What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Red Eye South Africa Cannabis Road Trip.

afropips

Hiya,
I just picked up issue 22 of Red Eye Magazine
& they have some cool info & photos.
Do any of you Saffers get the Red Eye or other Weed Mag's?
Is there any stores or fleemarket entrepreneurs who vend the Canna magazines?

They have a good photo of one of the Cool Runnings bars.
I have managed to frequent the Hatfield House a few times but none of the others.

Cool Runnings.....

G

never seen or heard of either mags.

Cool Runnings hasn't been that cool for years now. it's pretty much a family place
and they make you put out your joint now (or kick you out).
Tings 'n Times was always better imho, better music/vibe and the rasta upstairs who always had weed hehe.

Jim, did you ever go to Shaft?

afropips

Hi,
Never heard of Shaft before, either!

There used to be some Rastas on the Greenmarket square in 97
who had a stand that sold pipes, bongs & High Times Magazine.

You guys need the Mag's down there like in CNA , Lol!
Its about time there was Huge Legalise movements
there. It certainly would help the unemployment rate
if we could legally grow the economy without
U.S anti weed Propaganda.

Cheers........

zamalito

Veteran
Hopefully if/when I make it to africa I can do my part to help make a few jobs. Sometimes I wish I wasn't american because I worry about someone viewing an american trying to bring change to a culture with contempt. I don't know why don't they see the wonderful things we're doing in iraq? J/k

G

i don't think africa and the developing world in general should follow the examples set by the so called "first world". keep in mind that all africans were "unemployed" before the whites came, and they were living just fine without money.

zamalito

Veteran
Yeah you're right about that. To some ectent I was kidding but at the same time if I'm making a little more than I need I feel it is important to share and give back to my neighbors if they are in need so as not to harbor any resentments.

G

yeah i hear ya, distributing surplus is very important and a noble thing indeed, as long as people don't depend on it for their survival, you know, the phrase "help, to control" comes to mind.
here's the way i see it: give a man a fish, he eats for a day. teach him to fish, he's slightly better off. teach him aquaculture, and he becomes his own god.

afropips

Hiya SatGhost,
Does the Sat stand for Sativa or are you feeling flat? lol
Here is a favorite poem I copied from a poetry book by
Benjamin Zephaniah from a friend in Zimbabwe in 1988,
while visiting for the Peter Gabriel, Sting & Chapman
Human rights concert.

I thought it might appeal to you!

Anti.
See suffering all around me
can't think what will happen next
these ideas like plagues of roaches
make me angry make me vex.

Big nice houses nice & easy
is this really human style?
nice & easy that can't please me
cools me not nor makes me smile.

Running up town, running down town
everywhere it seems the same
its the same old story of men
who use blood to entertain.

Is it right that the delight
is in the power struggle game?
I won't accept that, I refuse that,
I must liberate my name.

Try to brainwash me or take me
to a place to do their deeds
no hitman can't stop me now
for I must gain my peoples needs,
have to rebel from corruption
have to find another path
find a point to roll my joint
& distribute out my wrath,
running up town, running down town
won't forgive their lawless crimes
won't forget that they killed Garvey
after making him serve time

And so I come to tell you
& I think you should know
I just can't sit & watch this happen
can't sit down & let this go,
my middle name is anti-society
nature is the feeder
anti-society
damn that hypocrisy.
anti-society.

AfroVision = There has to be constructive ground roots sustainable eco projects
commenced in Africa. If only a powerfull High Fibre content endemic cannabis variety could be freely harvested by the masses for Legal International Markets then the money could go to the people that deserve it.

We all have to have some Pipe Dreams, Lol

Cool Runnings..........

G

lol Jim, no it's "sat" because like you, the sativas drive me mal!
nice poem, but i'd like to hear the analysis from you or anyone else who's into poetry, he alludes to many things and to me it just sounds like a good old general rant, i'm afraid i don't quite catch his meaning.

i don't think it's wise for people find more ways to make more money, unless it's a means to an end (that end being land purchase for a small familly unit). these "people who deserve it", if they already have arable land to grow hemp, why should they be trying to earn capital? "sustainable agriculture" is an oxymoron, agriculture can't be sustainable if the produce is exported!

Last edited:
G

i most certainly do not, and have never had "00" for the 11th and 12th digit in my ID number.
Jim, i've never been good at picking up on innuendo, so please spell it out for me.

sorry if i'm getting off topic.
back to the "Canna magazines": why would anyone willingly PAY for a magazine that's mostly advertising?

afropips

Hi Satghost,
If you are a SA citizen & never had 00 for the 11th & 12 th digit in your Id number you must be very young otherwise this might some it up:-

White Comedy
(from 'Propa Propaganda')
"I waz whitemailed
By a white witch,
Wid white magic
An white lies,
Branded by a white sheep
I slaved as a whitesmith
Near a white spot
Where I suffered whitewater fever.
Whitelisted as a whiteleg
I waz in de white book
As a master of white art,
It waz like white death."

Regards Cannabis magazines.
OK it would be great if the governments provided the info for free
but until then its up to individuals to make a plan.
I do admit they carry a fair amount of advertising the same as
Farmers Weekly ,Travel Africa, Discover Africa, Getaway, OutThere & Gardening magazines.
The same way people willing to buy these mag's should have the choice
of Cannabis & Hemp Magazines.
The main purpose is the info & knowledge diseminated.

South Africa as a model cannot compare with Malawi but
basically if the mass population of Africa had the truth regards Cannabis production for buds, seeds & Hemp & there were movements etc towards legalisation the power would come back to the people & a far more earth friendly based economy would be achieved.

The Cannabis & Hemp magazines available have provided the info & made way for the
economical benefits for individuals & companies that now exist in the Northern Hemisphere.

NB:Not everone has the pleasure of knowledge retrieved from the internet.

The Runnings........

PS:private Rasta Radio stations would also go a long way, IMO!

Last edited:
G

quite correct, i'm relatively young compared to yourself. was that what you meant to ask? i hope i'm getting better at this innuendo thing, i'll give it another go then shall i? in the unspecified past, the 11th and 12th digit in your id number was used to denote which race you were, correct? i'm still not sure how it relates to Benjamin Zephaniah poems, but don't tell me i'd like to try and get this one on my own. also, please give me more examples so i can try it again.

i agree that those magazines you've mentioned have about the same amount of advertising in them as cannabis magazines, but what they advertise is far worse, environmentally speaking. farmers weekly for example, is likely to advertise de-worming medication for your 5 million head of cattle or a few tonnes of genetically modified, poison treated, sterile F1 mielie seeds for your 10000 hectare farm, whereas cannabis magazines advertise products like Ph meters and seeds and encourage people to grow their own.

this is my point: traditionally, black farmers feed themselves and their families, and white farmers feed nations. which type of farming is leading to a huge drop in the fertility of the arable land in africa? "earth friendly based economy" is an impossible scenario. you're an enemy of africa if you think otherwise. capitalism is the problem. economics is a bullshit invented science.

edit: it's not the information in mags or on the net that i disagree with, it's the advertising and the costs.

Last edited:
afropips said:
Hiya SatGhost,
AfroVision = There has to be constructive ground roots sustainable eco projects
commenced in Africa. If only a powerfull High Fibre content endemic cannabis variety could be freely harvested by the masses for Legal International Markets then the money could go to the people that deserve it.

We all have to have some Pipe Dreams, Lol

Cool Runnings..........
http://www.csir.co.za/plsql/ptl0002...CT?DIVISION_NO=1000025&sub_project_no=7053566

Personally I have doubts about the uptake of hemp amongst subsistence farmers.

afropips

Hiya Sat,
I am not suggesting following the "First World" with there exploitive practices.

If the people have the info & licence regards growing cannabis & hemp they could be a lot better off than now.

I don't agree with this statement:
"i don't think it's wise for people find more ways to make more money, unless it's a means to an end (that end being land purchase for a small familly unit). these "people who deserve it", if they already have arable land to grow hemp, why should they be trying to earn capital? "sustainable agriculture" is an oxymoron, agriculture can't be sustainable if the produce is exported!"

These People who deserve it do not always have arable land & do not have the right or the info regards the benefits of cultivating cannabis.
That why there needs to be something done & the magazines are a way to start the ball rolling. Everyman has a right to better his family & tribe.

I disagree with your statement:-
"traditionally, black farmers feed themselves and their families, and white farmers feed nations. which type of farming is leading to a huge drop in the fertility of the arable land in africa? "earth friendly based economy" is an impossible scenario. you're an enemy of africa if you think otherwise. capitalism is the problem. economics is a bullshit invented science."

Unfortuanately we can not escape capitalism but we can seek to improve every mans lot with all the benefits that the cannabis plant has to offer compared to existing cultivated crops & plundering hard wood forests.
Cannabis derived products are far more greener & eco friendly than wood & petrochemical derived products.

There is Nothing for Maharra!

Cool Runnings.........

Last edited:
G

exactly Jim, nothing is for mahala. look at it from a scientific perspective, biomass is biomass. it takes organic elements to grow biomass and if if you export biomass you're exporting organic elements. explain to me, what makes hemp different? do you think african farmers will hesitate in putting petrochemical fertilisers on their land after a few years when the hemp just isn't growing as well as it used to?

"Everyman has a right to better his family & tribe"
i couldn't agree more with this statement, but land is the basis of wealth and if you have no land then sure, by all means play the money game if that's the only way to get it. the small, family-owned farm is what made the roman empire the greatest that the world has seen, and it can be the way of the future if governments give land to small families that want to "go rural", and allow them to grow any plant they wish, so long as they don't try to make money off the land.

SatGhost said:
exactly Jim, nothing is for mahala. look at it from a scientific perspective, biomass is biomass. it takes organic elements to grow biomass and if if you export biomass you're exporting organic elements. explain to me, what makes hemp different? do you think african farmers will hesitate in putting petrochemical fertilisers on their land after a few years when the hemp just isn't growing as well as it used to?
I believe this is the largest problem encountered in the African environment.
I've seen it time and time again. While you could work around this, I believe you need to step away from family parcel farming, and look at community co-op farming as a solution. I have some ideas, but in order to make it work would you would have to change cultures and that is unlikely to happen.

SatGhost said:
"Everyman has a right to better his family & tribe"
i couldn't agree more with this statement, but land is the basis of wealth and if you have no land then sure, by all means play the money game if that's the only way to get it. the small, family-owned farm is what made the roman empire the greatest that the world has seen, and it can be the way of the future if governments give land to small families that want to "go rural", and allow them to grow any plant they wish, so long as they don't try to make money off the land.
I don't think the Roman example is the best. Sure, their farming was outstanding, but they were consumers of note, and resorted to war to expand not only empire but breadbasket. In fact, a lot of their produce was not "Roman" derived as such, but derived from conquered nations. Ultimately their consumer need was a contributing factor to their downfall.
As for government parcel allocation/subsidy, it may work, but there has to be an economic benefit for the government. If there isn't you end up with Zimbabwe, instead of Israel.

G

hey MZ, by the roman example i just meant that small farms are the way to go, not that we should try to be like the romans. i'd like to hear what ideas you have, when you say that people need to move away from family parcel farming, do you mean that food production, waste disposal, manufacture of equipment and things like that should be centralised and separate from urban areas?

afropips

Hiya Sat Ghost,
You are missing the point which is:-

Tens of millions of the sick and dying, the displaced, the hungry, homeless and hurting humanity, who need better agriculture, secure agriculture, and good cash crops, pastures, grains, oils, materials, building materials, medicinals, and specialty products, could benefit from a new liberalization and legalization of Cannabis immediately. This would greatly increase agricultural investments, financing, developments and incentives along with a much more level playing field for farmers and people all across Africa. It also has potential to help create a climate of hope, peace and unity so dearly needed.

People are starving that could be better off & if allowed to plant cannabis as an alternate the rewards are greater than other crops beeing cultivated & also better for the environment.
It all starts with info & mag's are just one avenue to achieving the Vision.

The magazines can supply the info regards the biomass advantages of Cannabis compared to plants cultivated at the moment.
Cannabis also requires less irrigation & can be cultivated easier than conventional cereal crops without harmfull pesticides.

Cool Runnings..........

Last edited:
G

"The point is the West controls the land & it is not for use for the people
that deserve it."

agreed, but what happens when these people gain control of the land? they repeat the same mistakes. it seems to me you care more about africans than africa itself, how does the saying go: small minds discuss people, average minds discuss events and great minds discuss ideas.

"Have you done any low key living in the bush lately & have you ever travelled North of the Border."

no, but as you pointed out i'm young and i've got plenty of time to achieve both of these things. i do live a much more sustainable lifestyle than anyone i know. tell me Jim, just why are you in the UK when you have the Afrovision at heart? those pounds working out nicely for you?

"People are starving that could be better off & if allowed to plant cannabis as an alternate the rewards are greater than other crops beeing cultivated & also better for the environment."

Jesus Jim, listen to yourself man. if people are starving, why do they want to make money? to open a MacDonalds? why don't they just eat the food crops in the first place? and how is hemp/cannabis going to save the environment or feed mouths better than say, tomatoes?