What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Inert gas Fumigation-killing mites

G

JLP said:
Thanks guys.

I don't recall the plant being damp.I'll test some more plants,I grow everything from seed so I'm culling males on a regular basis.

JLP
LOL...I'd like to see the males you're keeping :D.

JWP

Nice. Any ideas for fungas gnats? I had to get rid of a whole crop because of them peristant little bastards :(

G

Duuude...the question about fungus gnats will take this thread off track. I'll PM ya and help ya out. Fungus gnat eradication/control is eeeasy.

JLP

Veteran
Yeah,it should kill anything that requires oxygen but your going to have to treat the soil with something because those types of pests seem to burrow and the gas won't penetrate.Maybe some sevin dust or diatamaceous earth on the surface and then water from the bottom up by soaking in a bucket.

Spotted another male today so I'll do some more testing with the CO2 and maybe even the Argon mix I have.

JLP

Interesting theory JLP. However, doesnt the plant produce oxygen as part of its natural respiration process? And since the mites are very small, couldnt it be possible for the tiny amounts of oxygen the plant produces to sustain the mites? Just another theory lol, but I cant wait to see the results of a test.

Last edited:

nomaad

Veteran
bump: i am going to be doing some experimentation with this method soon. any new ideas on the subject?

W

whiterasta

I am not sure that the gas will negate the O2 produced by the plant. The borg are small and are suckers so spend most of their time near the stomata of the leaves. Unless the plants have been in total darkness to stop photosynthesis they will likely produce enough O2 to allow at least some survivors. I think I would use N2 and really flood the plant for several hrs if it would survive if I was to attempt this. Much rather prevent than react though.
WR

SKUNK420

Using CO2 to kill bugs is nothing new to the hydroponic world. It doesn't work 100% all the time and you will have to do multiple treatments to kill hacking eggs. I dosed some of my plants in the past for 5 hours and the leafs looked just like JLP's actually turned some purple but in the end I would only do it for a small number of plants in the early stages of bug infestation. To me it's to hard to seal a large number of plants but if your determined go for it.

Note the EPA just said wasting CO2 warming the earth.......LOL what a joke. Thanks Al Gore.

usda101

Thnkx for the info Puddintane . I used straight Co2 an didnt notice leaf discoloration , But the few plants I gased leaves were already badly damaged . Im doing preventive measures for my next run but if I run into problems I will give it a go .

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i hate mites, co2 kills them good, but u gotta b careful about toxicity....
lurkn, cuz i hate mites.

jtm

Some kind of shaman
Veteran
I know thatthis is an old thread but, because I need to try CO2 for some mites, I'm wondering:

Why somebody would put a plant in a pure CO2 environment, when 10000-15000ppm would be enough??? 10000ppm is 1%, very far from pure CO2 atmosphere!!! An 1-2 hours exposure should do nothing to plants!

Ok then, I will experiment these day, and let you know the results, on a new thread, if this will be the case.

jtm

Some kind of shaman
Veteran
Thanks for advice. Of course, I will not breathe in there. I still can keep my breath 1-2 minutes, hehe...