What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chloramine

MickFoster

10 years ago my city changed from sterilizing our water with chlorine to using chloramines. I know that chlorine will evaporate if left out for 24 hrs. but chloramines won't evaporate. Apparently the only way to remove chloramines is running it through a carbon filter like Brita or using r/o. I was wondering if I can use straight tap water in a coco grow without removing the chloramines. My tap water is 180 ppm.

Granger2

Veteran
It takes a certain kind of carbon filter like the KDF-85 to remove chloramines. Brita won't do it. If you search for chloramines, you'll find other easy ways to remove them like with molasses, Vitamin C, etc. Cheap, fast, easy. No need to grow with Chloramines which will fuck with your microherd. Good luck. -granger

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
Granger is probably right about organics
Ah dunno.
But for coco, Chloramine is a good thing.
Have used coco with raw tap water for years and Chloramine has not been an issue.

Of course my tap usually runs a PH of 8.something, so I mix it 50:50 with rain water.
That would just about cut the 180ppm in half, too.

I say no worry.
Aloha,
Weezard

Scrappy-doo

I used a tsp molasses per 5gal tap water to remove chloromines for my entire last run and developed some deficiencies towards the end as microbeman warned in his thread may happen. It was Iron or zinc I think. If you use molasses I'd suggest alternating with some other organic material to neutralize chloromines.

There's a filter sold by boogie brew that removes chlorine and chloromines. I paid $50 for it but I'm sure it could be found without the brand name for much cheaper. Hooks right up to a hose.

Latest posts

Latest posts