute sensitive, etc.

I could go on and on, but the most important fact at this point is ALL of the girls were acceptable high and potency. This tells me that most or all of the males were, too! So I lucked out! :D :D I still used all the males because I didnt have enough of the "good" ones to use only them. Remember, this population has TWO parents and I need to preserve as many hidden genes as possible, because I'm not going to test for all of them. :)

Anywho.... that's how I'm doin it. Your milage may vary...

one Q

Quality
Veteran
...snip...
Speaking of traits, if a person only selects for one trait, columnar growth/etc., eventually that's all you'll have. Imho, one should define a goal for their project, even "pollen chucking." This goal should read like an "AKC breed standard" with many traits identified. You need to know where you're going if you're ever gonna get there! ;)

Exactly! Even if youre growing a few seeds at a time... Always germinate more seeds than you;ll need. I get rid of any plant that runts, shows an unreasonable sensitivity to nutes, or just plain old grows in ways that I dont want... I dont even wait to smoke her. Shit 5wks 6wks in if she sucks she's out. Make room for the shiners to get all the extra space and light. Then when the male is introduced, I know that every plant (female) is headed in my direction. Then Label seed package with mom traits... Purple, squat, lanky, stretches, etc.

AS an example, my VietBlack/Thai grow gave me 4 males which you saw and 6 females. 1 male showed great flower production compared to the rest, 2 were ok, 1 was extra tall but not much for flowers. Of the 6 girls all are acceptable for quality and potency of high based on early tests, 3 are more potent, 2 are tall, 3 have dense flowers, 1 shows more color on the stems, 1 has an x-mas tree shape, 1 is lighter green, 3 are more nute sensitive, etc.

See, HERE I would have only chose the better 2. Just because You may have better hidden traits, but you will still have LOTS of "non ideal" traits to go thru first. Where as the "better" 2 would still give u some diversity but still take you in that direction. Just ME... not being a boss.

... because I'm not going to test for all of them. :)
exactly

My words in blue

Dutchgrown

----
Veteran
My selection of males are to some degree based on simple science, the basic principles of genetics, and the probability of inheritance, along with some rather complex calculations...coupled with 20+ years experience. Knowing one's way around a Punnet Square, and knowing what goals you are looking to achieve, is the best start for any of you new to breeding. ;)

:thank you:

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Highly EXOTIC males! One's you breed with.

W.Widow x Free Tibet [So7omon Seeds] ,, selected (1:2) for its resin content (look closely) and hooked leaf pattern (which continued in lineage)

picture.php

Bubble Dust [GrowDoc Seeds] ,, selected (1:100) for its vigour/expression after topping out

7253BDm1.JPG

All round we are looking for plants that are either 'typical' of the line,, or unique in standpoint

Note: we didnt keep these male plants,, but that's what we were looking for when breeding off them.

peace n flowers